DEMO 4 - progress

stefanhendriks

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi stefan :)

i would be nice to see a special function for building concrete. i would like to see that the gamer could select concete, and then just build - with delay of course. its really tiering when you have to go back and forth all the time to build enough concrete.

also, it would be nice if it was possible to make your factories build unlimited trikes/tanks/infantery - or maybe just be able to build 5 og 10 at a time. it sux that you have to remember all the time to go back and select the thing you want to build again and again. this is just my oppenion :)

hope you can make sence of what i am writing. cheers.

Maybe Drawing a box with the concrete slab selected and the computer automaticaly will build slab by slab so that we don't have to pay atention to it

• 1 month later...

Hey MrFlibble,

I am doing fine. I'm taking a break from busy life, ie Holiday! :D

And, with some internet connection and spare time I tend to work on the things I like... ;) Only when it is bad weather like today, else my laptop won't be on of course.

I've also posted a d2tm news message at its website, just to ensure everyone I won't let this project die anytime soon! :)

BTW, I keep forgetting to mention the following. When I last time checked D2TM (I think it was Demo 3) it seemed to me that the unit movement was affected by different terrain types in the same way for wheeled and tracked vehicles, whereas in Dune II they behave differently: wheeled vehicles move fast over sand, slow down on spice, dunes and rock (and get "bumpy" movement on rock, i.e. the sprite moves up and down one pixel while the unit is moving on rock); conversely, tracked vehicles move fastr on rock, dunes and spice, and slow down on sand.

Ah, i see what you mean. D2TM currently has some weird mechanism to determine what should speed up or not.

I can fix that, no problem.

Was wondering though, how would trike's bump on rocks when it goes from UP->DOWN (or down->UP?). Would they 'bump' horizontally?

I've checked the code, how easy it would be to change the code in order to make units (of different types) move at different speed depending on terrain type. Sadly enough it is not easy to change. The code is just too much of a mess there.

I'm already slowly refactoring the units, so eventually such changes should be easy to do.

Heh, I've come to the conclusion that modability is only possible if the code allows it. Altough that is an obvious statement, if you are a programmer you know what I mean.

When the code is not set up correctly, making it modable is going to be a pain in the ...

For now I am busy with the structures. Is getting along nicely :)

I will release DEMO 4 asap. This version is basically a bit improved DEMO 3.5.

So yes, I am aware of the missing Options screen and some other lacking functionality. But I'd rather stay clear with the DEMO numbering than saying "there is a 'secret' demo 3.5 somewhere"... ::)

After DEMO 4; Version 1.0 is the next upcoming version. Perhaps a BETA (0.9x) will be released before that, but I will remove the DEMO part of the version from now on.

DEMO 4: is now available at : http://d2tm.duneii.com/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,29/func,selectcat/cat,1/