What FPS should I get first?

Procyon

www.gamerankings.com will help allot

Although in my own opinion:

- I won't recommand doom3, it has a lack of story, get's kinda boring after a few hours (always the same), and the multiplayer isn't good at all

- I won't recommand quake4 either, it hasn't got a innovative single player... and the multiplayer is just a mix of some Q3 and Q2 stuff.

- Stalker will probably be good, but it isn't out yet.

- FEAR is told to be good, altough i don't like it, i recommand it. (but u must be able to play scary games ;))

- Farcry is good, but it is getting pretty 'old' and the multiplayer isn't perfect.

- Call of Duty 2 is good, I'm a huge fan of CoD1. But I don't like the second one, many other people do like CoD2.

- The chronicals of the riddick got to be very good (singe player). Never played it myself

- Battlefield2 should have a very strong multiplayer, but itz single player is really bad.

- Brother in Arms, if you like squad control in a world war II game

- SWAT4, altough i wouldn't recommand this one either

- Serious Sam II, if u like mindless shooting

- Pariah, Area51, First to Fight and Bet on Soldier i wouldn't recommand at all.

But if I was you, I should but FEAR (or CoD2)

(srry i gotta disagree with you about doom3 gunwounds... they don't really call doom3 a masterpiece... ok, it has enormious graphics.. but the gameplay isn't reall good, check more reviews before u judgeĀ  :))

Chronicles of ridick is a great game, amazing graphics, and gameplay, but the best part about it is it sells at bargain prices $14.99 US. Far cry is a great game too. I would recommend buying both of them, and it will cost you less than the price of one game. ( www.amazon.com )

CHronicles of Riddick was a fun as hell game if you're into the Pitch Black universe. Hell, even if you're not you can still get a kick out of lurking in the shadows with purple vision and snapping the guy's neck while shooting the other guy while he looks around frantically in the shadows. Also, the game was exceptional for being a movie-to-game make.

I personally recommend Battlefield 2 because of its deep multiplayer tactics and strategy, where shooting the first guy you see is rarely the best way to go. I remember playing on Mahtuur City or whatever it's called, and I was laying on the ground overlooking the flag base because I felt like messing around, and I could've shot the first guy I saw who charged after the flag, but I waited until 3 of his buddies came and took all 4 out with a c4 charge I had on the flag. Oh the joys of watching 4 bodies fly past you.

Damn, I'll have to second that for BF2. Man when you finally use the damn Claymores the right way,(wich I finally have) they just kick all kinds of ass. It's now about 5am, and I still want to play more but,....Homer sleep now. No great storyline to it, but damn its intense. I know they labeled it a shooter but it's got way more strategy to it than just shooting anything that moves.

i could recomend Tribes Vengeance. It should be inexpensive. From what i've seen it has a reasonable scifi single player story line. The game wasn't realy a hit when it came out, but that was due to a marketing error made by vivendi (the guys behind fear). For the most part us Tribers are really into Tactical Team FPS games. Tribes2 is an excellent TTFPS. The weapons and vehicles was designed to make team play immensely powerfull. So obviously when Tribes Vengeance came out our type of gamer got it first and started posting bad and dissapointed reviews. i personally cannot but hate games like quake, fear and doom. So when Vengeance was done in the same style as all the common FPS games, but advertised as a successor to Tribes2 it ended in the wrong market, was flung out in disgust and thus became one of vivendi's biggest failures. They learned from their mistake, jugeing by the marketing of fear. i don't even have to touch that game to know that i will hate it.

Most First Person shooter stories are lame. HL2 barely had one, go rescue a guy, the ending gave you no information, the start gave you no background information, it just felt like a lack of story. Gameplay was pretty good though. The ending in HL2 is just too abrabt it's like you've just played half a game. The middle, and missed the start and end.

Quake 4, while it didn't really have any particular story, at least you know what you were there for. It's just a pretty standard shooter something like HL2, needs a beefier system to run on, but not as beefy as Doom 3. The best parts are probably the graphics, like when the ship is landing and some of the walker enemies. Really seems similar to HL2 gameplay wise. With shooting with stops for riding some vehicle and then going back to shooting.

That means that you are part of the story through the game... That's why they don't have a "real" storyline. That's why I like the stories of FPS, especially the good storylines like the ones of HL series.

HL2 has no background story (except of what you know from HL1), because you are not supposed to know what happened through 10 years.

• 3 weeks later...