Ubuntu 6.06

Andrew

Newest Ubuntu is going to be released in 9 days or so (first of June).

I'm running the last stable release (last october) as I write this off the live cd.

I've tried the betas for the new release but my mouse doesn't work (it works fine with the previous ubuntu version). Hard to try to figure out how to get it to work when I got no mouse to get around in ubuntu. HP Mouse does not work on Live CD - I've gotten no help from ubuntu forums.

At least I know I can get my wireless internet to work (even though it sucks) :)

Anyone else looking forward to the latest release? It has a 5 year support cycle with it, which is very good.

If I do get ubuntu (it will be dual booting with winxp for proprietary software), I will definitely get Automatix, so I can easily install software to make the most of Ubuntu.

Seems to be a lot of hype around it, probably too much, but hey, they will be releasing another version before Microsoft releases Vista :P

Hard to try to figure out how to get it to work when I got no mouse to get around in ubuntu.

In a few more months Linux will be the same cr*p as Windows is according to most Linux fans at the moment. You know *NIX is more then a graphical shell with a mouse. Remember the good old days when Linux was cool beacuse it had a command line in which you could do everything yourself  like installing a mouse, and not that crappy Windows Explorer which dominated your whole interface.. ...

same goes for Linux. As happy as we are with it now. because it's safe secure and has a graphical interface that isn't tied to the OS. . customers will want the openness of Windows. Which will eventually make Linux just a vulnerable as Windows. Not because the OS is. But because consumers need that kind of flexebilety and demand it from the OS.

Just my point. Linux used to be an open OS. You can and could do anything yourself with it that you want. Now what's good in that part if people fail to use it because a mouse doesn't work in the graphical part and don't take action themselfs. Linux, the power to choose. Even if that means if you choose to do nothing. Although that point of view is often not respected or accepted by the Linux community.

Mind that the reason why Windows, DirectX and the whole procedure call in the Windows OS is so open is not because MS could not secure it. It's because when it was designed people cared more about compatibility and the ease to ad their own stuff into the OS then a secure OS.

However good Linux might be and unsecure Windows is. Customers demand a simple to use and understandable system. Not a secure one or one that needs you to configure half your system yourself. If Linux wants the desktop. They will eventually make the same mistake.

personally I didn't try the latest Ubuntu release. I usually stick with RedHat, Novell Linux Desktop or SuSe. Don't really have time to follow all the distro's.

Cyborg, just curious. Do you by any change visit this forum via one of those crappy Explorer interfaces ? You know you are free to change ..... ;)

Ubuntu 6.06 hasnt been released yet, just betas and stuff. Final released 1st of June.

In the ubuntu betas, the mouse didn't work so I did my best to use keyboard to get around and try to make mouse work, but I couldn't figure it out. I just hope I can get it to work in the fianl version. I need to format my computer, so it would be a good time to partition it (although I don't remember windows asking me if I want to partition it when installing/formatting, as they say to install windows first so it will recognize windows when installing linux)

dont' worry. RedHat does the same. Even more you have a 90% change that ones you have had RedHat enterprise on your HD you won't be able to install Windows on it untill you remove the partition and clear the disk's MBR.

Ubuntu 6.06 has been released.

Making this post so i can add an image of one of my partitions(?) that might contain my windows xp recovery stuff for when I boot back into winxp.

screenshot9pf.th.png

My computer didn't come with winxp cd, came on the hard drive so no cd is needed to format/install winxp. I assume that is it? Partition 2 has like 76 gb with so much free (which sounds like my normal partition with files and stuff.)

I assume it is easy to format HD and install windows (and make a partition for ubuntu so I hear), then install linux to dual bootm, while not deleting the 4 gb of winxp recovery data?

I ran the live cd, it didn't boot properly (got onto desktop with the mouse only and stopped loading, mouse worked). So i tried safe graphics mode boot, that worked, then tried to normally boot and it worked fine the second time. Glad to see my mouse problem has been fixed.

Ubuntu is actually great so far, way better than the fedora core. There is an option if you want to keep your previous boot record or not so you have to be careful when installing either windows or any type of linux.

You can see the partion using third party tools like partition manager and copy it to the dvd using ghost or something...

In fact, browsing that partition is something I want to work out, as I want to create my own one as well.

But I am shure you can copy and burn it.