International Thread (Idea only)

Dunenewt

As we all come from different countries from around the world, and talk many languages, would it be possible to have one thread where people could talk their own languages?  I mean, English is my first language, but it would be nice to talk some German/French/Italian to the others?  It's just a thought, and before you say anything, no-one is allowed to post the "speak english" picture in this thread

I think one thread won't kill us. might be a lot of fun. but I suggest we also always tell everybody what language we used and what we were saying (english translation). by this it can be very interesting and we can make sure this won't become a stupid topic.

Well I don't have a problem if you talk about language and post it in both English and whatever other language. I just don't want to see entire threads that are  not in English, it makes moderation a lot harder if we can't understand. :)

Gurney Halleck will not be impressed Battle Language is forbidden.

The Emperor demands that Galach be allowed!

Yah, english translation would be nice for non language people. Maybe we could even learn other languages/words/phrases? Oui?

a funny and very interesting thing (in my opinion) could also be to get to know what different sayings/phrases there are all across the globe and how they are translated 1 to 1 and how the correct english saying would be. what I mean is this:

german: wer zuerst kommt, mahlt zuerst.

1:1 trans: whoever comes first grinds first

correct saying: the early bird catches the worm

german: man soll den tag nicht vor dem abend loben

1:1 trans: you shouldn't praise the day before it's evening

correct saying: ???

Ok Acriku, no idea what you're saying :P

Anyway, this needs Gob's clearance first.

I said, for moderation purposes: Hello newt! Do you want to drink some coffee?

It's very basic chinese, as I'm only on chapter 3 in the book.

german: man soll den tag nicht vor dem abend loben

1:1 trans: you shouldn't praise the day before it's evening

correct saying: ???

I would have thought that the closest to that in an english saying was maybe 'Don't count your chickens before they're hatched'. There could be a closer one cant really think at the moment.

wo xi huan he ka fei. ni ke yi an jing ma?

Name, bu qing zuo  :P (trans: in that case, don't sit down.)

I assume you said you like to drink coffee, and then asked for me to be quiet? I'm still new to chinese, so I could be wrong.

Newt, ni hao! He kafei xing bu xing?

Kafei?! Solo i Americani bebi cafe! ;D

Wo xihuan Zhongguo cha. Nimen hui du Hanzi ma? Xianzai wo de Hanzi shi bu tai hao keshe wo xihuan lianxi.

[Translation for moderation purpose:

People love coffey for alternate state purposes. They like it with intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content, and strong language.]

I assume you said you like to drink coffee, and then asked for me to be quiet? I'm still new to chinese, so I could be wrong.

Ni shuo de dui le!

Qi shi, wo bu zhi dao ru he zai Fed2k shang do hanzi...

(Translation: You've said it right! Actually, I do not know how to read chinese characters on Fed2k...)

English is actually not very good choice for an international language. It's filled with hordes of idioms and other sayings people must learn and the grammatical rules have weird exceptions. Also, there are many different words that basically mean the same thing, only that there are different shades of meanings.

... not to mention that a single word can mean over five different things.

In fact, NO natural language is good choice for an international language.