Software Guide

Andrew

• 1 month later...

Depends on what type of screenshots.

F12 keyboard button will take screenshot of entire desktop and put to clipboard. ALT+F12 takes screenshot of current prorgam screen to clipboard (open up windows paint and paste).

Howie's Quick Screen Capture Tool was used at fed2k a lot back in the day. It can be found in the list of this thread.

There are newer programs that can auto upload to image websites etc.

Well, I was making a set of instructions for work and needed images to go along with them and prtscrn takes a pic of everything on both monitors - a little more than I wanted!  I ended up using it anyway.

Well, I was making a set of instructions for work and needed images to go along with them and prtscrn takes a pic of everything on both monitors - a little more than I wanted!  I ended up using it anyway.

ALT+print screen only takes image of the selected window.

I'm pretty sure I remember a printscreen program that would take it of what you selected (probably press a key and then do rectangle shape selection). Can't remember exactly which one it is. google is no help at the moment.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I installed Zimbra desktop on ubuntu 9.10.

50.9mb download, supposedly around 150mb installed (maybe 200mb).

It works good. They could have had better integrated start icon in applications menu instead of just desktop text file that you have to run to open it (maybe it will show up when I restart computer).

Also seems that you need to input some correct form of info before being able to use the software. So no inputting fake info just to see how it works (if someone figures this part out let me know).

I set up my gmail account. I had set to default auto sync, and then realized it would download all my gmail to my SSD, which I did not want. So I told it to sync manually, but it kept syncing. So I closed the program (x top right corner) but it kept downloading (seems it didn't stop the program). Went into system monitor and stopped 'java' which stopped the program. Opened program and it has stopped syncing. Hmm, I think clicking on 'refresh' on calendar area starts sync process again (same with send/receive in email section).

I added a .png file to the 'briefcase' and it easily opens the ssd benchmark screenshot I took.

Would be nice if you wanted an program to share info (calendar appointments, files, etc) with others who are synced with your database.

You can run the program, or run it from a web browser. Would be pretty cool to run this program in web browser, and in another tab be running other web based software. Makes sound in browser when an alarm for appointment is due, and changes text in tab to get your attention if you are currently focused on another tab. I assume getting email etc would do same thing.

EDIT:

I'm mostly impressed with how easy it was to install on linux, and that it appears to work good. Probably runs faster in chrome dev 6.0 than firefox 3.6.x, if you were wanting a dedicated web browser version.

Hopefully when new minor version is out at end of this month they support ubuntu 10.04 (have dedicated install for it). Currently they only have 6.06 and 8.04.

• 5 months later...

It had just occurred to me that I'm using WinRAR a lot as a file browser; the internal file viewer is especially useful for its simple interface and the ability to switch between ASCII and OEM. Can you recommend any freeware file browser with similar functions (i.e. archive viewer and a file viewer with the ASCII/OEM option)?

Yeah, I also use 7-zip, but its file browsing part isn't above average. There's FAR (haven't used it in a long time but it must be good), but it's got the Norton Commander-style DOS-based look, which I like in itself, but a Windows-like shell would be better.

I use 7-zip because it is free and opensource (file compression), but I don't think it's much good as a dedicated file browser.

I have been using 7zip for the last coupe of months on Windows. After some strange guy posted an 1,39GB file encrypted with 7zip it has been my default ZIP application. Besides that the whole idea of ZIP applications is beyond me. I hardly use them let alone as file-system browser.

Total Commander is unbeatable and is shareware not trial. Just an intro window reminding you to purchase it (no delays, no bothering you after, no limitations). Includes FTP client, tabbed panels. And it comes with tons of plugins almost all of which are freeware to do anything but making coffee! :

packers including 7zip and RPM,

open Linux partitions, Commodore 64, Amiga files, open/create ISOs, floppy images,

HTTP Smart browser to download files (like you do with FTP),

access Symbian based mobile devices (e.g. Nokia or Sony Ericsson phones), PocketPC (WinCE),

secure delete,

view practically every file like pdf, Office, files with highlighted syntax (ObjectPascal, C++, Fortran, Java, Visual Basic, HTML, etc), ...

http://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm

Actuyallty there are dozens of similar programs and some of them are freeware, like:

Double Commander which is inspired by Total Commander and compatible with TC's plugins. ;-)

GNU Midnight Commander

Install TC or DC and welcome a new world! Then you will wonder why people like to be punished by M***bloat's W. Explorer.

• Upvote 1

Added Calibre to sync e-books to my Sony Pocket Reader. I now prefer to use calibre over the Sony Reader software. A neat feature of this software is it's ability to download news from websites, convert the news into an ebook, and then sync it to a connected device.

Total Commander is unbeatable and is shareware not trial. Just an intro window reminding you to purchase it (no delays, no bothering you after, no limitations). Includes FTP client, tabbed panels. And it comes with tons of plugins almost all of which are freeware to do anything but making coffee! :

packers including 7zip and RPM,

open Linux partitions, Commodore 64, Amiga files, open/create ISOs, floppy images,

HTTP Smart browser to download files (like you do with FTP),

access Symbian based mobile devices (e.g. Nokia or Sony Ericsson phones), PocketPC (WinCE),

secure delete,

view practically every file like pdf, Office, files with highlighted syntax (ObjectPascal, C++, Fortran, Java, Visual Basic, HTML, etc), ...

http://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm

Actuyallty there are dozens of similar programs and some of them are freeware, like:

Double Commander which is inspired by Total Commander and compatible with TC's plugins. ;-)

GNU Midnight Commander

Install TC or DC and welcome a new world! Then you will wonder why people like to be punished by M***bloat's W. Explorer.

Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look :)

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

No idea if anyone might find it useful, but Dos Navigator is a functional, free, open-source orthodox file manager for DOS a la Norton Commander. Runs nicely under DOSBox, too :)

[Edit] The project's site links to an interesting article about Dos Navigator, as well as the history of orthodox file managers in general. Seems like a good read.

[Edit 2] Also worth mentioning is TiMidity++ which is a free high-quality MIDI player. Here you can download a package that already comes with free SoudFonts too, plus there is a selection of stand-alone free high-quality SoundFont packages as well.

[Edit 3] BTW, FAR Manager v1.75 is free. There's a wide variety of plug-ins too.

Edited by MrFlibble

Aware of them. This reminded me of Volcov Commander for DOS (A must for floppy booting DOS). Not freeware, but 4.99.08 alpha last available (5.0 never came out), can be tested for free. VC 4.99.08 is included within UBCD v3.4, as part of the general FreeDOS base package. (Source: wikipedia).