What order should i read the entire Dune collection?

jmoussa1987

As i am obtaining every Dune novel, either through buying or borrowing, i wish to read them all.

What is the best order to read them?

So far i have read Dune 1 and House Atreides.

i think the best format would be :

Dune 1-6, then preludes(ATR,HARK,CORR)? and then what order for Legends('Jihads')? by the time i read all these it will probably be almost 1.5 years i guess, depending on the frequency of reading on my part. After i have read theseĀ  Dune 7 and 8 should be out then(considering how hastily BH/KA write these novels) and i can then read that which is best after i have read all the previous novels and have a good understanding of the Jihad wars.

I have an eletronic copy(PDF) of Dune Encyclopedia but i refuse to read it until i have read all the books, otherwise it makes for a great spoiler and reduces the enjoyment and excperience of the novels(since i know what the hell is going to happen already). It is just like someone telling you the ending of a film before you watch it.

I have only just engrossed myself with the Dune universe in 2006 but since i loved it so much i have decided to get more heavily into it(rather than just stopping at the first book which was fun because it followed the film). In fact i watched the film along time ago, even before i picked up the novel. enough rambling...

Depends on what's your preference, really. There's no "right" answer. If you dig chronology, of course you'd go the "Legends of Dune" trilogy, the "Prelude to Dune" trilogy, then Dune 1-6. If you aren't interested in the Jihad except as a sidestory, maybe do the "Prelude to Dune" trilogy and then Dune 1-6, the "Legends of Dune" trilogy as an afterthought. Otherwise, if you want to take full scope of Frank Herbert's work first and foremost, of course you'd want to go Dune 1-6, then everything else.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Dune Encyclopedia. It's not official, it's been denounced by the Herbert Limited Partnership, and only goes from Dune - God Emperor of Dune anyway. You'll just confuse yourself when you start reading the prequels/Legends/Dune7-8. Read it if you want, but take it with a grain of salt.

It was official for years, it should be official, it was endorsed by Frank Herbert himself. The Encyclopaedia has more claim to legitimacy than any of the prequels.

I wasn't going to suggest anything, but you would probably be best reading the original six novels first, the House series and then the Legends series. That way when things start to get bad (around halfway through House Corrino) you know exactly how much suffering you have left. The downside of this strategy is that there is nothing to look forward to at the end, but that's where rereading Heretics and Chapterhouse comes in.

read the six novels, and the preludes as well, they are pretty entertaining, though incorrect in a few key places (VERNIUS).

I personally didnt read a bulk of the legends series... made me upset.

PERSONAL OPINION:

the Dune Encyclopedia has a much more surreal and creative conception of the times before and after the Jihad. It has a much more adult, strange, and creative feel, like Franks books.

the Legends series reads more like star trek, with machines acting like evil overlords, using outlandish weapons in swashbuckling battles. I dont like them, that is all I will say.

So Brian Herbert is lying about his dead father in this, too... *sigh* I give up.

Frank Herbert endorsed many things. He endorsed Dune bedsheets, Dune action figures, all kinds of Dune stuff. You guessed it, he endorsed the Dune movie and even worked heavily with Lynch ... oh look, it's raining on Dune! Is that canon? Absolutely not.

So Brian Herbert is lying about his dead father in this, too... *sigh* I give up.

Yes, we are EVIL!!!! we are evil guys, soo evil I'd just kick myself if I could >:(

You guessed it, he endorsed the Dune movie and even worked heavily with Lynch ... oh look, it's raining on Dune! Is that canon? Absolutely not.

The movie is quite good as itself. As a movie inspired by the book, nothing more and no less. And btw, no one claims Lynch's movie is the only and absolute canon screen adaptation. Same goes for the miniseries.

I believe that Frank Herbert encouraged as many interpretations and perceptions of his writing as possible - this is quite natural. And his successors, on the contrary, try to force us into a strict dychotomy of canon vs non-canon. That's intellectual tyranny, I say!

It's quite simple actually. Just read Dune 1-6 and that should be all you need. DE is a little popcorn in my opinion, and the Brian Herbert thing can be ignored altogether.

I haven't read whatever I told you not to read, and I am biased. But I do not believe I should change my stand.

In any way, the original books by Frank herbert are the core. Without reading them, there's no real understanding of the Dune universe. After them, probably you'd read in chronological order: the Encyclopaedia, then the BH/KJA books in the order they were written.

This, at least, seems logical.

Yes, we are EVIL!!!! we are evil guys, soo evil I'd just kick myself if I could >:(

The movie is quite good as itself. As a movie inspired by the book, nothing more and no less. And btw, no one claims Lynch's movie is the only and absolute canon screen adaptation. Same goes for the miniseries.

I believe that Frank Herbert encouraged as many interpretations and perceptions of his writing as possible - this is quite natural. And his successors, on the contrary, try to force us into a strict dychotomy of canon vs non-canon. That's intellectual tyranny, I say!

Movie was outstanding, absolutely. And the encyclopedia is excellent reading material (even FH said he enjoyed it), absolutely. And you're right, FH encouraged open interpretation of his work.

ahh who gives a crap about canonicity. These books are works of fiction, and lets face it, he wrote the rest of the Dune novels to make money. That doesnt put a negative mark on them at all, it just means that they are fiction. I mean look at The Godfather, made purely for making money.

So in this light, I can make my own canon, and the DE fits perfectly with so many (but not all) things. that is just my own opinion. Its fiction, and frankly Brian and Kevin dont know how to write brilliant fiction.

I second the motion, read Dune 1 - 6 first.Ā  The later books I can take or leave, they're entertaining in their own right, but IMO not exactly well written nor conforming to the "Duniverse" as I think of it.Ā  Especially in the "House" books, you can pick out the two different writing styles between chapters.Ā  One is quite well done, the other has an infuriating use of the word "like" (as in "like a ripe grapefruit hit by a club" or something...)Ā  I can only guess who is doing what writing because I have never read KJA, nor Brian without his father.Ā  The styles converge somewhat in the Jihad books, which I found more enjoyable from a stylistic standpoint but less believable.

read dune 1-6. Don't read the rest, I would rather read Battlefield earth then the BJ series, all though the house series is slightly better, although still a waste of time.

Yes, Brian herbert have the right to interpet dune anyway they want. I also have the right to make a Paul/Stilgar slash by that accord, and sprinkle it with a Chani Irulen lemon to. Just because I have the right to, doesn't mean I should.

I forgot, I have to put "based on the notes by frank herbert"Ā  in small print under "Paul and Stilgar's fun in the sun."

Read ABSOLUTELY ONLY DUNE 1-6 BY FRANK HERBERT if you want a REAL and ONLY VALID view of the Dune Universe.

Read the all other sh**s if you just want to be confused about all the rest, or you want only read some poor pop-blast-here-and-there.

Oh, finally god is blessed. :)

Especially in the "House" books, you can pick out the two different writing styles between chapters.Ā  One is quite well done, the other has an infuriating use of the word "like" (as in "like a ripe grapefruit hit by a club" or something...)Ā  I can only guess who is doing what writing because I have never read KJA, nor Brian without his father.Ā  The styles converge somewhat in the Jihad books, which I found more enjoyable from a stylistic standpoint but less believable.

When reading House Harkonnen, although in translation, I definitely noticed that different parts of the book (following different plotlines) were written by two different people. And one of them, to me, is much more talented a writer than another. Pity I can only guess who's who...

Well then, just a side note.

the Dune Encyclopedia has a much more surreal and creative conception of the times before and after the Jihad. It has a much more adult, strange, and creative feel, like Franks books.

What I liked about the Dune Encycloedia is that it is written by fans, mostly educated fans, friends and students of MacNielly (credited at the back of the book) and as such creates the feel of historical documents, which are subject to WIDE interpretation, so much so that several entries in the book are given multiple interpretations. It's conceit is that it was written by scholars after the discovery of the Rakis Hordes, after the death of the God Emperor, and the writings are subject to human interpretation and fallibility. The further you get from a series of events (some 15,000+ years from the Butlerian Jihad until the "writing" of the Encyclopedia for example) means that things may not be entirely told accurately, truthfully or with the focus that someone experiencing the events would like. And I believe that it is suggested in GEoD that Leto II had no qualms about modifying historical records to suit his needs.

I just wish that BH & KJA could have seen the value of including this as canon writing but such that is it subject to interpretation and inaccuracies, rather than just writing it off entirely.

the Dune Encycloedia is that it is written by fans

I mean no offense, but that pretty much says it right there.

I don't believe Frank would have ever actually gone as far as saying (or even thinking), "Blast! That encyclopedia is apocryphal!" but I don't believe he ever would have used it as a backstory/database for whatever he would have written beyond Dune 6.

I'd trust that whatever sentiment he would have held toward the encyclopedia, Brian Herbert may (or may not have) been privy to. But it's his call. Honestly, if the notes and whatnot didn't conflict with the encyclopedia, I can't think of very many reasons why Brian wouldn't have included McNelly "in the mix" of his prequels... what would have been the harm?

No. Just the opposite, in fact. I think he's insecure and threatened by the greatness of his father and the hard work of Dr Mcnelly. So rather than a case of "I can do this because I'm BETTER than them" it's more a case of "I'd better squish the Encyclopaedia as much as possible in case people realise that it's so much better than my work." Kind of sad, really.

It's the only reason that I can think of for why the prequel authors turned down Dr McNelly when he offered to help them. I mean even if they weren't going to follow the Encyclopaedia, why not accept his help? It doesn't make sense.

NeoDevilbane, you generally do mean offense.

No. Just the opposite, in fact. I think he's insecure and threatened by the greatness of his father and the hard work of Dr Mcnelly. So rather than a case of "I can do this because I'm BETTER than them" it's more a case of "I'd better squish the Encyclopaedia as much as possible in case people realise that it's so much better than my work." Kind of sad, really.

It's the only reason that I can think of for why the prequel authors turned down Dr McNelly when he offered to help them. I mean even if they weren't going to follow the Encyclopaedia, why not accept his help? It doesn't make sense.

NeoDevilbane, you generally do mean offense.

I didn't realize bitter 18 year olds were such excellent judges of men old enough to be their grandfather, yet they know nothing about.

I'm doing no such thing. I've never said 'it was morally wrong of him to-' or 'Clearly the man is evil.' What I'm doing is saying that he's a jealous, insecure, deluded person with all the writing skills of a brick. And also that if the prequels are read at all, it should be after the original series.