Your favorite Frank Herbert novels.

TMA_1

Wanted to make a post to see what all of you Dune fanatics think of Franks books outside of the Duniverse. List your top five Frank Herbert books.

I made it a top five list because you can still list books from the Duniverse series if you like. I figure it would be a bit silly not to allow that.

here are mine.

Dune

God Emperor of Dune

Destination:Void

Desodi Experiment

Santaroga Barrier

Outside Duniverse, I've read only The Heaven Makers, Do I Wake Or Dream? and about a half of Santaroga Barrier (all in Russian). I'd like to buy some of Herbert's non-Dune books in English, because his language is really good (and, unfortunately, totally lost in translations :-), but that won't be quite soon I think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My top 5

Dune

Chapterhouse

Heretics

The Dosadi Experiment

Destination Void

I just finished Destenation Void a couple of weeks ago. I had never heard of until I picked up a copy for $1 at the used book store. I was really impressed. Probably the best dollar I've ever spent. The Dosadi Experiment was also a very good book. I've heard that there's another book that ties in with Dosadi called "Whipping Star". Has anyone ever read it?

Currently I'm reading the final book in Gregory Bradford's Galactic Center series called "Sailing Bright Eternity". It has been a very good series. It is very heavy in the Physics and other science's.

Another good series I read this year was the Rama series by Aurthur C. Clarke. Has anyone had the pleasure of reading these books. ALso Arthur C. Clarke's 2001, 2010, 2061, and 3001 were excellent books.

Dune

Chapterhouse: Dune

Soul Catcher

Heretics of Dune

The White Plague

Non Dune stuff....

I enjoyed The Green Brain and Soul Catcher.  I think I like Soul Catcher best non-Dune.

Currently reading The White Plague, which is very good.

I've been scouring second hand book shops and have managed to get hold of The Jesus Incedent and The Dragon in the Sea too, which I was quite chuffed with, but I haven't read these yet.

• 2 months later...

I liked The White plague. Not sure if the quality is the same, it's been a while since I read dune/whiteplague. It's probably been 2-3 years since I read the White Plague, but I still remember the plot and many parts of the book. So I guess if I remember visualizing the story in my head, I must have really liked it.

There's a couple slow parts in the book, but I find that with some of Frank's books.

Still recommend it if it's not too expensive.

Is it a new edition or just an old copy for sale?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I liked The White plague. Not sure if the quality is the same, it's been a while since I read dune/whiteplague. It's probably been 2-3 years since I read the White Plague, but I still remember the plot and many parts of the book. So I guess if I remember visualizing the story in my head, I must have really liked it.

There's a couple slow parts in the book, but I find that with some of Frank's books.

Still recommend it if it's not too expensive.

Is it a new edition or just an old copy for sale?

It was a new book. 'twas a while ago though and I can't remember where I saw it :-