Software Guide

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

Openoffice 2.4 should be released in less than 24 hours (once they update website). Lots of fixes for it.

Firefox 2.0.0.13 has been released (couple of security things). Although firefox 3 is much better than firefox 2. I havn't switched to ff3 on windows yet, but on linux firefox 3 beta 4 is great.

ccleaner and k-lite codec pack were also recently updated.

Funny, if I switched to linux, I have no need for ccleaner, 2 firewalls (windows and sygate, and yes I need sygate since it notifies me of programs connecting a lot more than windows firewall), antivirus (think I'll be switching to avg again, since clamwin and antivir are now annoying), no need for antispyware (I don't use any but lots of other people do, ex. spybot). No need to defragment. I think I'll save the rest for when I create a new ubuntu thread in a couple weeks.

Also compiz now works perfectly on my computer. They appear to have fixed most of the problems for intel graphics cards. No slowdowns for video or anything, even when using cube or other eye candy :P

EDIT:

wow, openoffice website has changed its design.

EDIT:

2.4.0 has been officially released.

Just in beta form.

Currently at beta4

Beta 5 will be released March 31 or so. Beta 5 will be the last beta.

Mozilla announced that Firefox 3 will be released in June. If that is true then they have 2 months for RC. Must plan on releasing a lot of them.

EDIT:

Added

Scribus - open source professional page layout with a combination of "press-ready" output and new approaches to page layout.

Also Inkscape released a major version a couple days ago. The Release notes is ridiculously large.

So now there is a full amount of opensource programs available for windows/linux that can do everything needed for graphically inclined people.

EDIT:

Photoshop released a "free" online version of its software called Photoshop Express.

But be careful if you use it.

Adobe’s Photoshop Express Means Giving Adobe Your Photos

8. Use of Your Content.

1. Adobe does not claim ownership of Your Content. However, with respect to Your Content that you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of the Services, you grant Adobe a worldwide, royalty-free, nonexclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sublicensable license to use, distribute, derive revenue or other remuneration from, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform and publicly display such Content (in whole or in part) and to incorporate such Content into other Materials or works in any format or medium now known or later developed.

• 3 weeks later...

I stumbled upon this PSU configurator last night and although it is being updated for Duel,Quad core CPU's and PCI-E cards is still a  very nice little tool to gauge how much wattage you may need. Just click on start the calculator and choose which hardware comes close to what you have(until they finish updating the program).

• 4 weeks later...

So I've finally got fed up with avira antivir free edition popping up an advertisement every time the virus definitions update.

Doing a google search there is a way to disable this popup doing some changes in windows. Also a way to make the update quiet (no popup for that as well).

But for now too late, I think I'm going to try clamwin antivirus again. And if that fails back to avg free... The joys of choosing antivirus products.

The last time I get fed up with software (other than antivirus stuff) was with adobe pdf reader, and then I switched to foxit pdf reader and that was 3 or 4 years ago and I'm very happy with it. It was a waste of time trying to edit adobe to start faster.

Foxit pdf reader was recently updated (ok 1 month ago, but a couple days ago they updated it again with security updates) with many changes. One of these changes that looks interesting is the tabbed feature. So you can have lots of pdfs open in one foxit window (optional). This should be good as I sometimes dislike having 3 or 4 pdf windows open.

Sadly sumatra pdf has not been updated since new years day.

Added power supply calculator for now.

EDIT:

Speak of the devil... Sumatra pdf updated to 0.8.1

• 2 weeks later...

VLC 0.8.6h

Security updates:

* Updated GnuTLS and libgcrypt on Windows and Mac OS X (CVE-2008-1948,

CVE-2008-1949, CVE-2008-1950)

* Updated libxml2 on Windows and Mac OS X (CVE-2007-6284)

Goodies:

* Updated libebml and libmatroska on Mac OS X. Reliability improvements.

* Miscellaneous bugfixes in multiple modules and in libvlc

(ftp access, record access filter, video filters, RC interface,

playlist demuxer, IP networking, MPJPEG muxer, stream outputs)

* Improved support for MPEG2 content created by Final Cut Pro

* More reliable audio reception for MPEG TS streams

* Fixed a regression in 0.8.6g where usage of the snapshot feature could lead

to an unexpected application termination

* New Serbian translation

* Updated Romanian translation

K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 3.9.5

* Updated Media Player Classic to version 6.4.9.1 rev. 53

* Updated ffdshow to revision 1980

* Updated Cyberlink MPEG-2 decoder to version 8.1.0.1608

* Removed CoreAAC

* Added MONOGRAM AAC decoder version 0.9.5.0

* Removed CDDA Reader

* Updated x264VFW to revision 839

* Updated RealMedia components to version 6.0.14.806

* Updated MediaInfo Lite to version 0.7.7.1

* Minor changes

GIMP 2.4.6 - changelog

Opera 9.5 has been released.

http://www.opera.com/

Firefox 3.0 should be released in less than a week. Currently at RC3.

IE8 is still at beta.

Nice to see the browser war heating up. Hopefully Microsoft loses its majority.

EDIT:

Firefox 3.0 released Tuesday June 17

They currently have over 1 million pledges. World Record

I pledged twice to see if it remembered that I pledged, so the number is easily inflated, but still a large number. It will be fun to see the number of upgrades from Firefox 2 vs downloads of firefox 3. I'll be doing both. An upgrade in ubuntu, an upgrade in windows, a downloaded version for my usb stick.