Same ol' question ...

Harkdawg

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne is, indeed, an amazing RTS.  If you want something a bit newer, grab yourself a copy of "The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-Earth".

Excellent gameplay and graphics for a game set on a HUGE scale.  You can play as Good or Evil, and you play across the entire map of Middle-Earth.  Excellent music and commentary, and trampling helpless Mordor Archers with my Rohirrim, or pelting Nazgul with 100 Gondor Rangers with fire arrows, never gets old. :P

And that's saying nothing of the Battle for Helm's Deep, or the Battle of Minas Tirith... or even the Battle at the Black Gate. :D

I think I might play it a bit now, actually... :)

Warcraft 3

Warhammer 40000 : Dawn of war/Winter assault.

Both perfect, if you're more into tanks and heavy battles you should go for Warhammer, if you're looking for a harder, less action more magic game then Warcraft is the RIGHT thing for you :D

In that case, I would suggest Conflict zone. It's a 4-year old game (thus you can find it at a good price) but its graphics are quite good (3D, absolute freedom with the camera), it's modern fighting and has an original (and realistic) way of gathering resources (by rescuing or recruiting civilians and even using cameramen). There is no rock-paper-scissor balance and the weapons do what you expect them to do. A machine gun post is merciless against infantry and if soldiers are hit by a rocket, they are sent flying.

i just got Warhammer DOW, while the game looks good, the units are nice, HOWEVER i think its Modern Warcraft. While resource gathering is quite refreshing, i do not like it for multiplayer. I hate things where there is no equal chances, i dont like when u have to capture something and thus someone gets 1 more than other and gains advantage. Or with heroes, somone can creep hes heroe to oblivon and uve lost the game. In emperor you have unit veterancy and while veteran units are better they do not make big shift on the outcome.

I do not like the units abilities, wich has been my beef with many present day games. U make a unit and it has 10 more options/abilites/spells/upgrades. A unit oughta be with 1 purpose, no need for 10 more options to enchance it, now and build 5 diffrent units, u get 50 diffrent options, thus makeing the game WAAAY complex and being complex is not that fun, its rather frusturating.

The upgrades is another bad spot for this game @ multiplayer level, u have all those bzillion upgrades and each take some time to get, but in multiplayer ud have to upgrade them each game takeing shitloads of time ... in emperor u got several upgrades for buildings and BOOM, u got the money ? u got the upgrade, fast and done.

Also i dont like the 5 barracks u can build 5 men simoltaneously, i like old WW style of just speeding up the process.

Nowdays, companies just try to make more complex and complex games, add new options each game, enchantments, upgrades, abilites, spells while in the end it may look cool, but its absolutaley annoying atleast in multiplayer.

Keep it rather simple, with complexness to a degree = fun , wich a game oughta be.

Ill play the Warhammer campaigns, probably the expansion aswell, but thats it, the dream of a good game being developed nowdays is getting slimmer and slimmer.

Well, conflict zone has none of these problems. No heroes, no units with tenths of abilities (in fact i think there is only 1 unit with two modes), no upgrades for buildings. Veterancy for units, but doesn't affect the game that much. And there is a building that speeds up the process WW style.

I like that game very much because it really gives the feeling of modern fighting (or at least I think it does). You might want to consider it, it shouldn't cost more than 10-15E now.