Software Guide

Andrew

Brilliant Andrew, now I dont even have to hunt for those links, I was looking to install it sometime soon !

Yes, Autoruns lets you disable those items on-the-fly. Also allows re-enabling them. You can save the settings applied and quickly reapply or move the same settings from comp to comp !

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced Privoxy (which is still listed in the freeware list file in first post) because it seems out of date (2004) with

PeerGuardian 2 - Blocks IP addresses of known ads, spyware, P2P, etc

When using it it for some reason blocked normal websites (such as environment canada and slashdot), but as soon as you notice it blocking a website that is not a bad one (it will alert you when it blocks IP address), you can tell it to permanently allow that IP address so you don't have that problem again.

Good Manual for it, in case you have any questions or want to see what it is like.

I don't think anyone has added Google Desktop.  It's a very good program, it combines the searching of Google into your Desktop, and you add diffrent parts to it, such as you Gmail email, or Google Talk, or even Maps and the Stock Market. :P And you can develop your own sidebars for it as well.

P.S. The link goes to the Google desktop UK site, but I can't see the difference.

- Vidi

Will put google destkop near Desktop Sidebar under Desktop category. :)

@ Gryphon

Apparently spywareblaster blocks spyware without even needing to be running in the background or anything. Might want to check that one out. I use it with ad-ware and no spyware for me (but then I use firefox etc, so I doubt I would get any other than when I rarely use IE).

You could switch the quicktime to the klite mega codec, or just get the quicktime alternative software (same website) if your quicktime is the basic version with the annoying get quicktime pro ad at every startup (and adverts if you simply open quicktime up). And if you don't like it you can easily uninstall it and install quicktime again.

Here's my program list (but its missing foxit, sysinternals, miranda, programs that dont auto put shortcuts to there). I didn't format my computer this spring like I usually do so it is more cluttered with programs I wouldn't necessarily install after a format (ie pirated ones).

Like how I got MS office, Corel office suite, OOo ? Had to have Corel as some profs/students use corel which the other programs cannot open properly.

Click for biggie (no pops)

programs3ly.th.png

The reason I want to ditch Spybot is because in the 2 years I am using it. . . it helped me protect against 1, read one URL redirect attack which was also picked up by Symantec. So I won't be using any anti-spyware if it was up to me.

I like Sygate btw. Think it's one of the best Firewalls to use.

Most things in my start menu are client tools for server software like you might have noticed.

Personally I try to stay away from Google products as much as I can.

• 2 months later...

Lots of software has been updated since I last posted.

Openoffice is now at 2.0.3, go to main page for quick list of improvements (not just security fixes)

utorrent is now 1.6, shitload of updates like usual.

k-lite codec now has betas up for there next release.

GIMP was updated first of June.

7-zip was updated a while back.

A couple other programs were updated.

I think I'm gonna add Google Earth, as the beta 4 is really good, and I would say best satellite program out there (I tried nasa worldwind before google earth was ever released, but it didn't work with my graphics card, google earth works fine)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Added

Exact Audio Copy - Great program for ripping audio cds into high quality files

Question:

yousendit.com has decreased file size from 600 to 100 mb in size (bait and switch :P). Anyone know of a similar service that allows files around 400 mb? My ISP blocks everything, so I can only get certain files through http from friends.

Free Download Manager has been updated to version 2.1

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

What's new in version 2.1 build 483:

[+] Opinions

[+] Caching of disk write operations

[+] Option to restart downloading when speed is too low

[+] Scheduler: restrain all downloads

[+] Interface improvements

[+] Option to disable modification of Internet Explorer's user-agent string

[+] rapidshare.de is supported now

[*] Improved integration with Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers

[*] The moving download to the new group will move its file also

[-] Downloads was launched automatically if added via Drop box even if not needed

[-] Restart more than one downloads worked incorrectly sometimes

[-] Bug of work with frames in HTML Spider

[-] Some general bugfixes

New version of Free Download Manager is available in the Download section.

Note for Firefox users. In order to use the new browser monitoring feature of Free Download Manager you should uninstall FlashGot extension first.

I'm not sure what the firefox flashgot extension thing is about. Will inform when I find out after I'm done downloading Xubuntu 6.06.1 with FDM, then will update the software. Ubuntu ISO updates were released so people wouldn't download 6.06 and then have to download a shitload of updates after installation. Hope they keep this up. Great for people who may not have high speed internet all the time.

For those who have auto windows update disabled, there are lots of security updates, one of which department of homeland security is advising people get immediately. :O

I'm thinking I should update WGA (I have it set to not show the update yet windows update is always saying I should show it and update...), because I think the newer one doesnt phone home every day like the one I have installed. Good thing I got a firewall blocking it from phoning home. And my windows is Genuine, so it's kinda sad that I want to disable it from some of the bad stories I've heard about it.

EDIT:

I think it was Re-erjin999 that said he was gonna use gparted for work.

Headsup that it has been updated.

I noticed while checking distrowatch.com which is great to keep up to date on what linux OS are released.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lately I have been using

http://www.filehippo.com/

To check on updated software. Has a good easy to read list on main page of popular software. (missing GIMP, but I guess that is only updated once a year).

ooooo, new google earth beta! It has gotten a lot better since the beta 4 release. Runs really fast now. If you are using beta 3, I would recommend updating.

EDIT:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm

Nice list of "the best of" software.

• 2 weeks later...

Added

Unlocker - A tool to delete files that give you the "Cannot delete file" error etc

Just used it to delete some folders/files that my OS installs by itself whenever it feels like that I never use (came preinstalled when I bought it). No way to uninstall them, and they were being used by windows login...

EDIT:

After deleting the folders/files and rebooting, the folders showed back up (like usual), but no files in them. Using CCleaner, it found 50 registry issues with those deleted files, so I got rid of those. :)