what hardware are you going to buy in 2006...?

I was just talking about the hardware, not including the OSX. but actually I don't like that too - but I can't say it's not good. that's why I only meant the hardware.

the color thing was suggested as a reply to your statement that apple knows how to design a computer for the living room. but the best size, weight and functionality is useless if your whole living room has black "hardware" like a black tv, black receiver, black soundsystem... - and they only build it in white (actually I have never seen a white living room. in most cases it's either black or silver - I mean the devices, not the chairs, walls, tables ;) )

I worked with designers. that's what my apprenticeship was all about: marketing, advertisement, mailings, design... though my job was to sell the stuff to the customers (in my case porsche germany & shell drive germany) and not design it but I had to work with the art designers all day long. most of them prefered a mac but they also admitted that nowadays a pc with windows does the job the same way too without problems. except for some very special applications. the art designers who did digital design worked with maya & 3dmax on high powered windows machines.

but you are right: once apple was the best choice for these applications but in the meantime a good and stable windows pc can do the job as well - some things better than the mac, some things worse. the important creative directors & art designers had both by the way  ;D

the main reasons why I dislike apple is because: they are heavily overpriced. and they always want to make you believe that their product is the best thing ehich ever happened to you - and that's not true. like the intel benchmark thing you posted earlier today. it's basically their policies and market behaviour which I don't like, not so much the products themselves, some of them are cool like the mac mini e.g. (if they were black  ;D )

about designers. . I stumbled into one the other week. young interrior decorator creating living room layouts and stuff on his wonderfull powerfull MacG5. . the first thing he did before booting his program  .. start a Windows 2k emulator to run it :P

about the hardare. You know my HP laptop has a chipset created by the main Aplha supplier next to IBM who supplies Apple. I think it's a shame apple uses RISC / Aplha CPU's (which PowerPC is in a way) without the great options that platform provides. If you ever have worked with an Aplha server you know that you can do anything with the hardware. Really anything. Even with a fried CPU you can login to the motherboard and get diagnostics from it. Not many X68 based server s have that option. And unfortunately Apple didn't use it to.

My point was. . although it might seem inferiour.. . and without cash from Microsoft which gave Apple it's current right to live after almost going broke a few years back. . Apple does have a product line which can't be denied and pulled off as inferior or crap (isn't iTunes the best online seller of music ?). Their hardware is overpriced I agree .. . but if the creators of Southpark use it for main storage  .. it must be worth something ;)

(just kidding ofcourse ;) )

okay, maybe I should have explained what I meant a bit better. of course apple has a product line which can't be denied and pulled off as crap. apple is crap to me in my eyes because of the things I already said: heavy overpricing and ofter overrating their own products though there could still be a lot of improvement. like the example you mentioned (quote: "I think it's a shame apple uses RISC / Aplha CPU's (which PowerPC is in a way) without the great options that platform provides." ). I was basically speaking of their policies and their marketing behaviour.

anyway to get back to topic: I'm currently reading lots of reviews and message board posts about different hardware. though I still don't even know what's it gonna be for me this time. I'm still hoping to get that 146 opteron though I believe it won't ship due to amd's halted production of these awesome 939 versions and that this dealer won't get another delivery though he claims to. prices on ebay are very high unfortunately and I'm not willing to spend an extra 100

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought a joystick.Logitec freedom 2.4

and a new mouse a Logitec  MX510 + a steelpad S&S.

Have to learn to play all over again.hehe

With this mouse it has to improve.

Else I would like to upgrade my machine with motherboard,prossesor,videocard,soundcard and RAM.

Cybocommaner

Well, I was mistaken in saying I'm not in the market for a new laptop, someone made a good offer for my AVERATEC, and since it fits their needs way better than mine, they're getting it.  So I have about $800-$900 to sink into a new laptop.  looking at 12"-14" with decent (at least x200M level) graphics, preferably 1GB of RAM, and a fairly powerful CPU.  It will be used for Java programming, standard office-style work, and some light gaming (eg UT2004, Generals, maybe CS:Source).  I can get a Compaq v2000z for about $850 (thanks to APP discount) with 60GB 5400RPM HD, AMD Turion ML-37 (2.0GHz) 64-bit processor, 1GB of DDR400 RAM, 128MB (32MB dedicated/96MB shared) ATi x200M, wireless a/b/g and bluetooth, 14.0" Brightview WXGA, and 12-cell battery.  Not a bad computer, though if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open.

• 3 weeks later...

at work I have a couple of SC430's (it's little brother). They work ok although we have another then default Adaptec SCSI controler in them.

The one I expect Monday should come with a 2k3 CD .. another one to use under my coffee mug :P

nice "toy" gryphon  ;)

damn, I feel the growing need to do some gaming but I can't run any game I'd like to play on my business notebook. I want a new gaming pc, but this will still take some time  :(

Whats wrong with the defualt SCSI controller ? Is there a particular issue with them ?

It doesn't support all RAID types and is slow. (ok not so slow mayby :P ;) )

I spend just under an hour with our Dell contact, after that they mentioned the biger model did have a card which supported our RAID needs. .they could sell us just that card for 70 Euro's. Storeprice 460 Euro. We orderd 3 of them and are now using 2 in our own desktops together with a couple a crashed SCSI320 74 gig disk from our email server.

(crashed is one defect in the array on that disk, after that they get replaced. So non hardware defects just a RAID glitch)

Really, call your Dell support guy and ask for it. You gon'ne love what they send you for 70 Euro's. :)

I can't erjin...

1.) I don't have any old stuff around here any more so I'd have to spend money for old hardware. money I don't have right now because I save it for a lot of things (e.g. a new pc in autumn/winter)

2.) I don't have time for gaming at all. I just want to... but I couldn't even if I had the pc for it. I have to do a lot of work and additionally I'm currently drawing/writing the plans to build a company with a friend of mine in spring/summer 2007.

All work and no play :P

unfortunately gaming is very time-consuming.

Careful, your sounding like a grown up !

really? maybe I am... I'm going to turn 24 in 25 days, I'm one step closer to the "30-years tragedy-mark" then  ::)

hey... release date for AM2 is official: it's in june, to be precise it's the 06/06/06 - very funny date, I hope muslims won't start riots about it  ;D

• 1 month later...

I'm becoming unsure about the new amd socket... because the new intel architecture for their conroe cpus looks really nice. very low power consumption, a lot of power and even their pricing is absolutely nice...

there's a new 7xxx geforce which will replace the 6600gt.

I'm not talking about the new expensive 7900GT and GTX, it should be 7300 or 7600... take a look and also compare prices, maybe it's woth it instead of buying a 6600gt now. it's a good card but why don't get a newer model if it maybe has the same price but more power.

Nice, check out Toms Hardware to find the best make.

I got the Leadtek Winfast one :P

what happened to the old "I will not spend more money" by the way ?

sorry for not replying somtimes i forget about some posts i make...

well erjin check my new openion (i will not lag at bf2)  >:(

vek the 7000 series is not the same price as the 6000 seiers and if u would give me direct links

to prove that i will look in it but i dont shop from the net llike u guys do i live in the desert

with cammels remeber?  i have to drive hours to check on my hardware provider who  would kindly

check  the local market  to see what is there,  so its hard for them to choose the makers or the lastest edtions if u know what i mean.... i know its hard  for u guys to imagin but

its just the way it is...welcom to africa my freinds