DEMO 4 - progress

stefanhendriks

Last update: 10-03-2006 - 19:25 GMT+1

Here demo 4 progress:

DEMO 4 - DEMO 3 (released at: dd/mm/yyyy)

-----------------------------------------

TODO:

- make options screen

- fix starport bug

- finish off skirmish menu so you can setup teams (and play with computer then!)

- fix up AI for skirmish mode, make it more agressive and less cpu eating when building

base.

BALANCING:

- Ornithopter rockets do more damage

- Rockets from Troopers do a bit less damage

- Rocket Turrets do a bit more damage to infantry & vehicles

- Normal Turrets do a bit more damage to infantry & vehicles

- Combat Tank does a bit more damage to infantry

FIXED:

- Workaround for harvesters doing nothing.

- Building troopers/etc for human player.

- Bug where "order" button would be misplaced (too low)

- Bug where you could select computer units via 'team' key's (ie, by pressing 1-5)

- Able to 'repair' units when no repair facility is built.

- Fixed bug Repair Facility. (Units always repair as if they were totally damaged)

- Memory bug in loading INI file. (causing byte shifts, which *could* eventually screw things up)

- Able to select enemy units when pressing group number

CHANGED:

- "Devided" -> "Divided"

- Unit drawing , more accurate on cells.

- Unit drawing , health bar and spice bar is different.

- Unit drawing , selection box is changed

- Unit variables a bit more efficient.

- When buttons are unavailable, they are darkened instead of greyed out.

- AI will now not walk over spice blooms, but shoot them.

- Upgraded Allegro from version 4.0.3 to 4.2.0

- Upgraded Alfont from 1.19 to 2.10

- Source is now compiled under MSVC 7.0

- Dune 2 missions, briefings, etc is now centered in one "campaign" folder

NEW:

- "easy on cpu" auto-code. Will try to give cpu some slack if fps is above 40. Especially useful on

laptops.

- Skirmish mode, AI is primitive, but tough.

- with totally new random map generator built in

- able to create your own skirmish missions via INI files (up to 99 missions)

- 4 players maximum (1 human, 3 CPU)

- CPU can be Sardaukar

* Able to see random created map by hovering mouse on the question mark. Default = invisible, so you can

be really suprised to play (hit 'random map' and then 'play').

- Completely new written structures code (same functionaly as in demo 3 though): using true OOP.

*NOTE: Bug detected, starport does not function 100% yet.

* - Skirmish mode - maps are named as "map##.ini" , up to 99 maps supported.

- RakNet library is compiled in project and will assist in network code in future releases.

- MCV can be deployed with D now (select and press D).

- Carry-Alls blow sand/spice when picking up unit on sandy/spicy terrain.

- Structures graphics updates

- Real shadow blending done

- Structures show ground underneath, so if no fundament is built the building

appears on rock, etc.

- When infantry or troopers get 30% health; a single soldier/trooper appears

with 100% health. The other 2 died (leaving bodies on the ground).

- When not enough money, icons are a bit greyed out + a red cross is drawn over them.

- Tanks are able to squish infantry (leaves big blood splatter for infantry and tiny for soldier, etc)

- Shortkey B added to build last built icon on list (also applies for units)

- Shortkey P added to place built structure

- Shortkey U added to quick-upgrade

- Units can gain experience:

- no stars = no experience

- yellow stars (max 3)

- orange stars (max 3)

- red stars (max 3) -> max experience: twice damage done

(*) Stars are gained by kills; infantry kills give units 2.5/10th star experience.

bigger units 4.5/10th star. 

Units with more experience will deliver bigger hits on enemy units.

- Tech Tree changes:

- Repair Facility & High Tech is available from level 5 now.

- Ordos WOR available at level 5.

- Force attack : Hold left control and click on cell to attack.

- Units & Structures blink when targetted, etc.

- Rally points can be assigned to buildings. Select structure , hold left control and click on map.

NOTE: Do not give an invalid location or the paths will fail to that. When units are unable to

deploy from starport, they are brought via Carry-All to the rallypoint.

- Force move  (ALT)

- Force attack (CTRL)

Hi stefan :)

i would be nice to see a special function for building concrete. i would like to see that the gamer could select concete, and then just build - with delay of course. its really tiering when you have to go back and forth all the time to build enough concrete.

also, it would be nice if it was possible to make your factories build unlimited trikes/tanks/infantery - or maybe just be able to build 5 og 10 at a time. it sux that you have to remember all the time to go back and select the thing you want to build again and again. this is just my oppenion :)

hope you can make sence of what i am writing. cheers.

also, it would be nice if it was possible to make your factories build unlimited trikes/tanks/infantery - or maybe just be able to build 5 og 10 at a time. it sux that you have to remember all the time to go back and select the thing you want to build again and again.

You mean having production queues?

;D Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaah! ;D

Infantry can be overrun! Now we can really talk about battles involving infantry as well as tanks.

Perhaps we should first try out DEMO 4 before changing the heavy trooper's armor or firepower.

I dont think we need production queues, 'cuz one should more rely on tactical weaponery than on mass-assaults.

I sacrificed more than 50 rocket launchers, 80 siege tanks and at least 100 quads in Harkonnen level 9 with usual (classic Dune II) head-on mass-assault-tactics... LOL

by the way: Very nice, that the toolbar can be scrolled with teh mouse-wheel!  8)

But Stefan, you really have to fix that thing that units can drive out of the map...

Perhaps we should first try out DEMO 4 before changing the heavy trooper's armor or firepower.

Yes...

Tactical weaponry can occur with production queues. Build what you think you need to build. I don't see how it results in anything apart from convenience to the player.

Well the production queues could be limited for now (say 5 units max), but then you can only queue them if you have the money (much like a starport, which is much better for building mass armies at once).

i would be nice to see a special function for building concrete. i would like to see that the gamer could select concete, and then just build - with delay of course. its really tiering when you have to go back and forth all the time to build enough concrete.

A hotkey would be nice. It could only be used when no other buildings are being built (or finished not placed). This way you wouldnt have to scroll all over the buidlign list to build concrete, place building, go back up to concrete. You could just press "c" or something and it would automatically build it. I guess the problem would be how to you select the building, maybe a select building hotkey so it becomes selected in the building menu so you can place it.

What if we have a simplifier of sorts? E.g. when the player starts the construction of a building, the game automatically scans the player's concrete for the needed space, and if there isn't such, it scrolls to concrete first and warns the player about concrete should be built, and then automatically scrolls back to the originally selected building.

(an overall wild idea, but who knows ???)

Yes production queues :) that would be really nice..

I think it should be possible to create a huuuge army :) thats the way i like killing my opponents, and i think thats why stefan made the game, so it can handle a fair amount of units.

hm, about the concrete. it would also be nice if it was possible to make the building you are placing, a bit sticky when moving it over a space of concrete that fits the building. god know how many times i have placed a 6xconcrete building besides the concrete because i was in a hurry ;)

well, these are just suggestions.

MrFlibble, i think i once had a version of Dune2 where there would be a notice if there wasnt enough concrete - but that was long ago, and i dont think i would do any good either way :)

I am not entirely sure about queuing stuff because the benefit of a starport would be a bit lost then, however, ofcourse the Starport delivers all at once...

Making a build queue is not that difficult in the current engine so let me ponder about it.

I am more interested in these features:

- making 'squishable infantry' look good. Because the theory works, but for now the infantry is squished BEFORE the tank actually is driven OVER them. Quite nasty is'nt it? It gave the player a bit too much advantage.

- make it possible to do skirmish.

- make it possible to save the game

- make a real ending

- do something about the map border ( this is not that easy, ie, it IS easy to set the limit, but the harvesters fail on creating a path (ie sardaukar), so i have to fix multiple things for this one).

- scoring after ending a mission

an eta? i have no clue. Current week i have a lot of free time so i can do a big deal of work. But i can't give a date. Sometimes i am stuck with a bug for 2 days, stalls the progress a lot!

Please don't add production queues, for it distrubs the original dune II feeling too much.

Even without a queue I have already produced vast armies in the maps i've played, so there's no need for it.

The paramount objectives should be:

- fix ALL harvester bugs

- making 'squishable infantry' look good.

- make it possible to save the game

- make a real ending

- do something about the map border

Blood was done months ago, though I don't know for sure that Stefan is using it.

Infantry and Troopers will almost certainly not be getting shadows, firstly because DII gives them no shadow, secondly because squads already take up the full height of a square.

I use the blood you've given me nema, the only addition i made was that 'troopers' (multiple bodies) will leave 2 blood spatters now and a single soldier/trooper one blood spatter. It looks very nice :D

Gory. Can't remember anything about blood though. The best part was always looking at the corpses of dead soldiers. They look really funny in that pose.

I love how there are many worms, and the fact that spice blooms are constantly generated, but in the early missions, there is a high loss of harvesters (for me anyway), and no way of rebuilding them. Is there any chance to implement refineries ordering new harvesters for 300 credits? Only if they don't have one though - so you can only have as many harvesters as you have refineries.

It would be a great help in the pre-heavy factory missions.

I'm not talking about that. Say in Mission 2 I have two refinaries. A sandworm eats one of my harvesters. Now, if I want to 2 harvesters, I have to build another refinery. Now thats not a bad deal (harvester + silo = $450, while a new refinery is $400), I would like the option to order a new harvester from the refinery or something similar - if only in the starting missions.

EDIT: To clarify it some more, I had 5 refinaries in Mission 2, for only 2 harvesters in the end.

New balancing thing for demo 4.

The worms at this time are not fearsome. If I let my unit on the sand (including harvester), during the mission the worm will eat mabe only 2 or 3 units, it dosen't give a bing impact.

In my point of view, worm should be really more dangerous.

First of all, in the dune movie, harvesting is a dangerous thing, the second that a worm is detected in the perimeter they call carryall to evacue. At the moment in d2tm, it's really rare that worms eat harvester. Troops deplacement sould bring significant danger, because a massive army moving on sand excite many worms. Rocks should be more significant as a secure place then just some place to put concrete and structures.

If in d2tm harvesting was a dangerous thing, this could bring a lot more stategic.

1 Each times a worm sight is detected. The player first reaction would be : I got to save me harvester in priority. Then, are my units in security.

2 Attrackting worms to the enemy harvester with a kamikase ou a fast moving unit.

At the moment I feel that the worm are in to mode :

1 moving for fun

2 seeking only one target, with no alternative.

This sould be.

1 Seek the units that makes more vibration

2 If the worm can't reach unit or lost it, he seek for a next meal

3 Why not to size of worm? (on small and other 4x4 that can immerge form the sand in a strait shot, and make a hole in you 10 tanks moving to attack)

If gathering ressources and troops movements is a more perious task, we would economy spice and try more tactics then just massive army ramming to the base. Wormsight should be more frequent and allways triggered be vibration. When the vibration level reach a certain value more than one worm show himself to eat.

In a second part, would be cool to add every sounds that were in dune 2 and vocie message, i can't wait to ear again all the various sonds and the cool voice of the tree house and warning gived by the mantat. (ps: at the moment ther is still some sounds bug, some sounds or class of sounds are not playings for periode of time that appear again) [Volume options would be nice to, each time I start the game it change my windows wav and syntiser volume to the max]

tell me what you think about that.