How to play dune2000 online at the old wol server

muis2004

Now, for obvious reasons, I wouldn't expect to find anyone online when you do this. If you want to play you need to organise a game (maybe over this message board, or perhaps MSN messenger) online and the group, or other person you get together with should all do the following :

1) Start > Run > type notepad and press enter

2) open the file (make sure you have it look for all files, not just txt files, the file in question actually has no suffix), located at c:Windowssystem32driversetchosts

Windows XP: C:Windowssystem32driversetchosts

Windows 2k: C:WinNTsystem32driversetchosts

and WinME: C:windowshosts 

3) now you have opened the file in notepad, add the following line to the bottom of the file (just below where it says 127.0.0.1      localhost) :

159.153.208.17  irc.westwood.com     

Be sure that there are two spaces between 159.153.208.17 and irc.westwood.com

4) Save the file and run dune 2000, things should now be working ok.

I had a problem with that method, then i discovered (with the help of pain I should mention ;)) that even if you see a different text and you dont see the line "127.0.0.1      localhost" you should write under, just write the line "159.153.208.17  irc.westwood.com" at the bottom and you'll be able to play at westwood on line

• 2 years later...

HEY! An old topic but we are struggling to play through internet with my brother now. I did manage to download updates from this server and therefore supposed that it is still responding and working. So what we need now is some old usernames and passwords since no new ones can be created. I would really appreciate this, cheers. -G, Finland

• 2 weeks later...

:)get a nickname thats not used, you dont have to get registerd or anything. Only make sure name is 8 characters long, and also password must be 8 characters long. Dont change the host file, that was old news. It was in old times when xwis didnt support dune. Xwis supports dune. Everything is still working but no players.  :(

:)hi shy nice to see you on the forum. Xwis support command and conquer games like ra2 (i play this game now, almost the same as dune) yuri, emperor etc. The story how we keep on running dune is very long. Let me tell you only the last part. The problem now is there's much old news on the board that dont work. So the status is as follow. You dont need a xwis download. If you install dune, get the updates, put it on compatible win98 or 95, etc etc you can get in the lobby and play. But still some problems can ocure. Because the game is dead and dune2k dont help that much i didnt make a new topic. I the days that i played dune i got 90 % of the players on line. Thats what you get with a old game. Most problems are with routers and firewall. The only option is that someone rewrite dune and that there must be a free download. But i had a lot of fun those days and still in contact with the last dune players. A good option is RA2, same game, same commands etc. Difference is thats its in 3D and more choice of units etc. Also the same is when you get 3 of a kind in buildings. Let me know if you need more help. You know where to find me on msn. 

hey there sweet thing shygirl hope your good yea iv tryed this ham program dune dont work for me i dont see nobody iv not tryted dune emperor and ra2 iv had it and was shit at it so i sold it on ebay i was poor so i play 007 nightfire and i get my ass kicked at that as well but i enjoy it :)

I can get in the lobby. What does it say shygirl when you try to get on line? Dont use your old name, because after xwis took over westwood closed the name server. And lots of players then took the old nicks. So try another name. I need more info to help. I suppose you know al about router and firewall settings, 8 byte, dont use rc etc. Here is a link for routers and firewall http://strike-team.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=43072

I can get into the lobby ok, when I'm in there it says

"Welcome to XCC Online

8 Players (WC: 3 D2K: 1 Nox: 4)

You have joined channel Alman

If I click Start new game, I get the message

Dune.dat has encounted a problem

And the game shuts down, I've done a fresh install, have all patches , 8 bit, and all the rest of the stuff, but still no luck  :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...