Playing the AI

ps501

I was playing against the AI, trying out some different ideas... and I noticed something.  I surrounded the AI base with Minos, placed fedys by its factory, and snipers at the barrics with drones overhead (you get the picture)

Then I left to run some errands.  When I came back, the base was still surrounded, no spice was being gathered, but somehow the AI still had funds to make units.

So I started a new game, played around for a bit, and did the same thing.  It would appear that as long as you don't start destroying buildings, and even if you prevent the AI from gathering Spice, somehow the AI still has funding.  Bug in the game, or just something put in by the coders to make the AI on "hard" harder to beat?

I think that hard AI has cheaper units and buildings. I also think that AI never pumps out units at the rate a human would. So, even though its funds would run out eventually, it could take quite a long time to notice it - depending on how much spice it had gathered before you surrounded the base.

Though I don't think "hugely" describes it well. Unless I am wrong, build times are reduced by 25% and costs are reduced by 50%.

Which would make a hell of a difference if they had bothered to program the AI decently. The fact is the build speed reduction doesn't make that much difference due to the AI having to wait about 8 seconds between construction of each unit anyway.

Yes, I have noticed that too.  The AI never ends its money even if the spice doesnt flow and you wait  the time you want! When i play with the AI patch on, it seems more difficult and sometimes it even builds 2 buildings of each! but what makes me wonder is why the Ai never expands to another base..., I guess i saw it when the game was in normal conditions and without the AI patch. Was it because it just got an MCV in a crate or did he "though" and create one to do that?!

Another thing I noticed in the AI patch is that it never uses ALL its unis, it never builds ALL its units. They just stick to half of its units! Even if you are playing with 2 types of Ordos, one makes mortar infantary and the other makes gas...they dont mix! And if they are playing with subhouses like guild, they never make NIAB tanks!!! Those are the best, they just build Guild makers... those suck!

Cant the AI patch be altered so you can Ally with AI or make AI alliances or even to make the AI build 3 buildings of each or something like that and expand?

• 4 months later...

I remember the AI selling all their buildings on a map without spice. It happened a good number of times. We were at each other's necks (though it was more of me messing with the AI), and without even touching the its base with my units, the AI killed itself.

Perhaps a second condition must hold: Run out of credits too quickly when one controls no refinery?