Hey gang... computer issue.

sweet guys, i've got the computer up and running.  friend and I just rebuilt the entire thing step by step (yet again) with the motherboard that didnt have any damage to it.

I have no idea what would have been wrong before, as everything is hooked up as I had it... o well, computers are so strange. 

best I can figure is maybe how we seated the motherboard this time may have helped.  strange stuff.

so anyway, thanks everyone for all your help :)

and i'm contacting newegg to see about getting an RMA.

oh, and one more question.  I ordered two 1 GB sticks of pc 3200 patriot memory.  but they dont both detect when they are in? it only detects one.  we've tried every combo of slots but it only ever detects one.  so I took the two sticks of 512 from my other computer and put them in along with one of the sticks of 1 GB and put the other 1 GB in my other computer and everything works?  any ideas why the two patriot sticks might not be working together?? because obviously none of the sticks are bad as both computers are up and running.

thanks,

Mark

scar, it's a socket 939 board cause it's got a x2 on it, so it can support 4 x 1024mb.

but strange why it doesn't work correct.

slap: seating of the mainboard should have absolutely no effect on how it works. you can put them whereever you want, even in a shoebox, as long as everything is connected properly it should work. most test setups for extreme overclocking are just systems lying open on a table.

seating of the mainboard should have absolutely no effect on how it works. you can put them whereever you want, even in a shoebox, as long as everything is connected properly it should work. most test setups for extreme overclocking are just systems lying open on a table.

Oh yea I totally agree, it's just that I mean as for mainboards in general, and seating them in a nice new metal case....well shit happens, or I should say shorts happen.  :D That also goes for the correct wiring, one incorrect placement makes a nice little pop sound too. Nothing worse than booting up a new system to hear pop and smell the dreaded burnt wire smell. But,thank god that hasen't happened since the good ole Duron days of testing without a correct mboard manual.  ;)

amd is very easy to deal with nowadays compared to the old sockets... but back then amd was nothing more than an alternative processor for the real hardware geek. just like watercooling when people started to "abuse" waterpumps from their aquariums and radiators out of cars e.g.

nowadays amd is very wide spread and vry popular and has become a very serious competitor to intel. they also can wait with the launch of their new socket until they think it's time to launch it (they wait till faster ddr2-800 is available, the socket itself is ready for mass production and can also be seen @ cebit next week).