Hurricane Katrina

Andrew

Well in this case the first line of evacuation procedures falls more on a State and local level, not Washington. I just think Equal blame resides there pretty damn heavily as well. Especially when an entire city is in a cereal bowl below sea level, you better have a reasonably reliable course of action, not hope for the best by moving who you can to a football stadium that itself was not even remotely prepared to handle people in any way. Just my opinion but for starters, the mayor of New Orleans, and several other Louisiana officials that were first to throw all blame right away, should have been along side of Bush when he took some responsibility for the aftermath trainwreck.

I completely agree with that. A lot more people than just Bush and the leadership of FEMA are to blame.

And being poor is not an excuse for being under informed, and dismiss the importance and urgency of whats going on, or about to happen.

Actually, they stayed in the city because they didn't have the means to leave, not because they didn't care or were under-informed.

On another note, here's A Letter to All Who Voted for George W. Bush from Michael Moore.

I completely agree with that. A lot more people than just Bush and the leadership of FEMA are to blame.

Actually, they stayed in the city because they didn't have the means to leave, not because they didn't care or were under-informed.

That's not true. There were empty buses driving around for the mandatory evacuation. There's no excuse for a lot of the people.

I sure hope Texas has a better plan than Louisiana.  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7845030

Because this one has nothing to do but strengthen.

Latest Loop of Rita..http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/gmex-vis-loop.html If you check the box labeled Tropical Forecast Points I believe it is, shows exactly where it's going.

Yeesh! Nuke it! Fuel bomb it or something, :P damn this is crazy. 

Interesting link Ordos45.

Biological, Nuclear Facilities Prepare For Rita

POSTED: 6:58 am CDT September 21, 2005

HOUSTON -- Officials at facilities that handle sensitive biological and nuclear materials began preparing Tuesday for Hurricane Rita's projected hit on the Texas Gulf Coast.

One of the few certified U.S. labs handling the world's most infectious, lethal viruses is at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, which is less than a mile from the Galveston seawall.

Lab director Michael R. Holbrook said workers destroyed lab cultures in which viruses were growing on Tuesday and will begin packing the lab up on Wednesday.

The remaining viruses will be sealed and locked in freezers. Then, if Rita still threatens the Galveston coast on Thursday, the lab will be fumigated with formaldehyde.

The South Texas Project nuclear power plant near Bay City will shut down its two reactors before hurricane-force winds hit the complex. Plant spokesman Edward Conaway said workers there have started tying down any equipment that cannot be brought indoors.

:O :O

Yeah it makes you feel safe doesn't it?  Johnson Space Center has also shut down, Russia's been given control of the International Space Station; sure hope everyone's treated the cosmonaut well.

New Orleans Levees can only take six inches of rain and storm surges of ten to twelve feet before re-breaking.

So worst case scenario we lose New Orleans again?  Oh and let's not forget approximately 1/4 of the oil refineries are in Rita's path. Galveston will basically be destroyed if Rita hits as a Category 4 or 5.  *points to Scar's article quote* Houston will most likely suffer damage.

A friend just outside the mandatory evacuation zone sent me a picture from her city's webcam over the highway.  This is 2:41AM, Mountain Time.  Average speed 2-5mph.  Notice about 2 cars on the inbound side, bumper to bumper going out.

240.jpg

Looks like the US is in for another battering, just watching CNN only USA news channel i get. Had to laugh when one reporter states "only the die hards and the totally stupid have stayed in Galviston" Wonder which catorgory he falls into, stood on the beach wih his camera crew.

Looks like RITA could do for New Orleans as well as Texas, wonder how long before the Bin Laden video comes out GOD punished the American for there devil worshipping ways.

The nuclear option

"Occasionally, somebody suggests detonating a nuclear weapon to shatter a storm.

Researchers say hurricanes would dwarf such measures. For example, Hurricane Rita measures about 3,500 miles (5,600 kilometers) in irregular circumference and 350 miles (560 kilometers) across.

According to the center for atmospheric research, the heat energy released by a hurricane equals 50 to 200 trillion watts or about the same amount of energy released by exploding a 10-megaton nuclear bomb every 20 minutes."

Brown serving as consultant to FEMA

A congressional panel on Tuesday is expected to scrutinize the decision to keep ousted Federal Emergency Management Agency chief Michael Brown on the federal payroll.

LOLOLOL

Your tax dollars at work!

Brown's 2004 salary was $145,600, according to the Plum Book, a congressional reference guide to executive branch salaries.

All that horse judging really brought in some extra qualities a FEMA chief would need.

• 2 weeks later...

Homeland Security is currently protecting Americans by covering up public meetings and contracts.

FEMA Coverup? YES or NO???

Chaos at 'back to business' forum in New Orleans

Also the fact that FEMA is paying 3 times what it should cost for lodging for its people.

On the daily show this week, when people were lodged on cruise ships, FEMA was paying I think twice as much for the rooms.

• 2 weeks later...