Summer Movie Thread

Mahdi

With Mission: Impossible 3 this week, the summer movie season officially kicks off, so here's a thread for you to post reviews of the movies you've seen, the movies you plan to see, and discuss upcoming flicks.  Each week I'll update this post with the name of the big new movie coming out.

Opening this week: 

X-men 3

This is just a conspiracy to keep me burning with jealousy, isn't it Mahdi??  >:( Damn city I'm in rarely bothers to show Hollywood flicks in English, and since I don't know the local tongue, I have to wait the 12 months before HBO decides to broadcast.

grr

Its a conspiracy, I tell ya!!!  :D

This is just a conspiracy to keep me burning with jealousy, isn't it Mahdi??  >:( Damn city I'm in rarely bothers to show Hollywood flicks in English, and since I don't know the local tongue, I have to wait the 12 months before HBO decides to broadcast.

grr

Its a conspiracy, I tell ya!!!   :D

Well, I've seen 30 movies in theaters this year so far, and I've got to tell you, so far you ain't missing much.  M:I:III gets a "Meh" from me.  Better (MUCH BETTER) than the last one, but that ain't saying much.  As a mindless action flick it's decent, but there are better action thrillers out there right now, such as Lucky Number Slevin.  The best part of M:I:III is the comdey.  Worst part are the constant allusions to past Tom Cruise/action films.

Lucky number Sleven: outstanding, I loved this movie. It's by far the best I've seen this year, and the writing/dialogue is especially good.

Agreed, except for the best by far this year bit.

I saw 16 blocks and lucky number s7even and they were both great. Mos Def is just amazing, he surprises me in every movie. His rap ain't that bad either. Sleven was really well done, although for some reason I grew to hate the transition between gang buildings (I saw it twice). Anyway, well done and the dialogue was definitely good on sleven.

Might see MI:3

Will see X-Men 3, probably see Davinci Code even though I havn't read the book.

Did anyone see City of God before?

I knew nothing about it other than some online people recomending it. Definitely the best movie I've seen in a long time. And it was subtitled as well. Deserves #16 on top 250 movies of all time.

@ andrew: city of god is awesome... I have it on dvd and finally they managed to keep the original language - much better to watch it in portuguese with english subtitles than the english or german version.

movies I saw right the last few days:

16 Blocks (mentioned before):

I think the movie was cool. It had nothing special and I wouldn't say it was an awesome movie. but bruce willis and mos def made it an entertaining evening, though I had some difficulties understanding mos def in every scene...

Inside Man:

great movie. go and see for yourself. I really like denzel washington (esp. the siege / man on fire) and the movie was just... amazing

Firewall:

hmm... don't know. I can't say the movie was bad, but it wasn't very good either. I don't know why. Harrison Ford seemed a bit tired and the bad guys weren't really bad except for the leader who played his role quite good but became annoying after a while...

Firewall was "been there, done that."  Same movie Ford's been making for the last ten years.

Last night I saw my 31st and 32nd movies of 2006, The Wild and RV.  Avoid both.

Okay, it ain't a new one, but I saw Troy last night on HBO. THANKS FOR RUINING IT, PITT!!!

Anyone read Illiad? I read it when I was 12, and from the bits and pieces I almost understood in The Rage of Achillees, there was a lot of his conversation with the Gods, and him getting the new armor, and the running-around-the-city-walls, and there was this bit where Hector chucks his spear at Achillees, it misses, then Achillees throws his at Hector, that misses too, and right when they were going back to swords, Athena whips behind Achillees and throws Hector his spear back, and Achillees curses her, but manages to kill Hector, and then, well, anyway, there were a whole lot of things missing. They could have atleast got the conversation with the gods bit. Even then, the movie ran to about 3 hours  :O

I think they were trying to make it more historical than fantastical. :/

"Did anyone see City of God before?"

Ah love city of god. Definitely in my top 10 films of all time. Have you seen the spin off City of Men its supposed to b very good too bad they never show stuff like that on british tv though I may be buying the dvd sometime soon though.

mission impossible 3:

I really expected more of this. but to me it seemed like a mission impossible 2 rip-off with (some) new actors and different locations. but the whole story was very boring and also the action wasn't as good as I expected. and that bridge-fight... I remember having seen something like this before. was it true lies?

final destination 3:

nothing new like expected... not really worth going to the cinema. but you don't look final destination 3 (and also 2) for the story (which was only interesting in the first part) but for some nice new death scenes. they are quite funny but to be honest, the best thing about the movie was to see chelan simmons nude at the tanning booth  ;D

hostel:

mja... the storyline is mentioned everywhere and that's also basically everything that's happening in that movie. the torture scenes are ugly though you don't see very much in most scenes (which makes the movie unsuitable for sensitive viewers and boring for blood-thirsty viewers). best things about the movie: rick hoffmann, the dialogue with the japanese businessman and the scene where the girl jumps in front of the train.

hostel:

mja... the storyline is mentioned everywhere and that's also basically everything that's happening in that movie. the torture scenes are ugly though you don't see very much in most scenes (which makes the movie unsuitable for sensitive viewers and boring for blood-thirsty viewers). best things about the movie: rick hoffmann, the dialogue with the japanese businessman and the scene where the girl jumps in front of the train.

The best part of Hostel was the cameo appearance of Takashi Miike!

hostel4.jpg

liked MI:III. Not that great just a nice watch.

I have reservations for The DaVinci Code tomorrow. Although to be hounest I want to see Miami Vice.

Any one already seen Daywatch. ? (part two of the Russian film from one of  Sergei Lukyanenko books, Night Watch (Nochnoi Dozor) was released last year and is part one)

• 2 weeks later...

Poseiden was entertaining, more so than The DaVinci Code, which was ok, but overused the beautiful mind glowing crap thing and way to old (and boring) conspiracy theories.  The main character was useless.

Didn't see any movies yet.

Definitely gonna have to see X3.

But not the weekend it is released as I hate full theatres with crazy kids.

If I go on a weekday it's cheaper, and high schoolers have school the next day. suckers.

WE're having a private screening of X3 tommorow night after work.  Then I'm seeing it again later in the week (as well as DaVinci again and over the hedge) with my girlfriend.