Software Guide

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

added

InfraRecorder - Opensource CD/DVD burning software

From slashdot article points to CNET Open-source software rated: Ten alternatives you need

Actually had a 2 pieces of software I've not heard of one being an RSS reader (not interested) and the cd burning program.

Also while reading slashdot comments, picked up some links.

http://shsc.info/UsefulWindowsSoftware

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see this one anywhere here in the thread but this is also a nice little program(freeware)..

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3538.html  sort of like CPU-Z with alot more options and tweaks.

Discription.... Central Brain Identifier is designed to provide detailed recognition and obtaining the most complete extended information for all AMD processors. It recognizes more than 40 various models of the AMD processors. It shows not

only the general information about the processor, but also allows to determine its important technical features, such as processor core, core revision, a nominal processor frequency, the date of announce, an OPN number, the components of the PowerNow! Technology and also calculates an XP-Rating for the processors having a Model Number.

The benefits and unique advantages of CBId are the following:

- Complete and precise identification of the AMD processors.

- P-rating calculation and OPN determination.

- The real-time CPU frequency, voltage and temperature monitoring.

- An entering the processor the low power state of Stop Grant.

- On the fly FID transition for mobile AMD processors.

- Performance state tables searching and decoding.

- DRAM timing configuration of a huge number of chipsets.

- An ability to change the feature bits of the processor.

- Quick CPU name string modification.

FSB/DRAM frequency control for the nForce2 chipset on the fly.

- An advanced tuning of VIA V-Link bus speed parameters.

- An enhanced set of tweaks to optimize the performance of DRAM with the nForce2 chipset.

• 3 weeks later...

openoffice 2.3.1 was released sometime ago

New version of k-lite codec pack was released several days ago.

MSN messenger used to be a 20mb download. The current version is only 2.3mb download. It looks like they changed it to a web installer which is 100% crap. When I downloaded the installer it asked if I wanted a bunch of crap. I said no. Then I start the installer and it asks if I want the same crap again. NO.

It took about 10 minutes to look through my computer for other Windows live programs, then told me it was taking too long to do, then finally it started to download the program from inside the installer. Oddly my firewall is not blocking this from happening even though I have it set to block it because it was trying to connect to MS servers before it even started to search for MS products on my computer. No mention anywhere of how big the download is.

Awesome it is also installing a sign in assistant software I did not ask to install.

Great. I only wanted WLM installed, and it decided to install an installer, WLM and a sign in assistant.

I'm just downloading/installing it because someone on dailup will be needing WLM after computer is formatted, and downloading a 20mb file takes too long. Now they will be forced to use the web installer and try to download 20mb.

post-1194-12833239589396_thumb.png

post-1194-12833239589713_thumb.png

post-1194-12833239590126_thumb.png

post-1194-12833239590356_thumb.png

I like Irfanview, WAMP, Notepad++, FileZilla Client and Blender also a lot.

Irfanview: The best image viewing program. A lot copy, view and save options.

http://www.irfanview.com/

WAMP:

For testing and hosting your own website (Windows, Apache, MySQL, Php, Perl or Python)

http://www.wampserver.com/en/

Notepad++:

The best notepad upgrade. You can open multiple programming and scripting files with nice highlight.

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/nl/site.htm

FileZilla Client: A nice program to upload your files (FTP) and set permissions.

http://filezilla-project.org/

Blender: Free 3D program to create and render.

http://www.blender.org/

• 2 weeks later...

Was it always free?

I thought a couple years ago it wasn't freeware. Unless I'm mistaking it for something else that had ISO in the program name. Maybe it was ISO buster or something.

Glad it is now. Will add isoburner.

EDIT:

Not adding anydvd since it is only trialware.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to give credit to the paint.net developer for having high standard of ethics. He turned down $735,000 to sell 49% stake in it. When he turned that down the company offered him $30,000 a month if he would put a homepage link to a website in the installer (which people could uncheck. This is what most software comes with nowadays with toolbars and crap). He turned that down as well.

Then a shady company offered him $400,000 a month to have spyware install with paint.net.

Doesn't sound like ethics to me, more like pure profit.

$735,000 for half the company, and then $30,000 a month for a link. Could be me although no company is considering a takeover for a two year salary (bones income really) of one of it's employees.

If that would be the case I'll pay the CEO of HP two years salary in return of a 49% HP share.

Yes I'd agree he is waiting for larger offers, just like he said in his posts.

But a lot of other software startups gets the toolbars and stuff along with the program without selling part of the company. He choose not to put a toolbar/website link in and get paid $x/month. No different than winamp with all their deals in the installer, or ccleaner toolbar, or most other software. I think my logitech setpoint software came with yahoo toolbar (my mouse was not working so I was forced to install it when installing mouse software because for some reason using the keyboard was not able to deselect it).

I just hope some company (AOL/Yahoo) does not buy him out and then "kill" the product like they did with most of their other acquisitions (make it bloatware/adware).

I really don't understand the whole toolbar with software model, I guess it is more for people who don't know what it is and install anything and then have no idea how to get rid of it once it is installed (or think that it is "normal")

He works for Microsoft. :)

Think it indeed is to wait for a better offer. And like you mentioned he has connections with Microsoft. So this is probably sort of a informal or side project. He doesn't need the money right now.

Remember that even if he keeps Paint.net without additional software / toolbars that to is an economical decision. As a product without bundles software is often more interesting that one with additional software. (especially today)

Although I think ethics play a part to ;)

Maybe I missed it in this thread,but I haven't seen it yet...here's a very nice little benchmarking program.AMD N-BENCH V3.1. I've been messing with it for a few hours now,very nice proggy....

http://www.amdboard.com/amd_n-bench3.html

download is at the bottom of page and is very small. Here's some info and specs>>>

About N-Bench

N-Bench is a benchmark program that will measure the performance of your computer. Measurement is performed by "CPU Benchmark" which measures CPU performances, such as integer operation and a floating point arithmetic, and "3D Benchmark" which used the real-time display performance of 3D graphics as the base. The measurement results are displayed as the numerical values that comprise the "N-Bench Scores".

N-Bench Ver. 3.1 Features

N-Bench has the following features.

* New 3DCG engine based on Microsoft

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else looking forward to the next version of VLC?  I hope it plays Real Media files, because I use it for just about every other kind of video, although when I plays MP3s, it tends to be very jumpy.

The only other free software I really use is Firefox, but I don't know if I'd survive with out it, its that good.  Oh wait, I use ZoneAlarm and AVG too, which I've always used, they're great too.

• 2 weeks later...

I got hit with some pretty bad malware the other day, and found a recommendation for SuperAntiSpyware.  Ad-Aware and other similar programs found nothing, but this found about 150 threats on my computer, and removed them all.  I think Mahdi had some success with it as well.  Highly recommended.

http://www.superantispyware.com/