EVE

Davidu

Have you played this game until now?

Man, it looks great, but I can't play it yet! No plastic money! Darn!

I've spent some time on it's site and it's a world of it's own.

Is there a Dune corporation? (corporation=alliance=faction)

www.eve-online.com

Take a look. For me it's great... if that world would have been real... OH GOD!

thats a shame dude.... you would love it.... i just finished building my super dual SLI 7800gtx system and its so realistic and beautiful looking that i play with a constant erection.  If you ever get into the game look me up and i will hook you up with cash and ships and even get your alliance application processed....so that you can experience the higher aspects of the game.  Try saving up some cash... cause if you buy a full 1 yr subscription.... the monthly fee is less than 11 bucks.  Nothing beats that.  Oh and the trial account is FREE... its like 7-14 days... so atleast mess around with it.

Ok, I finished the tutorial... almost. I have to go to the second agent. Anyway... it's out of this world. It's extremely complex! I don't want to think how you'll manage one of the larger ships. Jeez!

So, now I have about 2 weeks of gameplay. Ha ha! After that I think I'm gonna sell my organs for money. LOL I hope I won't become THAT dependant.

Ok, I finished the tutorial... almost. I have to go to the second agent. Anyway... it's out of this world. It's extremely complex! I don't want to think how you'll manage one of the larger ships. Jeez!

So, now I have about 2 weeks of gameplay. Ha ha! After that I think I'm gonna sell my organs for money. LOL I hope I won't become THAT dependant.

LOL... dawiduh if you are that hard up for cash we can take up a collection to buy you some game time cards.

I did some thinking, and I realised that my defence of World of Warcraft is based on experience in a grand total of one MMORPG.  Sure, I've seen plenty of others, but only really played WoW.  Gunwounds (so far the main defender of EVE / attacker of WoW) has at least played the Beta for WoW.  I figured that some of my arguments would have a lot more merit had I actually played EVE.

So, two days ago, I downloaded the game and set up a free 14-day trial account.  Here's a quick sum-up of my thoughts so far.

As soon as you begin, it's quite obvious that this game is complicated.  Even character creation is surprisingly detailed.  Using a combination of the online Player Guide and what I thought best fitted my persona, I decided to make myself a Gallente Intaki called Leivan Eridu.  This guy focuses on mining skills, as defined by my choices later on in the process.  I liked the overall idea of the character appearance customisation, but some aspects seemed restrictive.  Better in some ways to the WoW character creation (more customisable features, more overall choice), but the end effect is that characters still look quite generic.

But who cares!  Time to get into the game.  The Player Guide said to set aside a few hours for the tutorial, and they were right; the thing is huge.  The AI Guide is quite refreshing, though, and takes things at a good pace.  There's a lot to take in, but by the end, you come out feeling that you've at least grasped the basics, but that there's still tons more you don't know.

Not really explored much gameplay yet (more on that as I play more of the game), but initial reactions are favourable.  Despite the game crashing without so much as an error message the first time I launched into space, I'm quite happy with my EVE experience so far.  Some points I've picked up, though, that could be improved;

• [+] The user interface is clunky.  By this, I mean that the windows that can be opened are large anyway, sometimes taking up 25% or more of your screen, and either contain far too much information or too little.
    [+] Movement is a lengthy and overly complicated process, whether it's short or long distances.  Also encountered issues with the 'Approach' command tending to bounce me off static objects, turn me around, then fly full pelt into them again, ad infinitum.
    [+] Lag of doom.  My computer kicks ultimate ass, so there's no issue with RAM or anything.  Checked a help channel and they said that they know about the lag and are fixing it, but it's really disruptive.  Everything's jerky, giving the game a sort of strobe-light effect.  Sans blinding light and epilepsy, of course. :P
    [+] Flying through stations and sometimes planets when warping is just funny.
    [+] The quest system seems dull and, again, overly complex.  More on this as I play.

Other than that, the general idea of the game is definitely something that appeals to me.  It expands on several aspects of Freelancer that I've always wanted to experience: truly 3D space (not just one astral plane on which every planet in every system miraculously lies); a huge universe in which to trade; much better customisation of ships; much more social aspects.  Just a generally better experience.  I expect I'll get more into it over time, but so far this game gets a 7/10 rating, if my ratings mattered for anything. ;)

Like I said, more will follow as I play the game more.  I can see why so many people like this game, as it looks like something you could really (and I mean really) get into.  The sci-fi setting always seems more real to me, even though some aspects of EVE are just as unlikely as WoW.  I'm looking forward to my next... *checks*... 11 days of free play.  Who knows; maybe I'll end up paying for a subscription?  It certainly looks plausible. :)

I never got LAG. LOL. It runs so smooth I can't believe it  ;D

I played WOW on some er... "personal" servers, and even if it weemed cool, those servers hosted by some wyz kid with a better computer worked like shit. The game is cool. The thing is I'm more addicted to SF.

The word "pula" means "d*ck". So, if you hear something like "sugi pula" it means "s*ck my d*ck".

There are other words you might look out for but it's more fun if you discover them yourself. ;D

Where's your friend staying in USA? I have a friend who is at LSU near Baton Rouge.

@Gunwounds: LOL, just kidding, maybe I'll subscribe after I end this 14 day trial. On the same Character though. It has the perfect name for me: Dawiduh Atreides. Mail me when you get in the game. I'd like to tell you where I am... but I don't remember the system's name. I'm doing some errands for the second agent. I still got my fisrt ship. No new one... stil have to research my Frigate lvl2 skill. Money I think it's irrelevant. I mean I've made around 200.000 but that musn't be much on the long run.

few points to mention:

1.) Yes the windows are intrusive in low resolutions.. but if you are playing with a nice system you should be playing in no less than 1600x1200 in which case the windows arent very intrusive.  I personally play at 2048 x 1208 resolution and its perfect i think.

2.) Lagg is only noticeable in huge huge market areas....which is where your new character most likely spawned.. its not bad in other areas and personally i never lagg (but then again my system is ultra high-end and i have a sweet cable connection)

3.) They are planning on upgrading their ENTIRE server system to all AMD 64's instead of their current 32's... they have found that this will triple their performance in preliminary tests. Such great news.  This upgrade will be performed this february.  Even better news.  And so therefore after february... all server-side lagg (even in crowded market regions) will be almost non-existent.  And any lagg you experience will be your computers fault (termed client lagg).

4.) I will admit tho that slow computers with not so hot GPU's will lag a bit on EVE as EVE is the best game out there for graphics... they actually won Best MMO of 2005 and Best Graphics of 2005.

5.) As far as my experience in MMO's ... i have to say that i played 1.5 yrs of Star Wars Galaxies (what a torture that was), 1.5 yrs so far of EVE, and about a few months of WoW near-final Beta.  So i would say i know what to expect from an MMO. 

6.) Yes travel can be lengthy sometimes in EVE.. but its necessary to create a "Large Universe" and experienced pilots can even show you ways around this barrier *wink* *wink*

7.) All in All..  if dragoon, dawiduh, or anyone joins EVE... look up the character "Xors".  I am part of a Corporation that is part of an Alliance that controls the IPS constellation in the Geminate Region.  My corporation "Four Horsemen [LIH]" is the warhorse and another key element of our alliance is "NAGA"  which is one of the premiere ultra-industrial corporations out there.  Together we make a fine pair along with the other snmaller corps in our alliance.  Contact me and if you join us i guarantee you will experience the end-game level content and everything EVE has to offer.

Regards,

Gunwounds

it's not very new... But anyway.

I've mailed you Gunwounds. Got my second ship. A frigate. It's ugly as hell.... better make more money and advance skills to get a better one.

Gunwounds, why are you "WANTED" by the Gallente? What did you do to them? LOL

it's not very new... But anyway.

I've mailed you Gunwounds. Got my second ship. A frigate. It's ugly as hell.... better make more money and advance skills to get a better one.

Gunwounds, why are you "WANTED" by the Gallente? What did you do to them? LOL

hehehe.   I replied.  And that "WANTED" sign on my potrait and the 11 million dollar bounty isnt put there by the AI, it was put there by real players ;D  What did i do to him? Oh you dont wanna know! Or maybe i'll tell you the story! ;D

Just how new is EVE and why hasnt it got the kind of mass media hype that WoW has got/gets ?

It's what you would call a "sleeper"  ... i'm sure you are familiar with that term.

EVE was started in March 2003.. which is nice becuz the game has 3 years of refinement, culture, and technological advancement.  Along with a matured economy and community.