Best Game Ever

Arraki

Well, a lot (A LOT) of new games aren't very good, still, you should try some GOOD new games.

Well, if I have time for that... ::)

BTW, I was mistaken. The latest RTS (by release date) I played is WarCraft III: TFT. I liked they brought naval combat back, although in that truncated way.

Prince Of Persia

That's a really great game made by a genius. With such a limited number of elements, there are 12 unique, challenging and fun to play levels. I don't mention the excellent character animation that was done by hand, without all those motion capture techniques people have nowadays 8)

Yep, I like stuff like those. It's a very simple game, without many types of traps (just the floor spikes and the muncher thingy will be enough) but I've had so many varied moments just playing the same level and avoiding the same traps. A lot deals with how the level designer combined the traps with other elements of the game. And this got better in Prince Of Persia 2.

I still play them to this day. You gotta love Jordan Mechner.

Yep. But it was terribly difficult. It had some quirky physics, like not being able to hold on to ledges on occasion. Or it could just be the emulator...

They had very bizarre stuff, like bosses and new traps. I remember watching my cousin try to cross one particular screen which had a row of munchers placed together. And they were timed. It was so hard to walk through all of them one by one, and yet running through just didn't make the cut (though the prince did get cut into half each time). Gorgeous. The music was somewhat monotonous to me though, especially the theme for the first 3 levels. I prefer the PoP2 music loads.

Hmmm... If an arcade machine game is cr@p, someone will only waste a single coin trying it out and then leave, rendering the machine less than profitable and hence the game as well (arcade store owners will not pay for things that are not profitable... it would be akin to a TV ratings system. Along with general renown, ratings collected from different arcades would wolly decide the arcade owners next investment. This would explain arcade nostalgia, back in the day there were few cr@p games at the arcades because they were a serious business. As compared to the decrepit toddler satisfiers of today). Thusly, for the game to be profitable it must also be good, demanding a real effort from the developer for them to reap their profits. In addition to this, little effort is wasted as per thee typical cash cow production processes. Eg: no effort wasted in hyping (Sure the AI in Half-Life 2 can learn... sarcasm/) and other BS to get people to buy the game because this will not help.

Could it be then, that the decline of arcades has played a great part in the decline of gaming? Without the ''arcade economy'' developers just can push whatever cr@p and once purchased by the hapless (or sometimes foolish) gamer it is to late and the developer has made his profits.

The arcade economy?

I really don't thunk there is an Arcade economy such as those in the past at all anymore.

Todays so-called, "Arcade Economy" is nothing more than people going to Wal-Mart and standing in line to try out a new console thats locked up in a glass case on a large new plasma screen T.V.

On a different note, the very first arcade game I can recall other than the Atari pong crap was a game called Asteroids. Man the quarters I waisted on that damn thing. Although then it was considered a cool game...and the pinball machine was mainly for the high school kids,the 'cool guys' game. I would hate to see someone show me an exact number and amount of coins I waisted on those games back then.  :P

''The arcade economy? I don't think that's unique to arcades.''

Well, no one said that it's unique to arcades. It's just different to the nature of todays typical gaming economy. Once you've bought an over-hyped games and find you're self dissapointed, you're 80$ or so is gone and the store now has it with no need to fear you're dislike of the game. This kind of thing encourages the store to buy more of such products regardless of their quality and so the manufacturer and/or company grows wealthier to and hence continues to produce such games.

In an arcade, people would play the game once, find it's cr@p and never touch it again. You wouldv'e lost a meager coin or two and the non-profiting arcade owner would make sure his future purchases are wiser and are of quality games.

When I speak the arcade economy I speak of these two differently natured gaming markets.

''How then could the effects on arcades trickle to gaming in general?''

Not sure what you mean. Arcades have little effect on gaming nowadays, especially considering as very few serious arcades remain in the world.

''I really don't thunk there is an Arcade economy such as those in the past at all anymore.

Todays so-called, "Arcade Economy" is nothing more than people going to Wal-Mart and standing in line to try out a new console thats locked up in a glass case on a large new plasma screen T.V. ''

Yep.

Of course arcades have their disadvantages in that you can't bring the machine back home with you lol, but at least back then the frequency (time-wise) of great games seemed a lot higher.

Most of the games I play now a days are many years old.

I remember the Soviet-era arcade machines, which were mostly racing games with actual steering wheels, and naval combat simulation with periscopes. I don't know if they were made in Russia or imported; I think they were original though.

There were also handheld consoles with a sidescroller game featuring characters from a popular Soviet/Russian cartoon. Officially they were sold as electronic alarm clocks ;D I've never owned one, but seen people playing them :)

I think I'd disagree with that. Tomb Raiders I and III were great, true, but I think that following the disapointment of Chronicles and the debacle that was AoD, Crystal Dynamics have done a very god job in revitalising the franchise. Legend was very linear, true, but the Anniversary edition showed that they can still make relatively open gameplay.

I was starting with the second Tomb Raider and I am huge fan of TR: The Last Revelation. As for Angel of Darkness, it was only game by Core that I didn't like, Chronicles was very good for me. I am too rooted in old TRs to like the new way of portaiting Lara and her adventures. True, the graphics are better and the heroine is full of life but it hasn't the same atmosphere as the old ones.