Hey gang... computer issue.

hey guys.

been forever and a day since i've been here. but Ive got a computer issue with the new comp i'm building.

ok.

system specs: 

-mobo: EVGA NForce4 133-K8-NF41-XX sli yada yada...

-AMD athlon 4800+ dual core x2

-2 EVGA 7800 GT geforce video cards (sli mode)

-western digital caviar 250 GB 16 MB cache SATA 2 configuration.

-at the moment 1 GB (2x 512 ) sticks of ddr 400 pc3200 RAM... only because I couldnt get the computer to start up using the ram i ordered. ill try again as soon as i get the computer working this time.

-creative soundblaster audigy 2.

err... that's the most of it.

anyway.  so i got everything going after first finding out that one of my sticks of memory is bad.  got windows installed.  then the video card drivers. and got the sli going all that.  restarted. turned it off.  then I put my sound card in.  it had been out due to trying to figure out what was wrong.  anyway, turned on the computer.  then installed the drivers.  but just as the drivers were at the end of installing, I had some error I didnt get a chance to read.  and my computer restarted itself.

now it wont even get to the windows loading screen...

i've tried taking out the sound card, leaving it in.  checked all the other plugs on my comp.  I thought for a hwile it was the monitor. cuz i've had an issue similar to this on my other computer with that monitor.  where the video settings along with the monitor would for some reason not let it start up windows.  but I put my other monitor on the computer and that didnt affect it. so its not the monitor. 

if you have any ideas what it could be I can use anything. thanks.

-Mark

so anyway, put it in turned on the computer. 

any beeping codes from the motherboard?

have you looked for a bios update? and take a look at the changelog if a newer bios version is available.

have you tried to install windows again (after putting all hardware in, formating again, then put windows on again)?

that bad memory stick, do you stil use it or what did you do with it ?

As Re-veK mentioned. take all hardware out of it. Just your mobo, CPU one memory stick and one graphics card. intsall Windows again from scratch. Then with every reboot but another new piece of hardware in it. Just install it and make sure it works ok. Don't finetune or tweak it, then reboot and put in another piece of hardware. :)

I have a memory question for my Asus mainboard. Would I benifit having 2 512 Kingston ddr sticks with one stick being a 256 meg ddr substandard stick? Or just the 2 512 matching ones? I know I can use all 3 but, I also know I can't tweak them via Bios using aggressive mode. Thanks in advance.

just put in the 2x 512 and let them work as dual channel with good timings @ 1T command rate.

if you put in a third stick you won't be able to use 1T but have to use 2T settings (the main reason why most overclockers and gamers have 1024 instead of 2048, because 2x1024 were too expensive and the timings were too slow. this has changed now, but the majority still uses their fast 2x512 sticks).

the 256 more aren't very much and the question is if you really need them. if you need more ram I'd sell all 3 sticks and get 2x1024. if you don't need more than 1024 then just use the 2x512. 1T command rate gives you about 10% more memory performance and for a system with a X2 in it I would recommend it - you won't notice it in most games though but it might be useful for some applications.

k last night, I did a force boot from my windows cd.  where i unplugged the HD so it would read from the cd.  then I plugged the HD back in to get it to instal windows.. now when i turn on the computer it says that windows cant start because of a "computer disk hardware confuguration problem. cant read from selected boot disk. check boot path and disk hardware.  please check the windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information"

im going to try and start from just the motherboard, HD, cdrom and memory in.

thanks for your help.

as for the one stick of memory that was bad.  um well I took the memory out of this comuter that I'm using now, to put in the new one. to see if it worked. and it did obviously.  then i put one stick in this one of the new memory.  it didnt work, so i tried the other stick, and it worked.

and for some reason my mobo doesnt seem to give any beep codes... it has a led on the mobo that has error codes.

before i reinstalled windows and got this now "cant start because of comp disk hardware configuration problem" it had an error code of "FF" which is so helpfully described in the manual with "boot"

so... yeah.

-Mark

I guess you had to take the hard drive out to get it to reinstall windows ? Did you need to do that last time ?

If the machine restarts before you can see an error message and it doesnt reach windows, or in fact even if it does, you can press F8 at boot time and choose the option "Do not auto restart on error" or something to that effect. See if that lets you work out what that error is.

well, i'm currently in the process of re-formating and installing windows agian.

and yes I did have to take out the hard drive to let it do this... and then plug it back in.

I tried f8 before it never responded to it...

anyway.  ill see if this works. and get back. thanks again.

-Mark

Now I have another problem... its stuck on FF error again, crashing once it starts up.  so... anyway.  if I can figure out how to get past that.  how do i update the drivers? dont I have to be able to get windows up before I can?  because I found an update... but its a program you have to instal looks like...

sorry not too good w/ computers..

-Mark

sounds like a disk issue, no ?

No ;) Unless your disk is corrupt and can't be read at all. Making it a faulty device and not a corrupt data disk. Motherboards don't give disk erros before an OS is booted. Unless you have enabled SMART. Only reason for a motherboard to give an error on just not boot is defeted hardware or missing / conflicting hardware.

gryphon maybe you can explain him how to make a bios update the old fashioned way, because he isn#t able to boot windows and do it with some self-explaining tool. I guess my (technical) english isn't good enough to explain it properly.

I would love to do that, althoguh the support site has verry clear instuctions already ;)

http://www.evga.com/support/drivers/default.asp?switch=2

FLOPPY (Floppy Disk and Disk Drive Required)

Download the following executable: NF41_E5.exe

Insert floppy disk into drive and run executable

Detailed PDF instructions on updating through floppy disk

You will need a computer to create the diskette, but you can use the diskette on the computer you are trying to fix without booting into Windows.

2 things for you to check slaphapy. .

Does your computer boot. Show your BIOS info and such and then just hangs. Or don't you het any display screen at all ?

Next, how many memory modules are in it and which ? Try getting one out, and mayby change your BIOS to use a 133mhz bus. If you have no clue what I am talking about don't do anything ;)

Last, unlock your harddrive. All of them. Do you still have that FF error ?

just put in the 2x 512 and let them work as dual channel with good timings @ 1T command rate.

if you put in a third stick you won't be able to use 1T but have to use 2T settings (the main reason why most overclockers and gamers have 1024 instead of 2048, because 2x1024 were too expensive and the timings were too slow. this has changed now, but the majority still uses their fast 2x512 sticks).

the 256 more aren't very much and the question is if you really need them. if you need more ram I'd sell all 3 sticks and get 2x1024. if you don't need more than 1024 then just use the 2x512. 1T command rate gives you about 10% more memory performance and for a system with a X2 in it I would recommend it - you won't notice it in most games though but it might be useful for some applications.

Sorry for the late reply but thanks for the help man.  :)

Gah, I havn't been able to take any steps forward due to one huge step back that I have no idea what caused it to happen.

ok... now my computer is stuck at the error "FF" which is described as "BOOT" ...

now i've looked around searching, THE ONLY other case I could find wasnt answered either...

so ahem.  anyway, suddenly my computer a few days ago stoped getting past this. for some reason unknown to me.

I tried everything, changing things one at a time to see if it would work.  nothing has.  then out of the thought maybe my BIOS chip was damaged, I went and grabbed the other board (same exact, has to do with how I bought my video cards) and installed it instead.  but it has the same error!!

I am so pissed right now... all the people who said they'd help me build this with the exception of one... havn't helped... due to my lack of computer knowledge it was highly needed that they help...

i'm rather frustrated sorry.

I am so lost... any ideas of what could be causing this? it seems soo strange that anything would not be compatable or not updated. as I had the damn thing up and runnign with these EXACT same set ups not a week ago...

-Mark

I would love to do that, althoguh the support site has verry clear instuctions already ;)

http://www.evga.com/support/drivers/default.asp?switch=2

You will need a computer to create the diskette, but you can use the diskette on the computer you are trying to fix without booting into Windows.

2 things for you to check slaphapy. .

Does your computer boot. Show your BIOS info and such and then just hangs. Or don't you het any display screen at all ?

Next, how many memory modules are in it and which ? Try getting one out, and mayby change your BIOS to use a 133mhz bus. If you have no clue what I am talking about don't do anything ;)

Last, unlock your harddrive. All of them. Do you still have that FF error ?

no, my computer doesnt start up at all... thats' the thing with the FF error.  its just stuck on that.

I have tried all the combos of memory that I know to be good.  2x 512 MB pc3200 and 1x 1 GB pc3200... this computer has run on both. and doenst give any memory error (which is the C1 thing)

and I have no idea bout the BIos thing.

what do you mean 'unlock' it?

thanks,

-Mark

OH NO!

ugh... this time I started it up once this morning just to try again... and a damn small fire started...!!!!

omg.  wtf?  I assume this means something? I'll try and get a picture up in like an hour or so of it...

I guess I'll switch back to my other motherboard...

btw. heres links to all the parts I ordered.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103544

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104014

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102178

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220079

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144701

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130277 x2

-Mark

it means you have a short circuit. Your powersuppy can be faulty, comething between your cards, CPU, memory and te connectors or just a defect motherbord.

Anyway, if you have almost nothing attached to it (only CPU, memory and graphics adapter) and it still doesn't boot bring it back to the store as the product is defunctioning.

Just as not getting a boot screen. If you have those 3 things and it doesn't boot bring it back.

Just wondering, is this the first computer you have builded yourself ?

if you have the chance to test things on another system... do it. I mean: if you have the chance to test the memory on another system, and the harddrives, and the videocard... and maybe the cpu on another mainboard because you have another one or know a friend with a 939 board. but first of all you should check the power supply I guess...

what do you mean "a small fire started"? how did you notice? was the pc opened? or did you seee a flame? or did it burn something? was anything damaged by the fire?

.  I have tried starting it with one graphics card (i dont have an adapter anywhere, I dont think...) the hd, cdrom and memory.

it actually turned on. so I thought that maybe the other graphics card was bad for some reason. so I turned it off, put in the other graphics card and it didnt start up.  so then i thought maybe it was bad. so I switched back to the other card that I thought was good... and it didnt start up. 

so... i'm not sure wth is up. 

the fire:

th_comp03.jpg

th_comp01.jpg

I started it up. heard a small crackle, looked down and saw a puff of orange... and then saw the black spot as shown above... I have no idea of the different parts of the motherboard... anyone know what part this could be? I'm going to unbulid the comp so I can get a better picture later hopefully.

about the graphics adapter... do they come with all motherboards?  I really dont see anything that would allow me to plug my monitor in... so that's why I had to use one graphics card.

and yes this is the first computer I built. I was supposed to have friends helping me... which was my only reasoning for building one.  but that hasnt come through unfortunately... part of my frustration.

thanks again...

-Mark

edit: oh, and btw, the only thing I can really test is the memory on my other computer, which I have. and every stick I have runs...

my other computer cant run the processor, sata 2 hd, or anything I dont think.

but I'm not really worried aobut something not working, as I've had it up and running once.  so it wouldnt make any sense that one of the things isnt working. just not hooked up properly.

and I cant just take it back to teh store unfortunately... I bought everything off newegg. so i'll have to contact about mailing back parts. another reason i'm trying to do get this built and working as fast as possible so I know what I need to get replaced etc.

-Mark

I have had exactly the same thing ones. A perfectly working computer, put all the stuff in another case. Powered it and same result. Blue light and nothing. I couldn't find anything wrong with it at the time although never used any of the parts in it again. A real shame as it had a new SCSI card and DDS tape drive which costed me a fortune. I just didn't want to risk it effecting another computer of mine.

Yea, I had a board that fried a spot like that, come to find out later it was a damn small screw that had lodged underneath the mboard and caused a bad short. Anyway, look at your mboard manual and it should show exactly what that area that fried is.

Anyway you look at it, I sure as hell wouldn't keep using it even if it runs.  :-

Also, I always use Newegg. Just RMA that puppy before you fry other hardware attached to the board.

RMA RMA RMA!  ;)