The quality of parenting...

I havn't posted in well over a year, my linguil skills are pretty rusty so i'll probably give the wrong idea but please try to add to the debate rather than flame me.

www.mavav.com, after seeing this i went quite crazy. Maybe computer games arn't satan, perhaps, just perhaps the flashing images don't turn little angels into bloodthirsty murderers. Maybe the games didn't turn your child into a slob, maybe it was your poor motavational skills. And here's a long shot, maybe your child isn't failing at school because he shot an alien last night, maybe it's because your son is a FRIKKIN IDIOT.

Maybe you are willing to blame anything and anybody exept yourself for your child's failings in life.

"MacDonalds made my son/daughter fat" - no, if macdonalds was the cause then every human being within a 2 mile radius of it would be morbidly obease. The fact is, i live near a macdonalds, a pizza hut and a KFC, yet if anything i'm underweight.   

Well i guess the billionare MacDonalds has it in for your son/daughter and they just don't care about the joneses' perfectly healthy child next door.

THERE ARE 2 POSSIBLE REASONS FOR YOUR CHILD OBESITY

1)It is genetic 

2)It is because you never taught your child self restriction

EITHER WAY IT IS YOUR FAULT

instead of blaming McDonalds

- blame god for making potatoes

- blame potatoes for being so easy to prepare

- blame the chips for not leaping out of your childs mouth

or...

- blame your poor parenting skills

And to make things worse, your inability to take blame is spreading to your children "it wasn't me", "i didn't do it" blatent lies, i know as i am in secondary school (high school),nothing is ever your fault, "he made me", "he started it". 

i pity those children, it has been proven that your behaviour is almost completly based on how you were brought up, the wolf child documentery proved this. Every generation it gets worse.

please feel free to express your views.

and i would love to see someone manage to disagree. 

See I was a bit fat but the problem is that I'm a lazy bastard who likes eating, and when I got worried about my health I excercized more and lost 2 stones, not that hard....

Yeah right, the only reason you exercised more was cos we kept calling you FATTY. ;D

My doctor says I eat too little :( STUPID BITCH.

Potentially unhealthy food should have health warnings (think about it - supermarkets have to display nutritional content, so restaurants should have some obligation).

Beyond that, parents are free to feed their children what they want to. Pretty much the same with computer games.

The issue with games is less that games make people violent and more that violent people play violent games.

An interesting statement is this:  In America (For whatever reason) the society has largely morphed into one where "someone is to blame for what happened to you".

If you get in a car wreck - and are injured - you blame the car manufacturer for not making a safe enough car.  (The largest two examples are ladders and personal airplanes.  The Vast majority of both of those products cost is due to lawsuits from people falling off on "unsafe ladders" and people crashing their personal aircraft "If the wheel only had one more lug nut and bolt it would have stayed on in the crash and I wouldn't have been hurt")

So its natural to say that its McDonalds or poor health guidlines or Atkins fault that you are fat.  Its not the person who ate too much and made poor food choices.  Its the food industry.

I'm not sure its a parenting issue or not.  I think its more of not taking responsibility for your own actions.  (A perfect case, is the media coverage of a woman who took her infant to an unlicensed day care in a home.  The lady watching the kid gave the kid Generic Benedryl (an non-perscription allergy medication that makes you very sleepy)  Unfortunately she gave the kid too much and the kid died.  Very unfortunate.  So the Mother is suing the lady who watched the kid; the store where the medicine was purchased; the origional manufacturer of Benedryl (even though it wasn't used, they came up with the formula) the shipping company, yada yada.  While tragic a child died; she is taking no responsibility for her own actions about taking her own child to an unlicensed day care.

Another perfect example is a friend of mine (physician) is being sued because a person does *NOT* have cancer.  That person is suing because of the emotional duress because they may have cancer and it took too long to test to determine they didn't (10 days).  Yes blame the Doctor and the labs for not being able to magically test you in 1 second like in Star Trek.  People wonder why health care is so expensive in America.  Ask a lawyer. 

If your overweight, only you can change that.  Even if it is genetic or not; body weight is only increased by consuming more calories than you burn in a day.  Body weight is only reduced by buring more calories than you eat.  Sure genes play a role in how much your metabolism can use;etc and 2000 calories per day may be too much for one person and too little for another.

Perfect example the movie "supersize me"  A normal sized skinny guy went on a fast food diet for 30 days.  He gained a lot of weight, and had health problems arise.  Hmmm Maybe he should have sued the fast food company for causing him to gain weight for the movie ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Multi-causal. Parenting contributes, but many other factors contribute too. You cannot blame parents for an externality that they have no power over. Of course, if they had the power to do so but did not, it's a different story. If you can control how your life goes, I salute you.