D2TM - Help develop! Get the source. (SVN)

stefanhendriks

I commited all the changes, it compiles perfectly on Linux. Hope it does on VS as well :)

Oh, and one more question. I can now start the campaign but all the buildings are disabled.

I don't know why. Perhaps there are still some case issues...

nice work t0th... by the way, is there any needed libs to install before we can compile in linux? somehow i can't compile it (before your changes) coz it was looking for the alfont and almp3 headers... ill try updating my copy to the new changes :) it'd be cool to see it running in my linux partition

by the way, i have allegro 4.2

I have committed quite a bunch of code. Nothing really changes by functionaly, but under the hood things are a bit more clean (the main.cpp file is very short now). I have encapsulated d2tmc.h in d2tmh.h so you only need to put one header file at top. Besides that a lot of other changes. Tonight i have more time, will then clean the code in the TimeManagement class and probably begin to introduce another class DrawManagement.

The structure of classes and their relationship begin taking shape, but its a long way to go (as you can see, 3 empty class files , factories named are yet to be created). Eventually the goal is clean code, which should make it easier to expand the game with nice (more complex) features.

I attach a howto which describes the process of compiling D2TM on linux and also patches and a script

for automated patching, compilation and installation of needed libraries. Hope it will work well on other

distributions :)

I also commited some linux specific files which are the base for Makefile and configure scripts (these

are generated automatically by autoconf and automake)

howto.zip

Stefan: changes you have made to source code made it run very slow now. I mean, the program runs fast (mouse movement is smooth) but all the fade-in's and -out's and unit movement is very slow, it must be something with timers. Can i contact you on some IM? Google Talk perhaps? MSN? ICQ?

Well you can always assign issues.. If you have a google account that is. (just mail me @ google, will set it up in a few mins). And you can always download the source, get it compiling (its all described in a doc how to do that, even for a non-it'r ;)) and test the very latest (really latest) version... :D

• 6 months later...

Is there anyone who is willing to participate in a project concerning d2tm. Can't tell more, but anyone who really can provide code, and some serious work (and i mean, seriously some commits here and there) about that project. Its on free basis ofcourse...

If you are interested, despite the limited info, please email me -> stefanhen83@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

One of my friends who is a serious programmer got involved with Dune Legacy for a while. He left the project after taking a good hard look at the engine and its limitations from an AI perspective. He is very keen on doing AI stuff. At present he is working on an AI system to manage security cameras that can distinguish between humans and animals and follow their movement.

I know he prefers working through sourceforge though.

I'm glad to see your project is still going. You may well end up releasing the best RTS for Linux. There is alot of great FPS games for Linux (most notably Tremulous), but no good RTS games.

• 1 month later...

I've just downloaded and compiled the source, and hit the same problem - missing MSVCR70D.dll and MSVCR70.dll. Both can be googled (I dled them from dll-files).

After getting things running, I ran into the following issues -

On Campaign, after clicking a House banner, the Bene Gesserit mentat intro asking whether you would like to join that house ends in "Would you like to join house" with no Atreides, Harkonnen, Ordos or Yes/No buttons, forcing an ESC-quit.

On Skirmish, after selecting either of the two maps, with two random teams, and entering the map, buildings cannot be placed - the Construction Yard can be upgraded, but all building options build instantly, and show no placement outline to actually put them down.

I was hoping to do a little bug-testing, but between those two, I can't really get anywhere  :-[ Are they code issues, or am I missing files / have I made an error somewhere while compiling?

• 2 weeks later...