The Dune Wiki

Gobalopper

Given the vast amount of information that relates to the Duniverse, we have realised that it is next to impossible to keep a website like FED2k current and complete. So, we have begun the Dune Wiki project as an attempt to gather all that information in one online encyclopaedia. Like all Wikis, it can be edited and improved by everyone. After some initial arrangements and setting up of templates, the Dune Wiki is now open to the public. So seek out wiki.dune2k.com and let us know what you think!

I would like to thank Nema Fakei, Timenn and Edric O for helping with the setup of the wiki. They will be the admins to start out so listen to what they say.

I assume that on each page the main info section is basically info from the original novels, then the subsequent sections on each other Dune media lists the inherent information from said media?

I think that's probably a decent way of doing it, although it may end up taking too much policing by contributers to get completely correct. I'm actually a fan of separating out the "real" information (Herbert's) from the "fan" information (everyone else) but I know that's probably unreasonable and most won't agree with me.

The possibility came to me that a good way to lay out everything, would be to have the "core" information (anything that isn't obviously way off base, like the games or some of the movie information) all be included in the general information at the intro of the page, then have a subsection for each book or information grouping to further divide the group. That way the information is specifically split up, and it'll be pretty obvious where things go. Those looking for information will find a general outline with information that easily fits togeather from a wide selection of the information bases, and then where each specific set of info comes from further down.

For some reason, this seems to me like it would decrease the necessity for "policing" the articles. Course.. I also recognize that the structure already being set up, would require some bit of overhaul to try and match any new format some whack job like myself comes up with even at an early stage like this one.

He he, talk about quick corrections. I saw that article 8 minutes after its creation, and I wanted to correct it, only to see somebody beat me to it :)

But only later I noticed your comment on this forum, lol...

Haha it actually points to what I did now, I didn't realise it was Acriku who posted it.  What he put was

"Made some books. Cashed in a bit. Not related to Frank Herbert and more astonishingly has not actually read Dune."

Haha, if I knew who you really were...

Well I can't actually do much, as I'm a mere contributor on the Wiki, even if 3ngel has sent me PMs asking me to do something, although he's already worked it out himself.

Well we need more people contributing; are there any other big Dune forums out there? Dreamersofdune seems to be down, what about thesietch?  Maybe we could advertise on other forums?  Also, what about adding to the Wikipedia Dune sections, the fact that we have a DuneWiki?

Also, what about adding to the Wikipedia Dune sections, the fact that we have a DuneWiki?

I wouldn't do that until there is more done to the current wiki. Wouldn't want people to check it out to only see a 1/2 done wiki and then dismiss it.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

The Dune II article contains incorrect information about the effect of killing a worm:

Although difficult to kill, if successful the worm will explode into a cloud of valuable spice.

I've been able to kill a worm by simply editing its stats with Nyerguds' Dune II Editor (for the record, a worm has 1000 HP, I reduced it to 10), and nothing like that happens: the worm simply disappears, same way as when its health is reduced to less than 50%.

Perhaps I'll give a shot at writing a more consistent Dune II article sometime ::) Now I'm too lazy to even look up my password and erase the incorrect statement.