What if Dune Generations went open source ...

Fyril

I've split off Deidril's post into there own thread and stickied it to make thigns easier for people new to the conversation to read his posts (mostly the three aprt overview of his time working on DG and cryo itself).

• 2 weeks later...

Dune Generations looked like a great possible game.

But after watch most of the videos, started to notice how much it had in common in some areas as Mankind (www.mankind.net)

Shame it never got taken up by another developer, or the source code released. Yes I saw the comment about the source code being writen in an "In-House" language, this maybe true but given a small amount of time this could be learnt, even rewriten into a better version. There are a number of developers trying to do this lately, but C++ code is the same no matter what your in-house language maybe.

Hey DRago, check out "Diedril's Thread" at the top of this board.  It's a bunch of messages by the lead designer of DG describing what the game was going to be like, and why it was never finished.

Hey DRago, check out "Diedril's Thread" at the top of this board.  It's a bunch of messages by the lead designer of DG describing what the game was going to be like, and why it was never finished.

Yip read it and seem the videos looked very good.

• 6 months later...

ok from what i remember ill double check tomorrow, the game was only a few months from releasing. at the very least it was right about the end when they went bankrupt. now in that fallout someone has to have gotten the rights to the game, all the copies, etc had to go somewhere. does anyone have any idea who has any of it yet? or any possible leads i can start to work on to track it down. like where the info for that bankruptcy is? any help is greatly appreciated. ty

ok from what i remember ill double check tomorrow, the game was only a few months from releasing. at the very least it was right about the end when they went bankrupt. now in that fallout someone has to have gotten the rights to the game, all the copies, etc had to go somewhere. does anyone have any idea who has any of it yet? or any possible leads i can start to work on to track it down. like where the info for that bankruptcy is? any help is greatly appreciated. ty

Diedril could possible know more than anyone else about it.

Unfortunaly, i have absolutely no clue who owns DG rights today. I think - and i'm not sure - Sylvain Huet could know - since he got the cursed chair of Cryo Networks CEO on the last days. He has his own web site at http://www.sylvain-huet.com/. You will find his email at bottom of this page.

However, as i said, i still think the best option is to start from scratch for a ogame-like or a gui-based game, drop the STR parts and let the companies which do STR games, do STR games.

Unfortunaly, i have absolutely no clue who owns DG rights today. I think - and i'm not sure - Sylvain Huet could know - since he got the cursed chair of Cryo Networks CEO on the last days. He has his own web site at http://www.sylvain-huet.com/. You will find his email at bottom of this page.

However, as i said, i still think the best option is to start from scratch for a ogame-like or a gui-based game, drop the STR parts and let the companies which do STR games, do STR games.

Deidril do you happen to know where I might be able to find the concept art from DG? Yes I'm still working on my pet project. Will post more once I'm happy with my groud-work and show worth showing.

Deidril do you happen to know where I might be able to find the concept art from DG? Yes I'm still working on my pet project. Will post more once I'm happy with my groud-work and show worth showing.

unfortunaly, no. Maybe there is some around internet. Maybe there is some on my personal backups. But I have more chance to win over a Sardaukar squad with a fake light saber than to find it in my attic.

unfortunaly, no. Maybe there is some around internet. Maybe there is some on my personal backups. But I have more chance to win over a Sardaukar squad with a fake light saber than to find it in my attic.

Had a look around, not to much around. I'm looking for GUI and character ideals. What I did found of the ships and odd wallpaper were good from DG, but limited in amounts, most sites have the same images or had missing image links.

If anyone does have anything could you contact me!