Hurricane Katrina

Andrew

This Administration, and others, are responsible for not upgrading the leevees as its been pleaded for decades Gunwounds.  This Administration, specifically, cut funds that were used to repair those leevees for the Iraq War and Homeland Security.  (Ghost, can you send me the link I sent you with the funding?) 

FEMA was also gutted funding wise for those reasons.  On the FEMA front, some notes:

FEMA Refuses All Aid but one truck from Chicago

And of course our beloved FEMA Director, Mike Brown, has a horrid history at management.

Litigation Updates on Arabian Horse group against FEMA Director Mike Brown

Harold and Dolly Orr, owners of RSD Dark Victory, have sued IAHA and Michael Brown for: 1) product disparagement; 2) intentional interference with prospective business advantage; 3) defamation; and 4) violation of the Colorado Consumer Products Act. All of their claims arise out of the Orrs' claim that IAHA and Mr. Brown wrongfully published the EPRB's finding that the Orrs' horse, RSD Dark Victory, had undergone cosmetic surgery. IAHA and Mr. Brown answered the complaint on August 2, 2000, and IAHA filed a counterclaim against the Orrs for fraudulent concealment of cosmetic surgeries on two of their horses, including RSD Dark Victory.

Horsesass.org, Mike Brown still unqualified to run FEMA

"He

I keep hearing about the fact they didn't fund the levee building...

Are you guys aware the first levee that broke and flooded everything was one that HAD just been ungraded?

We are talking about people living in a sinking city in the bottom of a bowl.

Sooner or later you just have to say sorry - you are living in the wrong place.

That's why they are trying to get people to NOT live on floodplains along rivers too.

A disaster is just that - a disaster - old time biblical end of the world type stuff.

How fast a group can convert to barbarism has nothing to do with government aid - it has to do with survival and predator instincts in all of us.

I can understand the looting for food & water - people have to survive.

But taking the tv's & electronics too?  We are talking pure criminal behavior.

Strip the veneer off in a crisis and humans revert to animal instinct.

It would be great if bad stuff didn't happen, but it does and will continue to, no matter what the governmental entities and who is running them at the time.

Everyone wants government to fix everything and prevent bad things from happening - it can't.

It can help cut down on the probablilties sometimes, but it can't prevent anything from ever happening.

We are talking about evacuating an entire city that is underwater one person at a time.

This is not something that is possible to be either fast or efficient.

We can all pray for people and send aid - you see everyone mobilizing around the country to do so.  With the instant everything we expect now, we are seeing people getting irate that things were not done in a finger snap.  While you can wish it would be, it can't be.

I keep hearing about the fact they didn't fund the levee building...

Are you guys aware the first levee that broke and flooded everything was one that HAD just been ungraded?

We are talking about people living in a sinking city in the bottom of a bowl.

Sooner or later you just have to say sorry - you are living in the wrong place.

That's why they are trying to get people to NOT live on floodplains along rivers too.

A disaster is just that - a disaster - old time biblical end of the world type stuff.

How fast a group can convert to barbarism has nothing to do with government aid - it has to do with survival and predator instincts in all of us.

I can understand the looting for food & water - people have to survive.

But taking the tv's & electronics too?  We are talking pure criminal behavior.

Strip the veneer off in a crisis and humans revert to animal instinct.

It would be great if bad stuff didn't happen, but it does and will continue to, no matter what the governmental entities and who is running them at the time.

Everyone wants government to fix everything and prevent bad things from happening - it can't.

It can help cut down on the probablilties sometimes, but it can't prevent anything from ever happening.

We are talking about evacuating an entire city that is underwater one person at a time.

This is not something that is possible to be either fast or efficient.

We can all pray for people and send aid - you see everyone mobilizing around the country to do so.  With the instant everything we expect now, we are seeing people getting irate that things were not done in a finger snap.  While you can wish it would be, it can't be.

Agreed.  And to add to that somewhat..I keep hearing everywhere how this is compared to the Tsunami. As far as the destruction goes ok, maybe somewhat similar.  I just can't get over the fact that a little common sense would have went a long way here. Unlike the Tsunami, this disaster had a 4 day warning as to were it was going to hit. Those that SHOULD have been long gone and evacuated (100,000 I believe) I just will never understand. If a news flash was up on CNN saying a bomb was going to hit in your area 3 or 4 days in advance would you still be there? I think not.

I have sympathy for those that tried to get clear of it, but not too much at all for those that didnt have the brains to even try. As far as the speed of getting help, after hurricane Andrew it was around 10 to 12 days before a single meal arrived in S. Florida. I would say the help, in whatever form it is (and it is alot) is the fastest post-Hurricane relief i've seen yet.

Three to four days? Lay off the crank! The hurrican shifted course at the last minute and increased in strenghth. When the evacuation order came, many people left, but alot of people couldn't leave.

America isn't set up like Europe, we don't have mass transportation systems, we don't have millions more bikes then cars. We drive cars, and those people who don't have cars either have to wait, or walk. And with the looting,snakes and aligators walking is a good idea how?

The people at the convention center and at the superdome were betrayed, they were told to go there to await busses to pick them up, busses that took forever to get their.

Three to four days? Lay off the crank! The hurrican shifted course at the last minute and increased in strenghth. When the evacuation order came, many people left, but alot of people couldn't leave.

Yes, 3 to 4 days prior to it making landfall warnings were given across the freakin world pretty much. The model used for predicting where it was going to hit gives in detail were if any miscalculations or room for error will occur. Nothing at all changed course outside of the prediction models timelines and areas of strike probabilities. In short, Worst case scenario  you have 24-48 hrs warning where it's going to hit. But thats not the case these days, you can pretty much bet your ass it's going exactly were the model predicts it, and when they say it is a catagory 4 or 5 hurricane, you better not take your chances and become an instant dumbass to what is about to occur. So yes, lack of common sense played a huge role here unfortunately.

Thye should have been able to leave. Did you see the images of the hundreds of school buses in NO coverred in water? Why the hell were those not used to get everyone out? That would be the governments fault, but even still there were people who chose to stay. Those that chose to stay shouldn't be complaining, they just made matters worse for rescue operations.

And with the looting,snakes and aligators walking is a good idea how?

Well it would have been a good idea to travel  bus, plane, car, taxi, bike, hitchhike, train or whatever means one has, I dunno...sometime before the hurricane is blowing down your front doors. All i'm trying to say is there were way too many that didn't take it seriously, and if they really did they wouldn't be worried about gators, looters snakes etc. Not everyone could have been out of harms way, but a shitload of people could have.

Must agree with Scar and Gunwounds there, to quote Scar on people getting out:

Not everyone could have been out of harms way, but a shitload of people could have.

And now we have people whose homes are flooded and they tell FEMA they don't want to leave.  ::)

Regarding to what someone said about violences and disasters:

this year we had lots of floodings too ( absolutely no warning as they were caused by massive rains - you can predict where is going to rain but you cannot predict how much) and people didn't react violently.

I mean, there were people that refused to abandon their homes because they were afraid of thieves... but no-one shot, killed, raped, etc... At most scavanging among the ruins.

So, no, I don't expect the people to react violently when it comes to a disaster. I imagine people running for their lives, helping the authorities, or doing something else. Violence during such a period is illogical.

Oh, and by the way, there are lots of countries sending help to USA:

Mexico - ships and helicopters

Cuba (!!!) - medicine and over 1000 medical personnel

Iran (!!!)

Venezuela - 100.000 barrils of oil

Kuweit, UAE, Oman donated around 1.100.000.000 $

Afganistan donated 100.000 $

So help is offered.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4220246.stm

Bush is to head an inquiry? Is this a new level of presidential control in the US, or is it common practice for presidents to control potential sources of criticism of their administration (so overtly, at least)?

Exactly what I was thinking. How can US citizens ever accept the results as valid and impartial?

Shouldn't an independant organization do this?

Thats like if there is corruption in a police force, the police force themselves will do an investigation...

Bush must have missed ethics class among others.

Well, look at what occurred after 09/11. The 09/11 commission reported what they discovered, and it was hard to blame President Bush for much, and I believe they were an independent organization (I may be wrong, I just don't remember). With President Bush looking much more at fault now, it's probably a political move to oversee the current hearings on what went wrong/right.

The aid is directed at the Red Cross fund for Hurricane Katrina, not at the US of A government. Of course, Bush will reject all direct aid he gets from any countries. Countries like Venezuela and Iran aren't really at good terms with the US of A and their offer of aid is just to irk the Americans.