So, tell me... ;)

stefanhendriks

I'd really like to see a new dune2 clone that has updated gfx and user control, but one that keeps the same old feel you had when playing the original. An example would be updating the music so it was better quality, but keeping it almost identical with that early 90s game music. Improved animations aswell but nothing over the top. Multiplayer IP/Lan and the ability to create your own maps and scenarios would be great.

I'd really like to see a new dune2 clone that has updated gfx and user control, but one that keeps the same old feel you had when playing the original. An example would be updating the music so it was better quality, but keeping it almost identical with that early 90s game music. Improved animations aswell but nothing over the top. Multiplayer IP/Lan and the ability to create your own maps and scenarios would be great.

d2tm as i am working on now, has all what you state above. Except for TCP-IP/LAN. It has an updated gfx, it has an updated interaction with units; and building your base is easier, etc.

Besides that, it keeps all the original elements as well, for example:

- building your base as in dune 2 (attach buildings, or to slabs/walls)

- dune 2 interface, but without the text stuff

So multiple select is on, right?

yep!

For more info and screenshots; visit http://d2tm.duneii.com

also, keep checking out this thread on Dune2k:  http://dune2k.com/forum/index.php?topic=18185.0

Again, I express the hopes that there will be a nice map and campaign editor that would allow for creation of various missions with different objectives, etc. etc. (C&C-like mission design, in a word), so that custom levels/campaigns will increase the popularity and replayability of the game ::)

Again, I express the hopes that there will be a nice map and campaign editor that would allow for creation of various missions with different objectives, etc. etc.

<i>that</i> is something for an extention of the game. As i want it first to be an exact clone, but with better graphics. Later, it can be changed/etc. Then it would be like D2TM - Subtitle, etc. ;)

<i>that</i> is something for an extention of the game.

Naturally. I just look forward to it a bit more than to the clone itself - due to my inclination to RTS mission creation :)

BTW, what unit characteristics do you use in the game? I think I've heard some people say it is not known where the unit data is stored in Dune2... ???

There is a unit/structure editor for dune 2 already. A few years back someone was willing to mail me the original unit/structure data. So thats where i base hitpoints/costs, etc on. But, through time i change here and there. If i want to make it an exact clone, i'd better search that mail then ;)

You're re-balancing the game?

basicly, yes. And, the game uses a game.ini file, so if you are not satisfied, you can rebalance it yourself.

Ooh and will you make an AI that is able to build a base and attack and everything from starting with just a Construction Yard/MCV?

that is the intention in skirmish game. I am not sure if the map size supports 4 players, total max i think. 3 players would be best. But then the AI would be smart enough to kick your ass, fair ofcourse ;)

I'm sure there will be an option to set AI players allied with each other, allied with human or free for all.

Stefan, could you please tell something about the possibilities for mission/campaign creation you plan to introduce in D2TM? Or is it a secret for now? ;)

You mean all of the AI will automatically be allied against us?

No. This will be adjustable. What i meant is that a single AI should be smart enough to kick your butt ;)

Stefan, could you please tell something about the possibilities for mission/campaign creation you plan to introduce in D2TM? Or is it a secret for now?

Currently, the only support is SCENx files. So , simple put, dune 2 mission files only.

For missions/campaign creation. I am not sure yet. First step is to make it all work, then later i can transform stuff into INI files or something. But, for missions you can create them easily. I think it will be great to have multiple campaigns; ie, let me brainstorm:

- you launch d2tm

- you click "play"

- you select "original dune 2 campaign" or "custom campaign", when selecting custom , you can browse through a list... (or perhaps just one list...)

- you select your house

- briefing, etc.

I do not plan to use the region.ini files as in dune 2, as i find them unpractical and not flexible enough. But, don't expect any custom made stuff in the first versions.

Btw: I do search for someone who is able to make a cool trailer for the game (ie, MPG/DivX file)... i have a cool plan/scheme for it, but i need someone who i can trust, and who can make a cool teaser for this game. :)