Software Guide

Andrew

• 1 month later...

Recently I've installed OpenOffice.org on my old PC, but it takes ages to load (I turned off the "preload at startup" option that supposedly boosts loading times 'cause it takes up 140+ megs of the total of 256 Mb memory, which is not an option really). I'm considering trying different office suites or, alternatively, independent programmes. Is LibreOffice any better than OOo in this respect? I'm also going to try AbiWord and Gnumeric too, since I don't use other office apps that much anyway.

I doubt libreoffice will solve memory/startup issues. Although I am using libreoffice on win7, and every linux distro will be using it as well. They should come out with another bugfix release in a week or two, so I'd wait until then before installing.

LibreOffice 3.3.2 Release Candidate 1 available. I guess you could try the RC if in a rush.

What OS are you using? Also, more specs on your hardware would help. Also what you plan on using old computer for (I assume not main computer?). There are minimal linux OS that work good on old computers, especially if you just want a web browser.

Can your old computer handle more ram (having 512mb ram would be great improvement)? You might be able to find other used ram in old computers. I know I got a bunch of old ram laying around. Some places still sell old stuff if you were to make an order. Around $20 for 256mb or 512mb ddr stick. You'd have to make sure exactly what you can us though.

I've tried abiword in the past, and I think for basic word processing it is really good (dunno about ram etc). Although if you are needing word processor/spreadsheet and other office stuff (sideshow etc), then using openoffice, even though a bit bloated would make compatibility with other operating systems that have openoffice installed better (instead of hoping that gnumeric spreadsheets work good in openoffice). Also the fact that you would have to learn other software.

In openoffice, to speed it up a bit:

say in writer: tools menu->options->java->disable it

That should help. There are other speed improvements (but I doubt would help that much) you can find in openoffice tutorials.

If just needing basic office programs, and assuming old computer hooked up to internet, you could use google docs. If that suited your need then you could install minimal linux OS such as lubuntu and just focus on having fast web browser to connect/use google docs.

Or use windows, but I assume it would be winxp, and that is not secure unless you had antivirus or whatever (which would use up way too much system resources).

I doubt libreoffice will solve memory/startup issues. Although I am using libreoffice on win7, and every linux distro will be using it as well. They should come out with another bugfix release in a week or two, so I'd wait until then before installing.

LibreOffice 3.3.2 Release Candidate 1 available. I guess you could try the RC if in a rush.

I've installed LibreOffice (3.3.1), and it seems to work a bit faster than OpenOffice.org (more on that below).

What OS are you using? Also, more specs on your hardware would help. Also what you plan on using old computer for (I assume not main computer?). There are minimal linux OS that work good on old computers, especially if you just want a web browser.

WinXP.

Can your old computer handle more ram (having 512mb ram would be great improvement)? You might be able to find other used ram in old computers. I know I got a bunch of old ram laying around. Some places still sell old stuff if you were to make an order. Around $20 for 256mb or 512mb ddr stick. You'd have to make sure exactly what you can us though.

That's a notebook, so I wouldn't like to bother with any kind of hardware enhancements right now.

I've tried abiword in the past, and I think for basic word processing it is really good (dunno about ram etc). Although if you are needing word processor/spreadsheet and other office stuff (sideshow etc), then using openoffice, even though a bit bloated would make compatibility with other operating systems that have openoffice installed better (instead of hoping that gnumeric spreadsheets work good in openoffice). Also the fact that you would have to learn other software.

I downloaded AbiWord and Gnumeric, but the fact that a bug in Gnumeric that prevents it from working with files that have non-English characters in their path is number one on the bug list discouraged me from using it. In this respect, OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice are both much more well tailored for use on a Russian language system.

In openoffice, to speed it up a bit:

say in writer: tools menu->options->java->disable it

That should help. There are other speed improvements (but I doubt would help that much) you can find in openoffice tutorials.

I've found out that reducing the size of the graphics cache (default is 20 Mb) in LibreOffice helps loading times quite a bit. I've also removed the components that I have no use for, leaving only Write and Calc.

I haven't noticed immediate performance improvements when I disabled Java (I tried that), but maybe I missed something, so I'll try that again. I'll look for the other tutorials you've mentioned, thanks :)

If just needing basic office programs, and assuming old computer hooked up to internet, you could use google docs. If that suited your need then you could install minimal linux OS such as lubuntu and just focus on having fast web browser to connect/use google docs.

Thank you for the advice, but unfortunately, that's not a very good option for me, as this PC doesn't stay connected all the time.

[Edit] Hmm, the tutorials I've found so far uniformly suggest increasing the graphics cache memory, which is kind of counter-intuitive (especially in this thread, where a user with only 128 Mb RAM claims performance increase). I'll give this a try, but I think avast! slows down things too.

• 5 weeks later...

I hate OpenOffice (Windows version) because it persistently installs under C:\Program Files\. No way to install in another drive. I have not tried Libre. I hope it is not the same. Anyway both lack a MS Publisher styled application which is a big drawback. Scribus is the only Open Source option left but still somewhat complicated for the non professional and lacking (or not properly working- e.g. pdf support) many features.

I added to very top of list:

Ninite - A custom installer for multiple software packages

It has a lot of good software listed that you choose from. I'm running installer now for software packages I have. Skips stuff I already have up to date, some software I have installed not up to date is getting updated.

It auto deselects all the crapware options found in installers. So think of it as an automated installer for stuff you probably have on PC. Especially if you just formatted computer and quickly want automated process to install your common software.

Here's an image of what it is doing on my computer now.

bXBTI.png

Oddly, since I installed firefox beta back in November it is still installing newer versions such as 4.0.1 beta. Havn't figured out how to disable that yet(didn't really try googling).

Even after it's installed everything, you can run the same installer in say a months time and it will check for new updates for software and get them. I think you can run the installer with windows scheduler to automate it even more.

Downloaded SonicStage Version 4.3, after finding my old Sony NW-E505 digital music player stashed in a cluttered drawer. At first, I couldn't find the original usb cable to charge it but after using the usb cable for the PS3 controller it charged fine. Listening to music set at ATRAC3plus (256 kbps) on the sony player seemed a lot sharper than any music I've been listening to on my ipod. Getting the sony minidisc player to work took a little more effort but after downloading the correct driver it synched perfectly with the SonicStage software.

• 1 month later...

After dowloading Ubuntu 11.04 I noticed it included a program called Ubuntu One. Basically, it a free "cloud" storage program that allows you to upload data and access it from any device connected to the internet. Itunes has a free app for it and after installing it I was able to listen to music on my itouch stored in the cloud. This program is also available to windows user as a beta version. . .

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOne/Windows

I've turned off the Java machine in LibreOffice to reduce strain on system resources (as was recommended in some tips I've found), but it (Java) keeps annoying me with notifications of updates that I have no intent on installing, and I've no idea how to turn 'em off. Because of this, I'm considering uninstalling Java altogether, as it is not being used by any other app of mine, but I'd like to make sure before I do so that LibreOffice isn't going to be affected. I suppose that since I turned Java off and only peripheral functionality in LibreOffice got disabled, it can be uninstalled without any problems, but maybe I'm missing something here? Ideas?

You should be able to uninstall java without it affecting libreoffice. There are a couple features you won't be able to use (some wizards and Base stuff). But otherwise calc/writer/presentation should have no problems.

• Upvote 1

Can you not trace the update program and get rid of it or remove something related from your registry?

Yes, opening up msconfig->tools tab->uncheck java.

Of course if you never ever use java and never want to use it (on a website that requires it for instance). Then uninstalling would work.

I'd like to point out that on winxp I have libreoffice 3.3.3 installed with no java. Writer gives errors(popups) that I click "ok" with several times then finishes loading. Calc shows no popups. Didn't try other software.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Recently I've tried the free editions of SoftMaker Office, and they generally produce a good impression. SoftMaker Office is a commercial office suite by a German company, which has released the 2006 and 2008 editions of their product for unlimited free personal use. You can download and register SoftMaker Office 2008 here, and SoftMaker Office 2006 download link is available from this page. The personal registration code you get for the 2008 edition also works with SoftMaker Office 2006 (you don't necessarily need the code in the 2006 edition, but the programmes will otherwise ask you to register every time you start them, although no other functionality limitations are present).

SoftMaker Office 2006 consists of TextMaker, which a word processor, and PlanMaker, a spreadsheet programme. SoftMaker Office 2008 also includes SoftMaker Presentations (a PowerPoint counterpart) and BasicMaker, a programming utility. The suite fully supports Microsoft Office and OpenDocument file formats, and also uses its own file formats by default. Both editions include interface translations into major European languages, spelling and grammar check modules, a translation dictionary, an equation editor, and additional fonts.

The major advantage of SoftMaker Office that makes it stand out lies in its speed. It doesn't consume lots of system resources, being able to run without noticeable slowdowns even on low-end machines. SoftMaker Office is also rather small in size (the 2006 edition installer is about 24 Mb in size, while the 2008 edition installer is below 60 Mb), retaining functional versatility without succumbing to feature bloat. An additional option is the ability to install the suite on a USB drive as a portable application.

Upcoming software releases:

VLC 2.0.0 RC1 recently released. Should be really nice.

Libreoffice 3.5.0 RC2 released, so should be a couple weeks and final version out.

Going to try and use DataCrow for a project to catalogue ~3000 physical items. The proprietary competitor costs ~$1200, and there are no funds to purchase it (I would not want to anyway and get stuck in constantly paying for the software). Money better spent on other things for the project. Hopefully datacrow is good enough for now.

http://www.datacrow.net/

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

I posted about the free edition of SoftMaker Office some time ago, and now they run a charity campaign:

Christmas comes early this year!

From now until December 24, you can download SoftMaker FreeOffice for Windows and Linux for free and help needy people at the same time: For every download, SoftMaker donates 10 Euro cents to charity and development projects around the world.

SoftMaker FreeOffice is a full-featured office suite for home and business use. And if you later decide you want even more features, you can switch to its commercial version, SoftMaker Office.

Spread the word! Tell friends and co-workers about our Load and Help 2012 campaign. We want to set a new record for donations this year!

Visit the Load and Help campaign page

Don't wanna make it look like an advertisement, but the SoftMaker office suite is really good quality software, and besides, it's free :)