DEMO 3 - (Released!)

stefanhendriks

Regarding infantry, In Dune II, once you took a squad of infantry to half health, the three were replaced with a single infantry with full health.

Also, is there going to be a shadow added for the infantry?

Missiles, in reality, are quite powerful against tanks.

I know, my point was that Tanks are quite powerfull against infanty as well.

And I don't think we should have shields. It makes the game far too unbalanced. Invulnerable tanks? What the hell? Wasn't a small group of iron curtained apocalypse tanks in Red Alert 2 a disaster enough? Now an entire army of invulnerable tanks? Unless you have some counter-shield technology that actually goes through the shield and damages the tank significantly, or there's a shield degenerator.

The problem of laser weapons compounds the complication of it too... Are we going to have laser weapons?

I really was joking about shields earlier. If shields were implemented, it would throw D2:TM way off orbit from the clone. If shields and politics were implemented into a dune based/inspired game, I would rather it be in the risk-ish style game. But thats another story...

I just played through the Atreides 9th mission and noticed some things.

I guess several of thme have been mentioned before:

- will you implement the original duneII-feature that infantry can capture enemy structures?

- Ornithoper-movement should be fixed, it looks not round/smooth

- perhaps you could decrease the range of the rocket turrets by one field

- target priority should be: 1 enemy ground units -- 2 enemy air units -- 3 sandworm (if at all)

perhaps only Ordos and Hark should attack sandworms by themselves, as the ATreides are allies

of the Fremen

- Do the rocket/missile-units already attackt air-units? I don't think so.

- special-weapons-icon on the palace is missing

- the sounds and messages for: "storage capacity low - build silos" and "new construction options

" are missing. I think it would be nice to add them, as they would create the original dune II

feeling

- the chassis of t the combat tank and the missile launcher look a little bit strange, as the

caterpillar tracks can be seen on top of the vehicle.

I can't imagine any tank lacking track-covers. Often, the tracks are covered by the tanks armor-

platin

It looks a little bit toy-like...  :-

- perhaps (in a later version of d2m) the siege tanks gun can be repainted (I could do that)

that it fits to the

original dune II unit pictures. The siege tanks on the pictures have their gun barrels

...but I'm not completely sure about that...

vertically --> one above the other, and not side by side

- but by the way: where is the gatling gun of the troopers? I didn't see a trooper firing a

single gun round. Only missiles.

+ the combat tank's turret looks really nice  :D I love it!

+ the soldiers have a real nice appearance !!!  :)

+ the more I play, the more i like the super-strong troopers, because they cabn be defeated with

infantry, but not with tanks. I can hardly imagine that a tank can hit a group of

desert-experienced soldiers with a cannon-shell. so it is quite realistic.

I've always been wondering why the troopers were so weak in the original dune II

for they were carrying a fearsome arsenal of weapons!

+ siege tank's balanced perfectly

But please dont take this critcism personally, Stefan!  ;)

You can be really proud of your work! The best and most complete dune II clone i've ever seen!

By the way: Anyone knowing of any dune legacy progress?

It was also a very nice attempt with only a few things missin... :(

Wonder why it wasnt finished  ???

Dune Legacy has changed several developers during its progress. Currently it has a complete rewrite by dvalin (forum member), who tries to minimize the amount of original/modified data from the game to avoid copyright problems. He attempts to create a perfect data extractor and converter for Dune 2, and only then DL will be polished gameplay-wise. However, I haven't heard much of him lately... I guess you'd look up some threads in Dune Editing or Other Dune Games/Dune II boards of our forum.

After letting my harvestors get all the spice, they were at top left corner, and off the map.

Also when we are making reference to ornis, we really mean carryalls right?

I havn't seen the atreides orni yet (because of palace).

[attachment deleted by Gobalopper]

Ok, I missed that.

Building an army of ornis was fun once i took out their missle turrets with rocket tanks.

When my orni goes to attack enemy base on its own and enemy rocket turrets shoot at it (i assume so), it should reveal shroud on top of the rocket turret?

It seems that shrowd is revealed where the ornis are destroyed. That's good too.

Rocket troops are too powerful against havesters (actually I don't think harvestors have enough HP or they seem to die way too easily, before you even notice they are under attack).

I take it the turret is more effective against infantry and trikes then the missle turret?

EDIT:

I notice most of this is fixed in the next release.

Ornis do not attack the target you tell them do. If they do they attack it once then go back to killing whatever they want.

My ornis end up getting damaged and killed when i ahve mutkiple of them selected and tell them to repeatedly attack a building.

Would be nice to have a hotkey to select all ornis on map at once.

When the enemy is out of money and it is trying to repair its buildings, the repair wrench pops up lots as if it was being repaird (but its not, so its pointless to show animated bouncing all over the building).

Short comment back:

The repair animation is stopped to show there is no money to upgrade. So , there is a double visual way for the user to see there is no way to repair the buildings, but the repairs will continue once there is money.

The Ornithopters are unable to attack structures, i figured that out code-wise a few hours back.

The Ornithopters are unable to attack structures, i figured that out code-wise a few hours back.

I got a bunch of mine to eventually destroy some, by clicking on different buildings each time they would fire rockets and fly away then I'd tell them to attack another building, some would attack others would just fly there.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest raidercom

I noticed when I was playing a level, that when the enemy destroyed my light factory, I was still able to build a heavy factory.  Is this a bug, or was this intentional?

Well to be honest, i think the whole tech-three-per-mission is kind of weak. Just because you are 'lower in rank' you get less means to pursue the ultimate goal? I don't think in 'real war' it will be like "ow, you are a rank 1 commander, but you have a total command on region x? well, you may only train soldiers!"... I think it would be more logical to allow the gamer to build the entire tech-tree, but that certain technologies will be unlocked by other structures. However, once unlocked, when a specific structure is destroyed, the technology is gone? That would not make sense to me...

Ie, here is an example:

- you have a light and heavy factory

- your light factory gets destroyed

so, now you must build a light factory before you can build a heavy factory again?

In Red Alert and Tiberian Sun, you will only lose the option to build certain technologies only if both the prerequisite structure AND the factory are destroyed.

However, I've always found the strict link between the prerequisites and production quite useful as an encouragement to better protect one's base, or, on the contrary, disrupt the enemy production and cripple the army by taking out specific structures instead of just going for factories.

Well to be honest, i think the whole tech-three-per-mission is kind of weak. Just because you are 'lower in rank' you get less means to pursue the ultimate goal? I don't think in 'real war' it will be like "ow, you are a rank 1 commander, but you have a total command on region x? well, you may only train soldiers!"... I think it would be more logical to allow the gamer to build the entire tech-tree, but that certain technologies will be unlocked by other structures. However, once unlocked, when a specific structure is destroyed, the technology is gone? That would not make sense to me...

Ie, here is an example:

- you have a light and heavy factory

- your light factory gets destroyed

so, now you must build a light factory before you can build a heavy factory again?

Hi Stefan

I agree that the idea behing giving a lower rank commander not the entire use of technology is somewhat weird. Still a tech-tree is mostly used to add gameplay, reward the player for getting forward in the game. Personally i wouldn't delete the expanding tech-tree feature as it would damage the DUNE II feel. Optional use of an expanding tech-tree through the game could be a solution to both tastes but that would probably mean a whole lot of extra programming.

Jochem

For the general D2TM conquest mode, I can justify a growing tech-tree. Say at the start of the game, technology specially suited for desert combat is not too well developed yet, thus you have to make do with trikes and quads. Ordos beat them to this stage, and produced the better-suited Raiders. Later on, as you build hi-tech facilities, you get to develop stronger units. It's not that the hi-tech facility cannot be built or anything - it's just that it's not even developed. Nobody thought of building them. Devastators might not exist at the start of a war.