c:\

hi:  why driver c:  is the smallest driver in all pc s??

my driver f:  is 27 gb  but  driver  c:  is only 8gb !!!

_ shouldnt be the other way?? since all the programs are installed on it?

_ should i allwayes choose to install big game on f:?  would that help

saving space?? and if i did would the games work normaly? or they will

be slower since they are not on system driver..best  reguards

About the size of your drives. You can set them yourself when you install Windows or put in an exra harddisk.

If you have 2 hard drives. (ie. not just 2 partitions C and F on one disk but 2 disks ech one partition) it's faster to install games on the F partition. If you have just one harddrive you probably won't notice the difference.

In your case I'd say install everything on the F drive to keep your C from filling up.

ok. thank you. i have 1 hard disc 80 gb.. splited to 4  partetions  but f is the beguest

anyway when ever i try to  resise c: it setup wont accept because its a system driver and i

can change it.. thats the message i get// anyway installing on f; is a  good thing as long

as it wont effect games preformence

It shouldnt make a difference if you install it to F:

The way I have my HD set up:-

C: = 2.5GB  <=- Only Docs and setings folder and Windows Dir. My Docs moved to F: drive. Most extra files stripped out and moved to D:

D: = 40GB  <=- Backup HD images of C: and copy of WinXP on HD for easy access. Also things taken from C: get put here.

E: = 70GB  <=- Program files folder moved here. All references to C:program files changed in registry to point to E:program files.

F: = 150GB  <=- Backups HD, contains backup (uninstalled version) of every program I ever use on my computer, and many I havent used, but might. Also contains my music, my docs, my pics, my eBooks, and my downloaded programs. Programs backed up includew windows.iso and office.iso, as well as many other full CDs.

This setup means I can install a program on my computer, into the E: programs disk, and know that if it is rubbish I can delete the folder and use an older disk image to get the registry and C:windows dir back to its normal state. The small size of the C: drive meansimaging is fast.

The C: drive only ever takes up 1.3GBs at max, and minimum is about 600Megs.

I manage to have an excellent level of up time with this and would recommend it to people like yourself, spizo, who end up reinstalling often. In fact, I would recommend it to most people.

I have two hard drives, so a hard disk failure should not be toooooo bad. Ideally, the images would be ona server somewhere, that is itself backed up, but I havent got there yet. :P

I always set c: as the smallest partition. usually 7,5gb to 20gb depending on the hdd inside and whether games will be installed. I use c: for windows, programms (and games if setting partitions on a gaming pc). nothing else. so if it crashes (which fortunately only happened once - but it was my fault) there is no data loss.

I keep all the important data I need almost every day on d: which is my data partition. this is also where all downloads go and depending on the hdd's size it also has space for music and stuff.

the rest of my data is stored external: 2x200gb for the data I don't need everyday and 30gb on my mp3 player. and some stuff I also burn to dvd or cd as a second or even third backup

ok. thank you. i have 1 hard disc 80 gb.. splited to 4  partetions

with Windows own partition tools you can never resize the root partition. You can do it with Norton Partition Magic although I highly urge you not to do it unless you know what you are doing and don't have important stuff on it.

Why don't create 2 partitions, one your current C drive, the other all other space combined ?

Personally I always use the whole local drive as one disk ©, install Windows, programs and everything on it. All data and email is stored on network drives.

no i dont want to change anything.. i dont know haw actuly an i will end up wiith a dead hard disc.  i just wanted to know why  c: is allwayes the smallest driver.. and if its

ok to install games files on f:  i was just scared that installing the games on f:  would

make them lag or somthing  because of the memory pageing thing.. but its ok  ill move them to f:

my pc is actuly like an xbox  there is nothing on it but games which is my only activity on the computer. best reguardes

• 3 weeks later...

partition magic is a good one..

Partitioning is not that difficult in windows...

but once created a partition, you cannot resize it (as erjin said,

except if you move all data to an other disk, and then delete the partition, and create * new partitions...

• 3 weeks later...

but once created a partition, you cannot resize it (as erjin said,

except if you move all data to an other disk, and then delete the partition, and create * new partitions...

Well, with Partition Magic is this still possible (and even more).