game out of sync

Guest T.n.T.

Guest Dandruff_Man

If your running Win98 SE go to the link in the other "Out of Sync" thread and click on the link to Microsofts Ipx driver fix. If your running Win95 B or A....I have no clue. I cannot get Dune 2000 to run correctly in multiplayer mode on any Win 95 box on the LAN....runs fine on all the 98 boxs...I've tried running 16 bit real mode and played around with all the protocols except... maybe...hmmm...just got an idea...if it works,....I'll post here :)

Guest Dandruff_Man

I just finished playing Dune 2000 finally without the "out of sync" error on the Win 95 box. I enabled the "Netbios over Ipx" box in my network config and this seems to have cured my Win 95 & Win 98 network ills on the LAN for the moment anyway....and I can even dialup and play on Westwood...I'm not sure what your setup is but you might try adding the ipx protocols in your network config and checking the "netbios over ipx" box in the network config. If you don't have a clue what I'm talk'n about here...find someone to help you....and after thinking about this some, as I'm typing this....your probably not even on a network, but on a single box at the house....hmmmm...I guess to summerize....if you know what I'm saying...check it out...if not....find a local guru to help you.

Guest T.n.T.

i have win 98 and cable modem. i ve tried uninstalling the game and removing all patches.

But i doesnt works. any other help for me?

Guest Dandruff_Man

Hmmmm....I see what your saying...but it might help...I have a Win98 first edition box here I put the patch on and everything is still working great.....but thinking more about your setup....you said your running on a cable modem with one box,....Do you have a firewall on the modem? Or a software firewall on your box? How are you playing online? What game interface? Westwood's or Kali's? or another? Fill us in with some more detail on how your playing when you get the error....how much time do you get to play before the error occurs? Anything you can think of to help us pinpoint why your getting the error....thanks :)

Hey, T.N.T., did you read the other thread on this error? I remember someone said somethign about speed differences. If the speed difference of machines is there, or with connections is there, this also brings this error as packets are not properly sent or recieved. It does mention a fix for this. This might be a problem as your using a cable modem. Anyway, that might help. Farewell.

- Jason.

At last i've install Win98 SE. But its same, nothing changed. I'm using the 1.06 patch which is available on this site. I'm selecting internet game in the game.(That means i'm using tcp/ip. and i didn't install ipx/spx. So what good a patch from microsoft if i didnt install ipx. Maybe i dont know how to play with LAN game option. I'm using cable modem and ethernet. But i cant see anything in the LAN game. I think its for a network. So im playing with internet game option.)In the game; i can build many structures and many units. But i get this message sometimes when im selecting too many units, sometimes fighting with another player.

So...

what can i do?

Cant i play the game which is my favourite?

Thanks for ur help...

Guest Dandruff+Man

You still have not told us how often you get the error message? Can you play 5 or 6 games then one game goes bad or does every game cause this error. Assuming your only getting this error every once in awhile....this would be normal...especially on Westwood. If your running a cable modem...on a good day your bandwidth is going to be very good....Your pings will be low...maybe in the 100s. Alot of players on Westwood are dialup players on a dailup modem and there pings could be anywhere from 225 to 400 on their good days. Basically because of your low ping and then playing a high ping player, increases the chance that the game will get out of sync since the lag will tough on the high ping player. You also have not mentioned anything about your internet provider and if they use any type of firewall at their service or if you are using one to protect your PC at home. If you are using a firewall...then the firewall may be filtering packets, and if enough of them get dropped...the game will be out of sync....so I guess to summarize...if this is an occasional problem...then your probably fine and I doubt their's much your going to be able to do to improve the situation but...if this happens all the time...then you need to start checking your connection out with your IP, your PC and modem. Something's up with one of the above. I've played alot in the past on Westwood and it was not uncommon to have out of sync messages periodically if someone I was playing lived in Australia or somewhere over seas.

Kali is a gaming interface much like West Chat. You can check it out over at Kali's site. Kali is nice because it supports alot of different games....which brings up another point....can you play any other Westwood games? C&C, Red Alert, or Tiberuim Sun with the same trouble? Do you play Quake 3 or Unreal Tourney...how do those games perform?

From your IP address it looks like you are from Turkey? If thats true the connection between you and other players won't be that great unless you are close to them geographically. Dune 2000 doesn't seem to have the best network code which causes a lot of these problems...

• 2 weeks later...

I also have experienced this problem and for what it's worth I will list the things that I have attempted to fix ... so take a deep breath and have a sip and sit back:first there seemed to be two coincidences at the outset 1.up until these two things existed I never had OOS ,first I installed the game on a new computer win98 se,with 700mhz duron proc.,2. I had used an editor to change spice amount to try and beat the last two levels( this is in a stand alone situation non- networked)

Shortly there after it all began both on net and local lan w/ two machines connected.

This OOS problem occurs consistantly at various times after beginning game in networked mode 8 bit ,16 bit doesn't matter.I can be playing for 5 mins. or twenty mins. but I have noticed that it seems to happen when I begin to battle with opponent, as long as I'm building or exploring and not in visual contact with enemy the game goes.Once a battle begins it will freeze the video but the program is still running ,i.e. I can hear it progress in terms of explosions ,gun sounnds screams of agony as charaters are killed.

I have tried all suggestions I could find and no change.

These are SOME of them: totally uninstalled game ,editor ,game saves (which really hurt),ethernet card,all protocols in networking, all entries related to dune or westwood in registry.

After reinstalling game I tried to run it with and with out version update it did it in both cases.

In the ipx protocol I forced even packet length and not and both states didn't change anything.

I downloaded ms patch for ipx no change.

That's about all I can remember I have called westwood and spent TOO much money on phone bills no help

although some of these attempts listed above were suggested by those guys

This is the only game I can say that I have become totally addict to ( must be the melange)and IT's really too bad that I can no longer trust it will work in a connected setting.

Can't westwood or EA or SOMEONE come up with a new and improved networking code for this classic?

PLEASE,PLEASE OH PLEASE ! Shai' Halud !

The squeaky thopter gets the grease. Politely keep sending messages to Westwood and they just might help out. Of course, their eyes are a bit focused in the forward direction right about now. It never hurts to ask. Jimatra gave a great explanation of some of the problems. Try and be as specific as possible.

Cal

• 1 month later...
Guest sandpitOZ

Dune has a proplem with this but.

Dont always blame Westwood the game or yourself its in the drivers and communication ports

as far as i can work out. After i upgraded i had that nasty word come up and ruin my days/months.

The only way i fixed the problem was to copy the operating system from another computer with the same build as mine (that had no problem with running dunes on line or on Lan)over the top of my operating system.

I hope u can work out the problem

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...