The one post an hour thread

Mahdi

• 4 weeks later...

So my friend left for Afghanistan 4 days ago (Canadian Military), and tonight there is a report that his group had an accident and 13 people had minor injuries.

13 Canadian soldiers hurt in Kandahar collision

Definitely makes me think more about the war and what happens over there. I can only imagine what parents and significant others think every time an injury or death is reported over there.  :-

During my tour in Iraq, We received the most devastating singular attack on US forces.

An insurgent managed to find his way into our fob (forward operating base), among the local military(The Iraqi's).  His body armor, ammo pouches, and pockets where stuffed with plastic explosives and large ball barrings.  He entered our chow hall, detonated his himself.  There was no remains found of him.  We ran out of stretchers and had to use the tables to carry out the wounded.  It was a very disturbing and moving event.

The result was 22 mortally wounded, and 80 injured.  It was a nightmare.  I dream about it to this day.  

I don't like telling this story, but it relates.  It was a huge security infraction, I had to guard the remains of the tent until investigations where finished. No one cleaned anything out of it, there was blood everywhere for weeks, I found those ball barrings all at least a mile away.

These are the things in life that make you desensitized.

Definitely makes me think more about the war and what happens over there. I can only imagine what parents and significant others think every time an injury or death is reported over there.  :-

A article relating to the attack, there are other ones, if you google the name the media decided to give it.

About how parents react, you are not allowed to call home, untill all victims families are notified about their relatives death.  I wasn;t allowed to call home for a week.  My mother watched the news every hour, watched the caskits come off the plane state side.  She was so obsessed with finding something about me, see noticed... my finger in a picture of me unloading food off a truck.  My finger!, which is malformed do to a .. accident with an apple grinder. lol... only a thing a mother would notice.  I love my mother to death, I hated not being able to call her and tell her i was alright. 

I ship off to Ft. Sill on July 6th Of this year for 9 weeks of basic training. Then right after I ship off to Ft. Sam Houston for 16 weeks of combat medic training. Meaning that in Feb of 08, I'm eligable for deployment to Iraqistan.

Actully, I have drill this weekend to mention it.

I'll probably do the same things I do no matter which time of the year:

working, sport, poker, watch tv shows, read, play some shooter and go ride my bmx

probably I will only shift the priorities a bit: working and the fitness workout stays the same and consumes most of the time. but I'll maybe go bmx'ing a bit more often and take this time from the "poker-tvshow-books-pcgames"-part of my day  :)

maybe I might even visit a party again.

Who would you side with? Best friend or significant other?

Years ago, before I married my husband, he had a best friend/roommate who was a complete pig. Every time this guy's girlfriend left the apartment, he'd call up another girl to come over to sleep with him. He constantly had girls in and out of their place for that purpose. He even had one crawl out the window so the girlfriend wouldn't catch her.

So one day while I'm at my boyfriend's apartment waiting for him to return from class, the best friend's girlfriend starts telling me about the exciting weekend that she and the guy have planned. She said that she really loved the roommate and was planning to give up her virginity to him on the their weekend trip. She was only a freshman in college, he'd already graduated and was working as an engineer.

Mind you, I'd overheard the best friend bragging to another guy about how this weekend he was going to get "some" from this silly girl and that

1. Would you have allowed a significant other to come between you and your lifelong best friend?

2. Was I wrong to warn the girl about the roommate's scandalous behavior?

1. I'd try avoiding conflict with both, although seriously, I don't know because I don't believe in such a concept as "best friend". I'd try to limit contact to minimum with anyone of whose behavior I do not approve, but would rather not engage in open conflict.

2. If you absolutely felt that the encounter with this guy was a threat to the girl's wellbeing, then I think you were right to warn her. But, seeing the aftermath, the consequences might probably been even more dire. Although it doesn't seem to me that this girl really wanted to jump off the bridge, she could involuntarily hurt herself or others in this reckless attempt at drawing attention to her person/feelings.

Two questions:

1. Would you have allowed a significant other to come between you and your lifelong best friend?

2. Was I wrong to warn the girl about the roommate's scandalous behavior? (By the way, my husband never once blamed me for the break in the friendship.)

I'd do exactly the same you did. I don't see any other intelligent way of doing things.

I'd do exactly the same you did. I don't see any other intelligent way of doing things.

you just agree with chatfsh because you want so desperately meet her hot norwegian friend  ;D  ;)

"1. Would you have allowed a significant other to come between you and your lifelong best friend?"

If your friend/significant other is in the wrong, you're not doing them a favour by indulging them. If they are then unable to come to terms with that fact, that's their problem, not yours.

"2. Was I wrong to warn the girl about the roommate's scandalous behavior? (By the way, my husband never once blamed me for the break in the friendship.)"

You were entirely correct to do so.

you just agree with chatfsh because you want so desperately meet her hot norwegian friend  ;D  ;)

Damnit, don't reveal my dirty plans!

Though I guess I'm a little transparent...

Chatfsh, where's those pictures? And phone number?