Software Guide

Andrew

Miranda 0.8 was released if anyone is using it still. Lots of new features.

Miranda IM v0.8.0 Released

Looks like they should have 0.8.1 bugfix release out in a week or two.

Sadly with me using ubuntu, I don't use it anymore, unless I'm on my winxp partition. Although I simply don't use IM at all, even on ubuntu (pidgin finally works for me!).

EDIT:

0.8.1 Miranda released. Bugs fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I'll be adding that to the list, as pdfcreator is opensource and does the same thing.

The website does say it supports 64 bit, but as far as I can tell there is only the one download, so it doesn't look like it is compiled any differently than the 32 bit version.

I tried installing in virtual winxp but got an error. I don't have any printers connected in winxp, so maybe that caused the error. But I'm not sure why a printer already needs to be installed in order to install a virtual printer.

McAfee false-positive glitch fells PCs worldwide

Don't use McAfee and don't update or you'll get blue screen.

I never noticed that problem.

Uninstall old version, and make sure not to use/keep settings from old install. EDIT: it should delete settings by default.

Maybe increasing your buffer time could help.

It happens with youtube videos, and large high quality videos?

You're video driver is up to date?

EDIT: Virtualbox had a major release (3.0) June 30, and July 10 released 3.0.2.

• 2 weeks later...

Umm, reinstall?

Download newest version, start installer, it should ask to uninstall old version. If you want to keep your old settings, they should be kept when uninstalled. When installing new version it will automatically have checked "delete old settings" you can uncheck that if you want.

There is no minor update patch or anything. Have to download full installer.

Umm, reinstall?

Download newest version, start installer, it should ask to uninstall old version. If you want to keep your old settings, they should be kept when uninstalled. When installing new version it will automatically have checked "delete old settings" you can uncheck that if you want.

There is no minor update patch or anything. Have to download full installer.

If you click on 'Help' there is the option of check for updates.

• 2 weeks later...

klite codec pack was updated.

speedfan updated

openoffice 3.1.1 release candidate. Small changelog. Final version release on August 27.

Scribus 1.3.5.1 released

2 years of work put into this release. So it is a major release.

Boxee is supposed to be good, but you have to sign up to get it which I don't like. Are you forced to stay signed in in order to use it? If not then why have to sign up? Are downloads for software available on regular software aggregation websites? I mentioned it in Multimedia operating system thread.

EDIT:

Added:

Malwarebytes - Malware remover

It did a good job of removing malware from friends computer. 104 found. Might not have to format.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't posted here for a while, but thought I'd pop in to recommend EasyBCD. I had a bit of trouble removing the GRUB bootloader from my hard drive after stupidly installing Ubuntu to a flash drive. To cut a long story short - this program can be used to reset the master boot record from inside Windows, so if you don't have your Vista disk (like I don't), you can still reset the MBR simply and effectively.

It's also got a lot of other useful features to customise the Vista MBR in other ways - I'm not going to mention them here though.

I installed ubuntu to a flash drive as well a month ago. It was weird that it installed MBR (grub) to the hard drive so that you needed to have flash drive plugged in, otherwise you get errors booting. So I learned my lesson and won't install ubuntu to flash drive, I now stick to using system->administration->"USB startup disk creator" to 'install' ubuntu to usb stick. There is no grub installation so no worries, and I can test or use ubuntu from usb stick on any computer. It's exactly like a livecd, but it's a liveusb.

• 1 month later...

Added:

LyX - document processor that encourages an approach to writing based on the structure of your documents (WYSIWYM)

Good for making large documents. Difficult to use because it is coding, but makes things easier once you get used to it. Very good for doing math and formulas. I've typed up a couple assignments that had math(economic) formulas, that was difficult to do in openoffice.

Installing to my ubuntu now (works on mac/windows etc). 250mb download, 500mb installed. That includes all the dependencies. The documentation is very good for LyX, as it is needed in order to figure out how to operate it.

paint.net had updated to new version 3.5

Sumatrapdf released version 1.0 yesterday. Lots of small fixes and according to author out of beta now.

Next openoffice release should be in January 2010

I installed ubuntu to a flash drive as well a month ago. It was weird that it installed MBR (grub) to the hard drive so that you needed to have flash drive plugged in, otherwise you get errors booting. So I learned my lesson and won't install ubuntu to flash drive, I now stick to using system->administration->"USB startup disk creator" to 'install' ubuntu to usb stick. There is no grub installation so no worries, and I can test or use ubuntu from usb stick on any computer. It's exactly like a livecd, but it's a liveusb.

Yeah, I tend to not bother with that method - UNetbootin is better for me, as it runs in Windows.

I've used it for testing all sorts of distros - Puppy, DSL and Backtrack, to name a few. It also has a handy feature which downloads the latest version for you, then installs it to your flash drive. It works with all the LiveCD images I've tried so far, but I'm sure there'll be some which don't want to work.

EDIT: Just remembered that it doesn't always download the latest image for you - in some cases it does, some it doesn't. Check the site for more information.

new minor version blender? they released 2.5, that's big news. it's a complete rewrite and looks better.

My bad.

Blender released 2.5 Alpha 0 November 24.

I think I meant Inkscape 0.47 as minor release (info found on blender page as well).

Firefox 3.6 beta 4 released today :)

Final supposed to be released in December I think.

EDIT:

61 Free Apps We're Most Thankful For

Decent list.

The OSSwin project: Open Source for Windows!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Openoffice 3.2 released.

Overview of changes

Some good changes to calc which I've been wanting. Plus some bug fixes I reported.

EDIT:

Via slashdot discussion on Document Management For Research With Annotation?

I've added Firefox extension Zotero which is a free, easy-to-use Firefox extension to help you collect, manage, and cite your research sources.

• 3 weeks later...