Elderscrolls: OBLIVION ... my new addiction

GUNWOUNDS

Noo !!

...Yeah.

On the bright side, doing quests for the Daedra princes is quite fun. If only I knew where they all were...

You can ask the locations of various shrines from some people. Ask about "Daedra cults" if that is available, they'll reveal the locations of some shrines to you. Try Mages and Alchemists, one I know of is Falanu Hlaalu in Skingrad (All Things Alchemical)

I also ran into the first actual gameplay bug (and not those fake bugs people on the official forums whine about)

A few quests reward you with a skill increase bonus (Like the Hackdirt quest you get from the trader in Chorrol) However, the script call used to give you this reward seems to be flawed. As it does give you the bonus in skill points (meaning that your skill will level x points upwards) but doesn't increase the skill usage to the appropiate amount. So the skill seems to be frozen.

It works like this:

Every new skill level your skill usage starts at 0.00, and must be increased to a certain amount. (and certain actions you do will increase the usage by an x amount, thus progressing in the skill) When you have reached that amount the skill goes up, and the usage goes back to around 0.00. However when "modpcs <skill> <x>" is called, it only raises the level and not the usage, so you'll get a negative skill usage. You have to get that back to positive before your skill seems to be levelling again.

You can read it in full detail here:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=293533

Read the entire topic for better explanations and partial workarounds and solutions.

mmm...

I don't really like the game.

but after all... who am I to judge the game ? :)

Well it helps if you like the genre and if you are an elderscrolls fan.  If you played Daggerfall back in 1996 and loved it.. and if you played morrowwind and loved it... then oblivion would be something that you would like.  Also if you dont have the proper computer system to run all the eye-candy then its also understandable that you wouldnt get the entire "wow" factor.

Noo !!

You can ask the locations of various shrines from some people. Ask about "Daedra cults" if that is available, they'll reveal the locations of some shrines to you. Try Mages and Alchemists, one I know of is Falanu Hlaalu in Skingrad (All Things Alchemical)

I also ran into the first actual gameplay bug (and not those fake bugs people on the official forums whine about)

A few quests reward you with a skill increase bonus (Like the Hackdirt quest you get from the trader in Chorrol) However, the script call used to give you this reward seems to be flawed. As it does give you the bonus in skill points (meaning that your skill will level x points upwards) but doesn't increase the skill usage to the appropiate amount. So the skill seems to be frozen.

It works like this:

Every new skill level your skill usage starts at 0.00, and must be increased to a certain amount. (and certain actions you do will increase the usage by an x amount, thus progressing in the skill) When you have reached that amount the skill goes up, and the usage goes back to around 0.00. However when "modpcs <skill> <x>" is called, it only raises the level and not the usage, so you'll get a negative skill usage. You have to get that back to positive before your skill seems to be levelling again.

You can read it in full detail here:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=293533

Read the entire topic for better explanations and partial workarounds and solutions.

YOu could consider it a bug ,.... but in a way it seems like it could be rationalized too.  You get a +5 bonus to skill... and get the benefit of having it at +5 but you still have to earn it by leveling up 5 times (so its not really frozen).  Makes perfect sense to me.  It means you get to skip having it at +1, +2, +3, +4 and get to have it at +5 for all 5 levels.  Still a good deal even if it is a bug.  People on elderscrolls forum got to stop whining so much.

Guns

Despite all the fine arguments some people give that it isn't a bug, there is one solid argument that supports the fact that it is indeed a bug:

You are not notified that your skill has only been fortified. You get the same message as you get when your skill has increased the normal way (usage or training) and not a different notification. It just is too unlikely that is was designed this way, or else you would have been given at least some explanation.

I know the official forums contain the biggest collection of whiners ever, but I linked to this topic because I thought some the posts were very good and documented the bug and partial solutions very well.

I only discovered this one after I went searching on my own on why my Mercantile skill didn't seem to improve, not by browsing the forum. Like you can find anything on your own there... ~15 posts per minute... :-

Here is a link to the NOCD patch.. works great, improves performance, and saves the life of your disks.

Use the one named "The Elder Scrolls 4 v1.0 (v1.0.228) [ENGLISH] No-DVD/Fixed EXE "

http://m0001.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_the_elder_scrolls_4.shtml#The%20Elder%20Scrolls%204%20v1.0%20(v1.0.228)%20[ENGLISH]%20No-DVD/Fixed%20EXE

Guns

Hey i finally found Mai'q  The Liar as well.  I found him when i fast travelled to the Anvil stables.  Man can he run!  I found a pretty good way to catch up with him tho.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7692/oblivion788sh.jpg

Guns

I call kill console code. How long did it take you to kill him? I mean, he starts running, you catch up with him, get off the horse, shoot an arrow at him, get back on the horse, and repeat it. That must have taken a hell of a long time.:P

I have now read four pages of praise about this game. I'm still not sure though, but I would like to be certain that Oblivion is better than Moronwind. Some major things I disliked in Morrorwind were e.g;

* Dead gameworld. People just stand or walk in circles.

* Very dice-like combat system. New characters can't hit anything with a bow.

* Choosing the wrong skills in the beginning can payback very late in the game. I really hated how my axe-wielding character couldn't find any suitable guild... or better weapon, for that matter.

There. The first three that come into my mind. If I played the game again, I believe I could come back here cursing it to the lower depths of the abyss.

1. The game world is alive this time. All the characters have tasks to do on a day, like guards patrolling, people hunting and couriers delivering news. You won't notice this much when you start playing, but once you get to know the NPC's a bit and start following them you'll see what amazing stuff they do on a day.

NPC's also speak to each other, there are alot of possible dialogues but still you hear the same things too much.

2. The dice are almost completely gone, not only in combat, but in many aspects of the game (like lockpicking, or speechcraft)

When in combat, if you hit something (the arrow hits a target, or your sword touches the character) then it is a hit, and you do a set amount of damage (depending on your skill, weapon and current fatigue. Not on a dice roll)

3. There are still guilds specialized in certain aspects of the game (Warriors, Mages, Thieves and Assassins) but there are no more skill requirements for advancing in rank, if that is what you meant.

About choosing the wrong skills, there are still a few skills more important than certain other (like Blade skill is more important than Mercantile) but you can practice with most skills a bit in the tutorial dungeon (first hour of the game) before you have to pick your major skills.

• 1 month later...

Okay so I just got my first horse, nothing special just a cheap painted horse that gets me around. Weapon wise I have a enchanted war hammer and a enchanged hammer thingy I found while clearing out a mine from pesky trolls.

I have arena armor and well nothing special, I'm currently just riding around on my horse looking around, level 6 Imperial battlemage.

I have the 360 version, so alas I can not take any screen shots, but let me tell you that it is a drop dead sexy game. Any tips? Currently I have had trouble finding anything bad ass besides those pretty decent enchanted war hammer things.

[hide]

I was stuck for like two days in the painted forest against those damn painted trolls, I was a level 2 or 3 at the time, had to get one to fallow me, run back to the painter at the beggining then stab the troll in the back over and over again. Yea times that by 5. all I got out of was some crappy enchanted light armor. Pff

[/hide]

Who's still playing this? or all you all do into Battlefield right now?

Haha, the trolls. [hide]I used 100 arrows and a shit load of flares (which gave me exp in those areas, too)[/hide]

The scenery is just amazing.

[hide]So far, I've visited two fantasy lands - a guy's dream, and the painting. Any others out there? They were fun to look at and do![/hide]

exatreides there is a dungeon southeast of the main imperial city.  Begins with a V or something.  Check your map.  Cross the river from where you came out of the sewer in the begining. and look around there... you should see two enemies.  One will be an archer and the other is a melee.  Kill them and loot them then enter the dungeon and complete it.  You will find some vampires in there and if you can kill them you will get some uber stuff.

Good luck.

Haha, the trolls. [hide]I used 100 arrows and a shit load of flares (which gave me exp in those areas, too)[/hide]

The scenery is just amazing.

[hide]So far, I've visited two fantasy lands - a guy's dream, and the painting. Any others out there? They were fun to look at and do![/hide]

[hide]

What was this dream world? and what happend in it?

[/hide]

Gunwounds I Think I cleared that place, will check tommorow. Maybe the 360 version is slightly different?

no its the same... the deal is that you were level 6 when you completed... and i was level 20 when i completed it.  Enemies and loot are scaled.

To get better armor and weapons loot drops.. you have to LEVEL up.  heheh.

I am level 40 now and every enemy i fight is dressed in Daedric or Glass and drop uber weapons.  When you are level 2 enemies will always drop crap.  ;D

Well it looks like John Wayne is dooing a litte better (name of my char)

While battling a evil dark mage person thingy for a guild quest, a legionare stormed to help us, and was cut down in like 4 seconds(it was really kinda funny) well I ran over and stole his Steal shoes,pants, armor, as well as his sword. So that really helped going from Arena armor and a silver dagger to that.

Got kicked out of the fighters guild because I accidently hit the x button while sneaking and they thought I was pick pocketing, pff. Level 7 baby, woot.

Have a bit of a problem.

[hide]

in one of the guild quests you have to convince this guy to give you a staff back, well I sorta missed when I was going to hit him with the charm spell that I was given, and now I have no idea how to actully get the staff.

[/hide]

talk to him and/or buy a new charm spell and/or  ontain entrance into the arcane university and make your own charm spell.

Steel armor and sword etc are a good move up.... and level 7 is not bad either.  Sounds like you are becoming powerful young padawan.

List your major skillset.

Well my horse died in a very tragic attack by a troll, troll was fucking me up in a castle and so I took off, damn troll chased me all the way through the castle, out onto my horse and down the road to the Imperial city some Legionaries rushed to help, but my horse got hit just when I got off, and died tragicly.

[red] REST IN PEACE CLINT EASTWOOD

silver8lu.jpg

Well here are the char States for

John Wayne

Imperial

SpellSword level 8 (Moved up one!)

Strength 53

Int 42

Will 49

Ag 30

Speed 45

Endurance 62 (I run alot now that my horse is dead)

Personality 54

Luck 50

Blade 45

Block 39

Heavy Arm 53

Alt 57

Destruction 33

Illusion 30

Restoration 46.

I still play the game if my pc allows it, that means if doesn't shut down without known reason after playing for more than a few minutes. Fortunately I still have a laptop that supports the game decently.

I made a small plugin which modifies the leveled item lists. So that simple bandits don't wear the best armour all the time (it became quite unrealistic that way) Just slide up the difficulty somewhat to balance that.

The plugin also modifies the container contents in dungeons. The chances of good loot in "boss" (end of dungeon) containers are increased, while the chances of that in other containers have been decreased (rewarding you more for actually completing an entire dungeon)

Not that I really need that now, as I already have the best of everything. But I tried it with a new character and it seems like more fun this way.

Btw, has anyone here heard of chain casting? It seems to me like a nice idea, but I haven't tried it out yet.