Dune 2000 freezes/crashes on startup

Guest Fencer128

Guest Fencer128

Hi,

I've recently bought Dune 2000 and have found that after installation the game crashes on startup. The mouse freezes as soon as the title page is displayed, and when I alt-tab back to Windows I find that the mouse is frozen there too, forcing me to reboot. I'm using Win 98SE, DirectX7.0a and I've upgraded to dune 2000 v1.06. The only other thing is the age of my graphics card, a matrox millenium. The failure.txt which has been generated in my Dune2000 directory says that my graphics card is incapable of displaying 256 colours and that I don't have enough virtual memory to run Dune (12MB). I know both these facts to be false as I can run many newer and more demading games easily.

Last thing, my system is a Pentium 200(non-MMX), 64MB ram, 500MB+ HD free, matrox millenium 2MB graphics card

Hope that someone can help!

Thanks ;)

Andy

Guest Fencer128

Thanks for replying,

I have the latest video card drivers installed, however, I run Tiberian Sun, Age of empires 2 etc. with no problems so I can't understand why dune 2000 would not run because of my spec?

Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my children play Dune 200 on the old 'puter here, and it's a P200... It's slower, but the game still plays fine - It does sound as though it's a video issue though... What screen resolution do you have your 'puter set at, Andy..?

I do know that since I use 800X600, I occasionally get a "freeze" into 640X480 mode (Dune 2000 uses 640X480), but I can always ALT+TAB to get out...

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I've recently bought Dune 2000 and have found that after installation the game crashes on startup. The mouse freezes as soon as the title page is displayed, and when I alt-tab back to Windows I find that the mouse is frozen there too, forcing me to reboot. I'm using Win 98SE, DirectX7.0a and I've upgraded to dune 2000 v1.06. The only other thing is the age of my graphics card, a matrox millenium. The failure.txt which has been generated in my Dune2000 directory says that my graphics card is incapable of displaying 256 colours and that I don't have enough virtual memory to run Dune (12MB). I know both these facts to be false as I can run many newer and more demading games easily.

Last thing, my system is a Pentium 200(non-MMX), 64MB ram, 500MB+ HD free, matrox millenium 2MB graphics card

Hope that someone can help!

Thanks ;)

Andy

I think I have an answer for you as I have for the last 3-4 months had exactly the same problem with Dune 2000. It is a fairly good guess that you have a non-standrad mouse such as one with three buttons or more than one scroll wheel. I have a Trust Ami Mouse Scroll Pro and the drivers for same were creating an issue.

I would suggest the following action:

1) Go to control panel-system-hardware profiles and create a new hardware profile for the moment we will call 'experiement'.At this point I would suggest that you read the windows help file for doing this. Reboot your computer. You will get during reboot time text giving you options as regards what hardware profile to start up in. Choose 'experiment'. Go to Controlpanel-systems again but this time go to Device manager and double click on your mouse symbol.This will bring up a seperate window that wiil have two tick boxes:tick'Disable in this hardware profile and click 'ok'

2)This now will have disabled the mouse driver so that its special functions will not work but with the mouse still working in two button fashion etc - you should now be able to play Dune 2000 without problems.

3) Whenever you boot up you now have two options. To play Dune 2000 and similar old games ( In my instance KKND Krossfire) or to have those special functions on your mouse that we hardly use anyway.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

I had a problem very much like yours.

I cured it by doing what was suggested in the readme file.

Made a shortcut with the addition of a "-f" on the command line in

the short cut file.

• 2 weeks later...