warranty jobs?

eid

yea i got a question about how oems and retail computer stores handle warranty claims..

the problem is an ati x800 card(xpertvision)  has died (one of the legs has been scratched badly)

the problem i was wondering about is the value of the card when it was bought has gone down by at least $100 ...to add to that the x800 series isnt being made anymore ,with the exception of the  gto and le cards still floating around..

how would they replace a card that has been discontinued,  or  would it be a case of a full refund if its not able to be replaced by the SAME model  (even though the recent price of the  card has dropped)?  or would they  just replace it with a similar if higher model ? eg x800pro/850.....ORRR.... would they say well cant replace it  theres no more of them, and ur cards  worth shit now  so heres wetf we think its value is ,to be refunded? 

If something is replaced on warranty, they will usually replace with same or closest available match. So you might benefit if your item is older and isnt made anymore. I had something like that happen to me.

Hardest part is getting it sorted under the warranty !

• 2 weeks later...

If the warranty is still in affect then they can't *not* replace it.

But as stated, they'll do the closest possible. Remember, just because it isn't made any longer doesn't mean they don't have a few in storage somewhere. If not, it'll be the nearest match of the same company (as in since it's an ATi it wouldn't be a NVIDIA replacement).

• 1 month later...

nice.. only took 3 and a half months past the quoted eta....very nice....even then they forgot to contact me when it arrived  (only 15 days late b4 i called them) guess i wont be going back there agen eh..  figures they wouldnt do me a refund tho,  the excuse?  'its a card that isnt to be sold anymore, even though its new(the card), our rma department doesnt do restocking/ exchanges on non doa7day products or discontinued products' 

good thing its found a use in some1 elses machine tho  or id bash them with it and try draw blood with the solder points..  bah got an sapphire x800pro instead, oc's nicely too  :P got it running at 520/560 xtpe speeds still under 45degc not bad eh? not bad!

• 3 weeks later...

ill add to this,  i bought a creative x-fi sound card from a umart store a while back,

it started making crackling static hissing noisec etc  and died,  got it rma'ed thru the normal procedure.... the 2nd card did the same thing within days....i send a nice girl in with a niice set 'o to lean over the counter and ask for a replacement nicely right  :P      got a new card over the counter  LOL!!  luv it! cheers