Manners cost nothing

alchemi2

• 1 year later...

okay this topic is rather old but I just saw it when I scrolled down the RA server page and there's a link to this topic.

I have a quick question: don't you think it's a bit paradox that you don't want your kids to see/read swearwords and insults in a game that is obviusly all about war, destruction and killing?

I'd rather have my kids see whatever bad language there can be (they will use f*** and sh** and a******* and stuff like that anyway as soon as they are older, because everybody uses it) than having them watch a game in which harvesters run down infantry or inkvine catapults shoot acid at the enemy killing them in pain or tactical missiles destroying enemy bases. the game might be fun for you but tell me how to explain to your kids that games like these actually show us stuff we never want to experience in real life? so in my opinion this game shouldn't be watched by kids unless they are old enough - and how do you know that they are old enough? maybe when they start using swearwords regularly like every other adult  ;D

Yes nearly two years old.   ::)

Vek you have kids?  :O

I get the impression you didn't read the whole thread but maybe I'm wrong, you don't seem to differentiate between reality and fantasy.

And this sort of thing was/is one of the the reasons why i am always wary of on line games. Many people are offended by what others would call banter or jokey chat.

I didn't read the whole thread, just the first post. my answer is referring to the startpost, too.

I know the difference between reality and fantasy/virtuality - but do your kids? I just don't get the point why the kids shouldn't read bad language but watch a wargame (I'm not supporting censorship in games or anything like that here... I just think it's worse for a kid to see violence (no matter if virtual or real) than to hear/read swearwords and insults). of course both things aren't really suited for younger folks, I just think the bad language is the lesser of two evils because it's quite common in almost every society at a specific point of your life, no matter what your parents told you and how often they had you stop to bitch about something with swearwords (lol even that expression uses the word 'bitch' in it)...

Firstly read the whole thread.

Second the point wasn't about violence or swearing as such, it was to do with the fact that my six year old was reading what was typed on screen out loud to her little sister, i made a point of pointing this out to the guys in the room and one suddenly decided it was cool to run off at the month, my littlest then did what little ones do and blurt this stuff out much to my wife's annoyance. I then had to come off line to appease the missus and was no longer allowed to go on emperor until she calmed down whilst the kids were up.

My on line time is limited anyway and this really miffed me, hence the whole thread.

Kids see everyday in cartoons and on the news more violence than is in Emperor.

it's obvious that if you say out loud that your kids are in front of the monitor some idiot will continue more than ever to write crap... that's internet and it's never going to change. unfortunately not even in a small community like the emperor community  :-

still... don't you think it's disturbing if your kids are around while you play. and I don't mean the violence stuff or anything. I just mean: don't you feel disturbed? I find it very annoying if somebody watches me play or even thinks I might be willing to talk to him...

No,  I dont mind and often have people around me, including madenod.

If someone says I have kids watching, the normal polite response is to behave politely and stop causing potential offence. Much in the same way I had personally said to someone on my mobile phone loudspeaker that some kids I was driving to someplace could hear the callers swearing as he spoke (filthy language, I lose respect for people who cannot talk without punctuating every few words with effing this and effing that) so he stopped, but not before telling me it was my fault for putting him on loudspeaker (well, I was driving, I couldnt really hold it to my ear, what if the police saw me ? :P :P).

• 3 weeks later...

LOL Pawe. the emperor community is the most friendly I have ever seen in online gaming.

if you say you don't play emperor because of rude people then you probably can't play ANY game online, because most communities are either much bigger or have died. and bigger communities = more morons.

• 2 years later...

LOL Pawe. the emperor community is the most friendly I have ever seen in online gaming.

if you say you don't play emperor because of rude people then you probably can't play ANY game online, because most communities are either much bigger or have died. and bigger communities = more morons.

Amen

• 1 month later...

huh...i thought i was the only child that watched (or played).  But when i hear this stuff i just laugh.  If someone says something very bad (ex.i want to !@#$ your !@#$ and make a !@#$% trycycle ride with my son) then you should tell them to stop or they will be kicked out of the game until next match or something like that.