dune 2000 onlinegaming lockups (win xp)

mandark

hi!

i have windows xp and im experiencing problems with dune 2000 online gaming. when the multiplayer game is started, it works normal for about a minute, then it just locks up.

i have the 1.06 patch installed.

please help! i would really like to play this great old game online!!

thanks in advance!

-mandark

Howdie!

I use XP as well, and am quite new to it.  The only thing I can think of is A: What is your connection?  If less than 28.8 or so you're not going to have a good game no matter what you're playing.  B: Are you playing in 8 bit mode?  For some reason a lot of players play in 8 bit, probably something to do with lag and what-not.  Nothing else I can think of though.

thanks for your answer!

i've now set up a dual bood system and tried dune 2000 in win98 and had the same problem. so win xp cant be the problem.

im playing in 16 bit mode and i have a DSL connection. but there could be a problem, because i'm behind a hardware router (NAT). maybe i have to open some more ports or something. but on the other hand i can connect to westwood online, host games and start them without problems. it just hangs after about a minute. and after several minutes i get an error message that i've been disconnected from westwood chat.

any suggestions?

-mandark

If you didn't mention it I wanted to ask you. Think your router could be the problem. It depends on the kind of router you use, mayby it doesn't support the port / protocol you need. Or it doesn't consider the signal as a internet signal and closes the connection.

Most "hardware routers" [ the ones you buy just a a hub or so ] close the internet connection when they havnt' secieved a request for some minutes, if the signal you need to play online isn't considerd as one of these siganls it's probbeble [ I think ] your routers closes or denies the connection.

Right, I'm not sure about Westwood Online, but a lot of older servers (Heat.net, Kahncentral.net, Mplayer I think) required something called an IPX/SPX (The spelling here is probably martyred) protocol.  Like I said, I don't know about Westwood, I just needed the protocol to play StarFleet Academy on Kahn, but it may be related.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...