D2TM - DEMO 1

stefanhendriks

FPS is still an issue when you have more than a dozen units (particularly harvesters). Looks like pathfinding is a major problem, still.

That said, it runs pretty beautifully with just a few units.

With an AMD Athlon Mobile 3000, 768MB RAM, Win XP Home... FPS dropped as low as 4 with a decent sized base and army moving about.

the pathfinding is not even being worked on yet, it still uses the old pathfinding code found in the previous versions.

Also CPU eating is the alpha blending used, if i don't use it for units etc, it will run faster on older computers. Perhaps i might add such an option..

allright.. avi then :P

But I does support the ability to open the data files and inject new graphics instead of the old right (for making a completly freeware D2TM version).

Does it/will you add support for text string editing (chaning unit names, mission breefings etc.) so the game may be translated?

"Also CPU eating is the alpha blending used, if i don't use it for units etc, it will run faster on older computers."

Would it be possible to blend only units and structures that are actually onscreen?

I ask because the number of units and so forth being viewed has no noticeable effect on FPS (but the total number of moving units, particularly stuck and confused units does).

i think the path finder is the biggest cpu hog. If drawing units is not, then it will not matter for the alpha blending. I already do checks to draw units who are only visible on your screen ofcourse ;)

in the future i might add stuff to make the game more editable text-wise. Ie, you can already create your own briefings for the mentats... (check out the briefings directory)

While DII does have concrete beige for its sidebars, its separate building UI is almost all gold; moreover, the grey interface is all very well for four simple buttons in a somewhat old game, but a little offputting for a larger UI. I might try darkening the colours slightly- juxtaposition with the top bar has alerted me to how bright the sidebar is. I'll work on converting them.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried the demo and it's really cool. However I have a gameplay issue because when I move the mouse to the border ingame to move the view around then it scrolls very fast in that direction.

Also I wonder will there be a multiplayer online mode?

Anyway keep up the good work!