Copy from topic on Arrakis Developer Board

stefanhendriks

Just a straight copy which i could have posted here earlier, so i just thought of copying it here.

Hey all,

I've been on a short holiday, needed a break anyway after this weird half-year i've had. Progress somehow stopped on the project, but i plan on picking it up again once i am really home (i am not there yet, posting this from another location).

The macbook i have is capable of running Windows (on a second partition) so it can help me developing the game on it, but also the desktop pc (which i mainly used for developing) is still of some use to me. I might want to make the game run on Macs but that is NOT a primary goal for now.

Just want to let you know i am going back to work when possible. As you might know i've a new job now and its envolved with computers all day, and programming, so you can imagine i lack some motivation when i get back from work to code on D2TM. Wink

I can already comment that i will probably in the future (around 2007) start a new study next to my work which is all about IT and programming (which i did not do before, if you want to know i did the course "Primary school teacher" and got till 3rd class (of 4...)). It will take more time away , but then again i also seem to get a little order in life in general here and will be able to spend more on D2TM when my girlfriend will be studying again aswell (which should be around september).

Of course Stefan, that sounds great.

And you know you have like a dozen men behind you here.

Even if you start again in 2010 or later you will be able to gather enough people to help you with the project.

But don't wait too long, or else anyone who has ever played Dune 2 will be dead, or worse, have a girlfriend themselves. ::) (After they get married they want to escape their wives of course and have plenty of time again)

I know what it's like to have a computer with multiple OSes and you have one OS for convenience and one OS for hobby-work. You will auto-boot the convenience OS and never get back to the hobby. I have the same thing.

I believe that any given computer should only be used for one task (and also perhaps in a single room). And I'm starting to equip myself like that. I just don't have enough space :P

My problem is I want a convenience computer (Linux), a gaming computer (Windows) and a programming computer (Linux). Right now I have the gaming and programming on the same computer and guess what: it autoboots windows and I never get to programming. Another problem there is that the TV is in the same room. So I mostly watch that and play Solitaire when I feel like it and sometimes something more complex like C&C Generals.

I could use my laptop for programming in my bedroom where the convenience computer is, but the laptop is ungainly and uncomfertable. I do have another computer but what I really need is another ROOM. But I only have 2.

I do manage to do some hobby-work/programming at my parents'. Of which the Linux partition on their computer I have set up to be great for programming, but it really is that it's somewhere where my other computers aren't at... I think.