what hardware are you going to buy in 2006...?

it's almost exactly one year after the start of the hardware 2005 thread and I thought a new one for 2006 would be nice.

there will be a lot new stuf out there this year, so maybe you are going for any upgrades or even a new system or some smaller hardware stuff. if so, here's the right place to discuss them.

as for me I don't know yet. I don't have a gaming pc since 2 or 3 months and starting to miss it. I haven't that much time for gaming anymore but sometimes it would be nice to play some new / old games so maybe I'm going to build a new pc this year. I don't know yet when I got enough money for this (some other projects are more important) so I can't tell you what it's going to be in detail, because the new AMD socket AM2 will reach the consumers by end of the first quarter in 2006 and I don't know how long it will take till there are good mainboards and how much the cpus on the new socket will cost.

but the pc will be about 2000

gryphon has still saved the money he was going to use last year for a Apple mini. . roumor has it Apple might be having an new laptop any day. . atleast I hope they do coss I need a new one. :P

And a new server .. . . :-

hehe gryphon...

I don't like apple very much. actually I'm very happy with my 3 month young new sony vaio tx1xp laptop. it's awesome. do you know it? so small, lightweight, good battery life, nice resolution and so on. very expensive though (review in english: http://trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?page=4430 ). but it's my business laptop and I travel a lot since 4 months, so that's ok...

what server do you wanna get?

I got a MX1000 too. it has the best shape ever, fits perfect. though I might get another one when I build a new gaming pc, because it's too heavy for fast movement in multiplayer fps.

what monitor are you looking for? crt or tft? which size? price range?

maybe we can give you some advice then.

I meant what hardware will be in the server. or: what do you use it for? private use or do you need it for business reasons?

I just ordered an out of stock opteron 146 for socket 939. I'm excited if I will really get it. they say a new delivery is expected on jan 18th. so let#s see. amd stopped shipping them but maybe they really get that restock delivery. if I get it, I will build a gaming pc based on socket 939 and ddr1 - but if I don't get that cpu I will wait for the new AM2 socket with ddr2.

I meant what hardware will be in the server. or: what do you use it for? private use or do you need it for business reasons?

For business uses we just got 2 new PowerEdge 2800's. And must say I like them sofar.

The new one I need will replace my current email servers (a resonably old Compaq Alpha server and a 2 year old AMD), so it's use is mostly private and partially for others.

It's that Dell or an HP, havn't decided yet. And I need to buy it somewhere around the end of Feb begin March. Only fixed things are dual-CPU / non dual-core, and a minimun of 180gig of RAID 5.

Just upgraded my RAM. Now I have 1gb of it. Still stuck with an FX5200 though.

Why not just buy this one ?

yeah that dell machine is wicked. but who needs that much gfx power? and imagine how much it will cost. I would never use an overclocked intel (heat, power) in my gaming system but unfortunately dell still goes for intel only.

anyway I built my pcs myself, but the case looks really awesome. I would like to have an unique painting on mine. my next case will probably be a decent lian li case - totally black, no flashing lights and modding stuff.

anyway I built my pcs myself, but the case looks really awesome. I would like to have an unique painting on mine. my next case will probably be a decent lian li case - totally black, no flashing lights and modding stuff.

I used to do the same, although with not much time on your hands and don't wanting the fuss of maintaining individual warenty companies you stop doing that and just guy them.

I got a MX1000 too. it has the best shape ever, fits perfect. though I might get another one when I build a new gaming pc, because it's too heavy for fast movement in multiplayer fps.

It is a bit heavy, so I just adjusted the sensitivity. Works fine for me, in most cases. The rechargeable dock is one of the best features, imo.
what monitor are you looking for? crt or tft? which size? price range?

maybe we can give you some advice then.

Basically a flat panel LCD, with decent refresh rate, can be anywhere from 17-19'' and I'd rather not spend more than $300.

I used to do the same, although with not much time on your hands and don't wanting the fuss of maintaining individual warenty companies you stop doing that and just guy them.

it depends on what you need in my opinion. I would never build a laptop myself. And I guess I wouldn't build a server myself (warranty reasons).

but I still do it for my private "fun-pcs" for gaming & mutlimedia and probably always will. first of all because it's cheaper, second I know every piece that's in it, third I'll never find a system which is already build like I would do it, because I always use to overclock my gaming machines, so I need especially memory x or especially mainboard y. and I never use the default coolers on gfx cards or cpus in these pcs.

saw the reports of MacWorld last night before going to bed. In all hounesty.. .they have benchmarks claiming an Intell CPU is faster then the current G5 Apple computer. So they switch to Intell chips.

(unfortunately some junior webdesigner with Apple forgot to alter the page of the PowerMac's which has screenshots claiming otherwise)

And hounest. I'd love to buy a Mac laptop. Athough if it's gon'na cost me more then roughly 1200 Euro's the better have a good reason to spend that money other then a great design.

The brand is great, although the iPod didn't sell that good because it was high priced. If they wan'na appeal to people they should reinvent the MacMini and iBook for 200 less.

So think gryphon is gon'na give his HP dealera callfor a new laptop this year. ..

in my opinion apple sucks. and going with intel proves it even more. their products aren't that good - their marketing is. that's all. the ipod compared to e.g. the cowon iaudio x5l sucks.

except for the touchpad-wheel. but if you compare sound quality, battery life (the iaudio L version got about 20-25 hours playtime MORE than the ipod before you need to recharge, prices (!), possibilities in the menu, and the independency from exchange-software the ipod is worlds behind. but it is brought to public with good marketing and this leads to many people buying it. it was the same with microsoft back then: the os itself was crap and still is compared to stable operating systems like openbsd or solaris - but microsoft managed to sell its product to public very well years ago and now almost the whole world needs windows for special applications only available for windows or games or whatever stuff which won't run on other os and can't be emulated.

if you go for a HP laptop, you get some bonus points on my "people that I like"-list just for not buying apple  ;D  ;)

(of course that list doesn't exist, but I'll make an imaginary one just to put you on then  ::) )

it was the same with microsoft back then: the os itself was crap and still is compared to stable operating systems like openbsd or solaris

Saying something is carp is always easy. Both for Apple products and for Microsoft products. Microsoft didn't sell so good back then and still at present because of just good marketing. And *NIX systems aren't so good as people claim they are. Apple may not be so good, but they do know how to design a nice computer for the living room compared to a HP media center PC. Next to that OSX is the most commenly sold *NIX style OS to the general public.

Saying something sucks always reflects more upon the persone who claims it and on their ability to handle it then on the product itself. As any OS is as good as the technician / person operating it. We can go on saying somehting is good, sucks or better then something else. But in the end I think they all "suck" just as much.

marketing has always been good at highlighting the bad aspects of the other product and overhyping their own good side. Just because it's different doesn't mean it sucks. And just because the technology is inferior doesn't mean the end-product is.

thing is: whatever apple product you pick, for the same price (most of the time for even less) you get a better product on the market. as for the design: I don't like this white stuff design. I'm all black or black/silver - yet another reason why I dislike apple.

OSX as opperating system. It's price of about 80 Dollars and and has a UNIX (BSD) foundation which make it cheaper then Microsoft Windows (about 400 Dollar cheaper) and unless most Linux distributions it's easier to addapt to. Won't even start on how programs are installed on the OS which is the best way if you ask me you can install software.

Apple's Bonjour application is free and one only seen with Novell at the moment (I think that is :-[ and not counting cups for *NIX as it's just usefull for printer broadcasts). The moment Microsoft will offer it (for free hopefully) in Windows will be the day no one needs to use UPnP's limited abilities. And Xsan is way easier to setup then the Novell NSS or Windows NAS clusters. Not to mention the price of a Windows Storage server.

If you ever have worked for or with designers, graphical or motion picture wise you will notice how unknowledgeable they are with computers . . .they can create great things with Apple machines and have a natural ability to crash the best Windows PC they even toutch.

Don't get me wrong. The reason I am not using a Mac is they are overpriced, and not compatible enough for my current needs. And I prefer black to, but a product's collor is hardly an valid reason to claim the product a dis success ;)