Duniverse Wiki?

Gobalopper

Wow, I'm going to say this, and not for the first time.  I love you Gob.  Great idea.  Although I'm dreading what the page will look like that relates to the Prequels as Canon argument...

But yeah, this is a great idea, and we have more than enough knowledge to create it.

Why not?  If not, then how about a "Prequels V Encyclopaedia as a Canon" page.

Because until FH's notes are printed as they were found, neither the Prequels or the Encyclopaedia are canon. We don't know what was changed for the prequels, and the Encyclopaedia is canon up to the point where it isn't really real canon; it's as if they reproduced a book from the universe, it isn't like any of those "Star Wars cutout" books where everything is totally 100% legit. The DE is going to be like any other book with bias and POVs that existed when the book was written (in the Dune timeline).

Wikipedia has already shown that controvertial topics will become ridden with false entries and editorials. If there is any possible location for people to vent their hatred/support of the prequels then it will just turn into a slagging match as so many threads have done. Thus any comparison between the prequels and the Encyclopaedia, or articles regarding whether the prequels are canon or not, are just asking for trouble. I don't mind this kind of trouble in threads here, but in what is hopefully to be a definitive collection of duniverse infomation it would be disastrous.

In order to avoid that, it would be best to keep the prequels and any infomation derived from them completely seperate from the originals. Eg:

Right

According to the Encyclopaedia, House Ginaz produced many martial experts until it was destroyed by Duke Moritani. In the prequels however, House Ginaz is replaced by the Swordmasters of Ginaz, who train representatives of other Great Houses.

There is little clear indication of the Ixian political background in the original six novels. In the prequels, Ix is ruled by Great House Vernius.

Wrong

Leto I's first marriage was to Kailea Vernius. Following her suicide, he took Jessica as a concubine.

The first examples make it clear that there is a difference between the prequels and other sources of infomation. The second treats the prequels as canon without reference to other sources, which is only going to upset people.

Of course the above examples are far from ideal, but they illustrate a point.

I suggest that we treat the prequels as a tentative canon, and treat the Encyclopedia as a sort of highly elaborate fan fiction. We have to stay mainstream here, to be realistic. I personally like the style of the Encyclopedia, but that isnt how most people feel. Also we shouldnt worry about all of these debates until this thing comes to life. Once it does we have to remember that it is completely organic and can evolve into any way the Dune fans desire. So lets just wait till it happens.

How can I help the process? I dont think I can do much as i dont know how these things are made. How long would it take for something liek this to be made? who will be working on it?

I suggest that we treat the prequels as a tentative canon

How can you say this?  :-X

I think the best thing is to consider only DUNE BY FRANK HERBERT canon :D

The rest is non canon. Enciclopedia is a nice and quite reliable addition or extension to FH Dune and can be considered as that.

The xx/xx books, well in the best scenario they have to be treated as a completely separate way.

I don't thing is so complicated.

All this flame threads about the so silly question canon/noncanon have to be simply ignored.

I think to even treat the prequels as equal with the Encyclopaedia (which is what I am suggesting) is being more than generous. Complete neutrality. Any bias toward one or the other will result in attacks from one side or the other. This post itself proves that.

No, I'm not living in the future.  We are not here to present our views in this Wiki, we are here to present the official information to people coming to this site, and the official stance is that the Prequels is canon.  If you want to add a bit at the end of each page saying: "However, according to the Dune Encyclopaedia", followed by the differences between the DE and the Prequels, and that phrase linking to a page explaining the reason behind the differences between the two, then you are welcome to. Also you should set up a Wiki page outlining the pros and cons of using each as canon

No, I'm not living in the future

Infact i think you live in the cannabis world.

we are here to present the official information to people coming to this site

We are here to think on our mind and express our free and real-based view.

If YOU are here to slap the a*s of a failed man, that's your problem.

PS : Tell me how i can't laugh or feel surprised when i think that exists people like this...

We aren't here to present the official view. That can be left to the officials. We are here to present what is correct. But since there is no universal opinion regarding canon (besides that of the original six books), we shall just have to treat the Encyclopaedia and the prequels equally. Dunenewt is correct when he says that we are not here to present our views. I myself am a dedicated supporter of the Encyclopaedia and detractor of the prequels, but in this case I advocate complete non-bias in the presentation because that is the only way to keep it neutral. There should not be

a Wiki page outlining the pros and cons of using each as canon
Because believe me, it will degenerate into a prequel vs Encyclopaedia vendetta extremely quickly.

Infact i think you live in the cannabis world.

We are here to think on our mind and express our free and real-based view.

If YOU are here to slap the a*s of a failed man, that's your problem.

PS : Tell me how i can't laugh or feel surprised when i think that exists people like this...

I can tell you why you can't laugh.  Because you're trying to outsmart me when english obviously isn't your first language.

So who is a failed man? Brian Herbert or Kevin J Anderson, the millionaire authors.  Or you?  Who thinks that it is so cool that you spelt Angel with a 3.  Wow, I wish I was that cool.  Maybe I should be Dun3n3//t?  Now am I cool enough to talk to you?

And besides I have never tried cannabis in my life.  So shove that in your pipe and smoke it.

Anyway, the official view is the correct view, and as BH points out in some books, there are differences in dates etc, but BH has said his are to be used as the correct ones.  Who are we to argue with the author?

He isn't the author. He's an upstart. The official view is no longer the correct one, because it has its own agenda to advance.

So who is a failed man? Brian Herbert or Kevin J Anderson, the millionaire authors.  Or you?  Who thinks that it is so cool that you spelt Angel with a 4.  Wow, I wish I was that cool.  Maybe I should be Dun3n3//t?  Now am I cool enough to talk to you?
Also, he spells it with a 3. Not a 4.  ;) 

I can tell you why you can't laugh. Because you're trying to outsmart me when english obviously isn't your first language

Oh i laugh instead, 'cause first you're blind to read even 4 for a 3 :) Then this is a precise aesthetics choice, that you can't understand for sure.

So who is a failed man? Brian Herbert or Kevin J Anderson, the millionaire authors.

Mmm, i think a failed millionaire :)

Now am I cool enough to talk to you?

I don't think so. First learn to think on your own, then learn to REALLY understand the only 6 books by Frank Herbert, and then we can talk.

Oh i laugh instead, 'cause first you're blind to read even 4 for a 3 :) Then this is a precise aesthetics choice, that you can't understand for sure.

Spelling it with a 3 is even worse.  At least 4 looks kind of like an A.  For sure I can understand no matter how badly you mutilate my language.

Mmm, i think a failed millionaire :)

Yes, you know you've failed in life when you're a millionaire.  Damn, thank god I'm not rolling in it...

I don't think so. First learn to think on your own, then learn to REALLY understand the only 6 books by Frank Herbert, and then we can talk.

We are talking now. Yes I've read all the six Dune books.  In English.  And some of them even in French.  I am thinking by myself dumbass, because if you have a look at the popular opinion on this board relating to this issue, I think you'll then realise that my opinion is the oposite to the majority.  Don't bother coming back to this thread, or board, until you have something to say which doesn't give across the impression that you're a prepubescent asshole with verbal diarrhoea.

Brian Herbert is the author.  He is the rightful heir being the son of Frank.  No but wait he would dig up Frank's own body just to make money.  Even though he's a failed millionaire.

I dispise the prequels as much as any other prequel hater here, but it seems to me that there has to be a certain professional attitude if we were to make a Wiki for this thing. It would not only be seen by us Dune2k posters, but by others as well.

Thank you TMA.  I like the Prequels and the DE.  But the Prequels must be used as Canon.  Anything from the DE is just intricate Fan-fic, although it certainly (as does its author) in the DE, and I think that the DE should be refenced in most articles.

Spelling it with a 3 is even worse.  At least 4 looks kind of like an A.

Infact, this demonstrate how you've not understood the intentions of the 3, and so how poor cultured and arrogant you are.

Yes, you know you've failed in life when you're a millionaire.

If your name is BH, yes you've failed totally even if you're a millionaire.

until you have something to say which doesn't give across the impression that you're a prepubescent asshole with verbal diarrhoea.

Again with your arrogance. Before even thinking of saying such things, first read ALL my Previous Posts in different threads, and THEN i repeat we can talk.

Brian Herbert is the author.  He is the rightful heir being the son of Frank.

Ahaha, i dont' believe what i'm reading, he's the rightful heir ONLY BECAUSE he's the SON of Frank. Well, i think your right place would be in the medieval time where inheritance's succeding power was the norm.

Finally, the more i read you, the more i see how arrogant and "small developed" you are with your 6085 messages...bah.