New Dune Series

Mentat_one

OK, here are some GREAT news I just heard from my boss. Brian Herbert is planning a new Dune series after books 7 & 8. It will be called "Beyond the Dunes".

This new series will focus on other stories that take place within the same timeframe of the original Dune.

It will tell the stories of House Vernius, the Guild, the Bene Gesserit, the Bene Tleilax, the Harkonnens and others. There will also be a book from that series which will tell the stories of young Paul Muad'Dib before he becomes leader of the fremen.

The objective is to complement and enrichen the Dune universe, as well as to give fans a chance to see some of their favorite original Dune characters as well.

I don't know of any specifics yet, and I'll let you know if I learn anything else.

There is also a RUMOR (still unconfirmed, so I'm not sure if this info is reliable) that they might release a revised version of the Original Dune books, containing some of Frank Herbert's unpublished chapters that will serve as a link between the original Dune and this new series. If this is confirmed, I'll let you know.

Mentat

cashcow.jpg

I hope not.

They should release all the notes in one book. Releasing the original books with some extra notes is rediculous as I would have to buy 6 books to see all the notes (6x$40CAD = $240).

As for releasing more Dune books, I think they should stop after dune 7/8 and maybe write their own books and stop cashing in on Dune for a while.

So someone use your mentat powers and decipher why or why does this "leaky" worker for the dynamically pathetic duo suddenly apear here in the last few weeks to tell us all about the secrets in the next Dune installments...I think this person is farce and is taking pleasure at our getting all riled up about these "secrets". Whatcha all think on that?

Sounds rather unbelievable, but perhaps. Time will tell which hypothesis is correct ;)

Why unbelievable? We see that writing "canon" Dune books has become a profitable business on a large scale, why shouldn't they exploit various business strategies that have proved worthy? They're probing the "target audience", why not?

It's not likely he'll tell. However, I believe he's from the public relations department or something. The hypothesis that it's a big big hoax is less favorable to me, although its also possible.

Or he's just the most obvious leak-prone employee and perhaps he's being fed some inaccurate information so that he can leak it and not spoil the real thing. It happens in movies all the time. Tell some actors the truth, others a variation on it, and then the wrong information gets leaked, the public gets upset or whatever and then when the real thing comes out, we're all none the wiser...or so they think!

I agree. Maybe I'll read BG/KJA's books in Russian though. You know, most of Frank's books were translated into Russian incredibly badly, sometimes it seems that the translator read the book only once whilst simultaneously translating word by word, and didn't even bother to check his creation :( In fact, the only exception is Dune that had had many very bad translations but one is very very good. The translator had worked for almost ten years refining it. But I believe the prequels/sequels/whatnot-quels won't lose any of their "charm" when translated. Besides, it's much cheaper 8)

EDIT: By "most of Frank's books" I meant only the Dune Chronicles.