H.G. Wells

Emperor Harkonnen

It has been a while but I've read four of H.G. Wells' books: The Time Machine, The War of the Worlds, The Invisible Man, and The Island of Dr. Moreau.  Of those, Time Machine and Dr. Moraeu probably best fit the sort of social speculative fiction that we've all come to appreciate in in the works of Frank Herbert, so I would probably recommend those.

Dr. Moreau, though, I think has particular relevence today.  Without spoiling the book I'll tell you that it deals with the morality of manipulating nature.  While in the book it uses the process of vivisection (considered deplorable in its day, and probably still so), the important concepts of the novel can be applied to genetic science.  This is supported by the film adaptation made in the last decade which, while -very- poor, was notable for making this switch.

--Bashar

As I think on it, these books -are- pretty old.  The War of the Worlds is not a bad choice to start with as it's an easier read and I thought the ending quite clever.  The slower novels such as Time Machine and Dr. Moreau are a bit dryer and "headier" so if 19th century narrative English is an issue, as it is with me sometimes, it's more likely to ruin your enjoyment of the book overall.

--Bashar

I really like "A Modern Utopia", at least I think it's called that (I rented it from the library) and love War of the Worlds.  Brilliant book, Time Machine is good, so is Island of Dr Moreau.  Off hand, I can't think of any others of him but I know they exist.