Student Tasered for not showing his ID

Andrew

Youtube video, good quality.

So they ask for his ID, he has none, they ask him to leave he agrees but doesn't want them to touch him, so they taser him, repeatedly over and over again.

You can expect this to be in the news .

news article about it.

At the end of the video one of the cops tells a protesting student to get back to class or he will be tasered as well.

Seems the cops were too lazy to simply drag him out of the building, instead repeatedly tasering him will somehow magically make him stand up and walk out.

EDIT:

According to an article the student told the police he had a medical condition. Good thing the cops kept tasering him.

Of course the student was Muslim so he was obviously a terrorist and a threat to everyone in the library.

"Stand up, stand up."

Sure, because it's just so easy to stand up when your legs have been turned to jelly by a massive electric shock. And if it isn't, well another electric shock is only going to make things better, right? "Went limp" indeed. Idiots.

It's scary that people would do this, it's scarier that people in power would allow them to do so, but the worst thing is that the people behind the taser seem to be lacking basic common sense.

Quote from a Youtube watcher:

"the computer lab manager called the cops in the first place because he wouldnt show ID and wouldnt leave"

"all you idiots who say that tazing someone for not showing an id is wrong...are just stupid....do you really think the cops were like, " hey you got ID? and he was like no sorry i forgot it, i'll just leave", then cops were like, oh wait a sec, if you dont have your ID we are going to taze you..." yeah you idiots im sure the cops were like, no ID? ok you get tazed.... the kid obviously created a scene in order to get tazed in the first place... you are all idiots, well most of you."

i agree with this youtube watcher....  i mean... if the guy has enough energy to scream F*CK YOU! to the cops and talk intelligently and say "i want your badge numbers" then he obviously had strength to walk out of the lab.  If his jaw muscles work, then his leg muscles can work too.  Also, every police officer that uses the taser has gone thru a training course where he has had it used on HIM.  SO cops know exactly what it feels like and know its limits.

There are cases where i have seen cops use it pretty quickly... one lady wouldnt step out of a car so a cop tasered hER and she jumped out of the car screaming.  Then he tasered her again on the ground.   Sure this can be seen as abusive... but people need to learn to respect law enforcement.  Stop F*cking around and insulting them and just do what they ask you to do.  If you cause a scene and possibly make their work harder or more dangerous.. . your stupid ass deserves to get tasered.

My verdict...... Taser that ass.

The correct response, if you've got to kick them out, is to arrest someone, not use violence on them. I should point out that there was more than one voice - someone seemed to be trying to negotiate on his behalf, and I don't think it was the victim who was trying to get the badge numbers.

And I don't agree that people always need to respect the police. Sure, you don't give them a hard time for no good reason, but police will quite often make instructions they have no right or cause to give, and, when people refuse, some police are just too stubborn to let it drop so break out the batons.

And seriously, which is worse: one guy allegedly in the wrong place, or repeatedly applying painful electrical shocks to someone?

The person wasn't even charged with anything. If he was somehow breaking the law (say trespassing), then yes arrest him and maybe zap him ONCE for resisting arrest to be able to safely handcuff him. If he wasn't breaking the law I don't see how that constitutes tasering him repeatedly. Once a person is in handcuffs, I'm not exactly sure why you would need to zap him so he would somehow become more cooperative.

I don't remember seeing videos of police officers being repeatedly zapped over a short period of time. All I ever see is the officer getting zapped once, and regaining control within 10 seconds. Never saw them get repeatedly zapped to see the effects.

Oh well, he'll get lots of money when he settles the lawsuit.

The correct response, if you've got to kick them out, is to arrest someone, not use violence on them. I should point out that there was more than one voice - someone seemed to be trying to negotiate on his behalf, and I don't think it was the victim who was trying to get the badge numbers.

And I don't agree that people always need to respect the police. Sure, you don't give them a hard time for no good reason, but police will quite often make instructions they have no right or cause to give, and, when people refuse, some police are just too stubborn to let it drop so break out the batons.

And seriously, which is worse: one guy allegedly in the wrong place, or repeatedly applying painful electrical shocks to someone?

I'm shocked you would say we shouldnt always respect the police.  They are law enforcement and they have a job to do.  If you wish to challenge them....by all means do so in a court of law... do not cause a scene and complicated matters.

The repeated painful shocks wouldnt have occured if he had respected the police.  Its like a little kid burning his hand on the stove and screaming "WHY DID YOU BURN ME STOVE WHHHHHHHHHY!!"  Its idiocy, get the hell away from the stove.  Maybe it was abuse of power.. maybe it was one too many shocks... but your a friggin moron to push them to do it.

I mean if someone has power to imprison you, shock you, mace you, or shoot you..... why would you push them to it?  Its like walking up to a big thug in Harlem and screaming N*gger right in his face and then say the thug was exploiting/abusing his superior strength in whooping your ass.

In life some people will have power over you and some wont.  Dont piss off the ones that do.  Simple as that.

oh and btw its not the police's job to drag people out of a building.  Also dragging someone means you must make grappling physical contact in which case things can get ugly.  I ahve seen videos of officers being killed on duty when confronted with someone who got the best of them in a physical confrontation.  If i were a cop i wouldnt endanger myself by grappling someone and dragging them anywhere.  I would taser the sh!t out of them until they got up and left.  Cops are law enforcement not nightclub bouncers that drag people around.  What if the police officer was a woman who wasnt strong enough to drag the man out?

Not everything is a cop-pig conspiracy.  Sometimes cops have a very good reason for what they do.

"The person wasn't even charged with anything"

"I'm shocked you would say we shouldnt always respect the police."

You people are awful. I say that only because I didn't get round to saying it first.

Gunwounds, I won't go through every line of your post that I disagree with, as essentially, it all boils down to one thing on which we differ, where you say:

"In life some people will have power over you and some wont.  Dont piss off the ones that do.  Simple as that."

Now, while this sounds great common sense, you seem to be missing my point. My point is that it is bad that the police have the power to arbitrarily beat you up. And unless you can guarantee that every one of them is a saint, then with that sort of license, the police are nothing more than a well funded street gang. My point is that this is a bad thing.

"The person wasn't even charged with anything"

"I'm shocked you would say we shouldnt always respect the police."

You people are awful. I say that only because I didn't get round to saying it first.

Gunwounds, I won't go through every line of your post that I disagree with, as essentially, it all boils down to one thing on which we differ, where you say:

"In life some people will have power over you and some wont.  Dont piss off the ones that do.  Simple as that."

Now, while this sounds great common sense, you seem to be missing my point. My point is that it is bad that the police have the power to arbitrarily beat you up. And unless you can guarantee that every one of them is a saint, then with that sort of license, the police are nothing more than a well funded street gang. My point is that this is a bad thing.

the police wont arbitrarily beat you up if you listen and cooperate.  You make it sound as if police go around kicking the shit out of law abiding citizens who didnt see it coming.  No they kick the shit out of people who push the envelope.

This video clearly states my point.  -->

After watching this video, I doubt that you will be able to disagree with me.

"Stand up, stand up."

Sure, because it's just so easy to stand up when your legs have been turned to jelly by a massive electric shock. And if it isn't, well another electric shock is only going to make things better, right? "Went limp" indeed. Idiots.

Gunwounds, I don't think there's anything you can say against this though.  They shocked him because he wouldn't stand up, yet it is proven that paralysis can last over 10 minutes from one Taser shock.

Gunwounds, I don't think there's anything you can say against this though.  They shocked him because he wouldn't stand up, yet it is proven that paralysis can last over 10 minutes from one Taser shock.

I understand, but he never once said... "hey my legs are paralysed stop shocking me".

Hey just kept screaming F- you. And his shouts were extremely loud meaning that he had full use of his Diaphragm....something else that should have been paralyzed as well.

In addition, his body wasnt "truly" limp.  He was on his knees struggling with the cops and he seemed to "want" to be in that kneeling position (as Alchemi stated) it is a classic protester kneeling position.

All he had to do was say, "please dont shock me, I'm trying to get up my legs are numb from the shock" , Instead of screaming "F-YOU...HERE'S YOUR PATRIOT ACT 1!1!1!"

He obviously wanted to resist... and like Chris Rock said... "if the cops have to come get ya... their bringin an ass-kicking with them"

Those officers should've been mob rushed and beaten to within an inch of their lives for that shit.

Why?

the cops are gettin away with this because the dumb ass broke the law. In order to be in Powell, you have to have a BruinCard, if you cant present it, you are not allowed to be there, if you refuse to leave, authorities CAN use PHYSICAL means to remove you. If he had just walked out, there would have been no problem.

I completely agree. Isn't it kind of funny how he has enough strength to scream about the patriot act, him being a student, him trying to just read, and brodcasting that he has a "medical condition?" I don't know about you, but if I had a medical condition that may be aggrevated by the encounter, I wouldn't do anything to trigger it. So i would walk out of the Library peacefully, and TALK to the police.

"the police wont arbitrarily beat you up if you listen and cooperate."

Most won't, some do. You yourself have admitted it in other threads.

"You make it sound as if police go around kicking the shit out of law abiding citizens who didnt see it coming."

You know, there was this student at UCLA...

"the cops are gettin away with this because the dumb ass broke the law."

Forgetting to bring your ID card to school is not a violation of the law. Going floppy when police push you about is not breaking the law.

Your video, by the way, is comedy. It is not a real public service announcement, and it appears you have taken it rather too seriously.

"the police wont arbitrarily beat you up if you listen and cooperate."

Most won't, some do. You yourself have admitted it in other threads.

"You make it sound as if police go around kicking the shit out of law abiding citizens who didnt see it coming."

You know, there was this student at UCLA...

"the cops are gettin away with this because the dumb ass broke the law."

Forgetting to bring your ID card to school is not a violation of the law. Going floppy when police push you about is not breaking the law.

Your video, by the way, is comedy. It is not a real public service announcement, and it appears you have taken it rather too seriously.

#1 in the past i was referring to crooked cops... not cops that get rough with people who smart off to them.

#2  You know there was this smartass protester wannabe at UCLA....

#3  Actually he did break the law... they charged him wtih impeding a peace officer.

#4 The Chris Rock video is comedy... and comedy is funniest when its true.  Yea i think some people deserve a good taser now and then for being a smart ass to authoritarian figures trying to do their job, earn a wage, and keep poeple safe.

I'm sorry but i am unable to share your sympathy Nema... i dont know why... perhaps because i have a deeper respect for authoritarian figures in the community that are for our benefit.  And i have less respect for "rebels without a cause".

"#1 in the past i was referring to crooked cops... not cops that get rough with people who smart off to them."

Your point being? Not only are they just different degrees of the same thing, but my point was that there *are* crooked policemen out there, who can use precisely the same justifications you are using and, by your standards, be let off. What you seem to be saying is "It's ok that police have power, they don't abuse it. Except for the bad ones."

"Actually he did break the law... they charged him wtih impeding a peace officer."

You don't have to be guilty to be charged. But I've looked it up, and "resisting a police officer" (whatever that means) is a crime in that part of your country, so on that count, he may have technically committed a crime. However, it now depends on whether the police are entitled to lay hands on someone who's complying voluntarily (albeit under protest).

"perhaps because i have a deeper respect for authoritarian figures in the community that are for our benefit."

Just because half the time someone's 'there for our benefit' doesn't mean that we have to respect them when they're threatening us for no good reason.

"Yea i think some people deserve a good taser now and then for being a smart ass to authoritarian figures trying to do their job, earn a wage, and keep poeple safe."

Why? If I were a greengrocer trying to do my job, earn a wage and keep people fed, would I be right to taser you if you walked into the shop and acted like a "smart ass"? What if the police officers didn't have tasers, would truncheons be ok, too? What puts the police above the law?

This kid's going to be coming into a large sum of money.

Depends on what you consider to be large.  I have heard of similar cases getting $50,000.  That should help with his student loans.  Hmm perhaps i should go get tasered if the money is that easy.

UCLA student stunned by Taser plans suit

Even if he planned this whole thing out, still proves the cops fell for it.

Yea he planned it.... pretty smart dude.... take a little pain, play the race-card, and cash in.  Gotta love America.

Why?

the cops are gettin away with this because the dumb ass broke the law. In order to be in Powell, you have to have a BruinCard, if you cant present it, you are not allowed to be there, if you refuse to leave, authorities CAN use PHYSICAL means to remove you. If he had just walked out, there would have been no problem.

Ever heard of excessive force? It's one thing tasing someone who's getting aggressive and physical with the police, but it seems some officers believe it's acceptable to tase anyone who doesn't immediately comply to the most trivial of requests. That's a blatant violation of human rights. This is a problem. It's a problem illustrated by the Chris Rock video, as well. The police have a duty to restrain and arrest you if you're not complying, but they don't have the right to deliving excessive physical harm and pain if you're not fighting back, which that student was not. A simple dragging him out of the library would have done - and don't tell me that two police officers couldn't have handled restraining a single guy, because that's what they're trained to do. But for some reason, some idiot thought tasing as an acceptable everyday substitute to simple restrain.