Are we witnessing the end of the EU?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/06/18/eu.summit/index.html

"The two-day European Union summit has ended in failure, "

""We simply weren't able to bring people together sufficiently to get an agreement," said Jose Manual Barroso, the president of the European Commission"

"...requires approval of all 25 EU member states"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2658199.stm

"Just before Christmas, Mr Pizzi read that many people had never got round to changing their old notes and coins. "  So he started accpeting Lira again in his store. "He was amazed by the response. It has been incredibly successful. There are still lots of lire around"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4615781.stm

"A second minister in Italy's government coalition has cast doubt on Italy keeping the euro, and called for the return of the lira"

With the Euro being one of the backbones of the EU, having countries "unadopt" the currency would not be a good thing for a very fragile union.

So with the "no" vote started in France; Italy talking about the Lira again; and now the inability to agree on a budget... Are we witnessing history again - the beginning of the End for the EU?

With the US threatening to reduce its payment (roughly 50% of the UN budget) again, now is the time in history where the world needs a strong 2nd world power. 

My father wrote a nice article about this matter. We should not waste all because of the constitution's failure. The Fourth Empire was made to prevent any world war; and you know, today there could be a revisit for Nice Treaty, then Maastricht, later Postupim, Trianon...

The end of the EU? Not likely. It would take a massive snowball effect to turn the current crisis into an all-out collapse of the EU.

It's much more likely to be a very rude wake-up call, which is exactly what most European leaders need. Europe has been drifting further and further away from the needs and wishes of the European people(s) for over a decade. It's time for a new beginning.

I don't think anyone would benifit from the end of the EU.

Perhaps a better phrasing of that would be "I don't think any of the EU nations would benefit from the end of the EU". I know America would love to see an end to a coalition which could potentially rival its own power. Ditto for the Chinese.

Is the EU done?  I doubt it, at least not yet.  But you have to admit, if 12 months ago someone said that Italy was considering the Lira again, you have said "no way" it would ever even be considered.... Now there is talk.

I think the ultimate problem is the 100% voting system.  At some point the EU needs to realize that majority rule, while sometimes not good for the minority, is always good for the majority.  Until they realize that every country has "veto" power then they will be powerless to stop it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Caid, I do not know for you, but I do not have a wish for a Pax Europeana more than any Pax Microsoftius or Pax whatever-eana. Peace obtained by a static system then demand that this static system is kept, entertained, all this while the "geist" moves on. A static (constitution, etc.) system is not exactly a "new way of looking at things" in itself (while some constitution did instaured new dynamic systems). It is my belief (from what I know) that only a more universal comprehension (and elegant: not legalist hogwash) of the empiric world by rationality can lead to new paradigms which are closer to reality.

An empire, to adapt through time, must not be material in nature but things in themselves. And I also look suspiciously to a Union which is not voted by the population... while it can bring short term advantages (as Augustus) it does not seem good for the regulation neither, a watering down of the geist's energy which can simply be a step for the next water down ("indebtment towards total energy", as economic endebtment).

No, maybe not. :) Still, I should point out that I personally am very much in favour of an EU, for many reasons. Too many to list, so I just used the one that had the best timing in the circumstances.

Well, it seems to me that the lack of a rallying cry is exactly the problem. The politicians seem to recognize the need for an EU, but the people vote against it. Maybe 40% of the population realizes the logical benefits of the regional alliance, but everyone else just... doesn't feel the need. Now, I understand that's not the only reason Europeans are against the EU, but I think it's the factor that's preventing a majority from supporting it.