Ordos turtling

Has anyone thought about how a strong a defense an Ordos player can mount against an Atreides turtler? Kobras on elevated ground match the range of minos and supported by mortars, fremen and sardaukar they make it impossible for the Atreides to break through.

Most people believe that if Ordos fail to rush the Atr they are dead, but this is not true. Unless the Atreides player knows precisely the appropriate moment to strike, the ordos player can build a powerful base and hold out indefinetely.

Unless the Atreides player knows precisely the appropriate moment to strike, the ordos player can build a powerful base and hold out indefinetely.

I will agree if your up against a weak Atr. player. But a good one will have just the right mix of advancing units to tear down that Ordos turtle wall. Same for any house, I think it's safe to say that any house that chooses to try and sit and turtle will always end up dead.

I remember a 2v2 game that was me and someone vs spazelord and cbrick and spaze was ATR.  My rock was far away and we were both ordos.  So cbrick did saw rush and we had no turrets and spaze brought minos and killed the base...

Anyway I made a big defense of cobra, mortors, and fremen snipers at my base and cobra, laser, elites, and feds in my spice.  Well cbrick didn't make inks and my spice was always secure so I took lasers to base.  There I held out for nearly 30 mins.  With so many cobras high up matching the mino range, they constantly shredded them and I replaced ones that died.  The snipers killed his feds and elites and my mortor along with cobras killed the geese he through in.  Mortor also killed lots of elites.  The lasers mopped up what was left each time he charged.

Couldn't drone my base cause I had enough aa troopers in it spread and elites in spice.  He didn't think to go ornithopters so I didn't make mass aa troopers.  When he did try to assult my spice I used deveators and advanced carrys when I could get around his elites.

The reason I lost wasn't because of ATR.  Cbrick had secretly, well it was mostly black in his base, had made 50 gunships and totally shredded my base then my cobras.

All in all the ordos wall worked against ATR, but not against ATR with an ally.  So he as a point that ordos could defend well against ATR.

I actually membered this cause it was the last decent game I had.

Has anyone thought about how a strong a defense an Ordos player can mount against an Atreides turtler? Kobras on elevated ground match the range of minos and supported by mortars, fremen and sardaukar they make it impossible for the Atreides to break through.

Most people believe that if Ordos fail to rush the Atr they are dead, but this is not true. Unless the Atreides player knows precisely the appropriate moment to strike, the ordos player can build a powerful base and hold out indefinetely.

Ordos turtling only works against one house extremely well... know what it is?... ORDOS.

Like I said, the good Atr player will kill you because he 'll know when to unleash his hordes. If he waits long enough, my belief is that you can counter everything he throws at you. Mass air attack (either ornis or drones)? Mass air defences. AA troopers are produced faster and cheaper than air units. And since it's a long game and money and time won't be much of a problem, you can even put those crappy AA mines all over the map.

I am saying this because I have seen this happen. Minos cannot overwhelm kobras backed by sardaukar elites and fedaykin. Fremen snipers can kill any approaching infantry (snipers, kindjals, sardaukar) before they can do any damage. And if they are slaughtered by mino fire, they can be easily be replaced. Deep into the game you should have large groups of them. Apparently you won't be producing any other units apart from the ones mentioned above. No lastanks because as you pointed out yourself, Gunwounds, they will be easy prey for the minos.

Of course this is only possible in maps where your base is overlooking your spice field. There is a 2-player map with the two bases facing straight each other. I think that map is good for ordos turtling. I suggest you try it before claiming that atreides can handle anything in late game.

Well, lets be realistic here, no Atr or Hark player even a half-assed one is going to allow an ordos to turtle or make some kind of Cobra/Elite whatever wall. And if it does happen then it will crumble, either fast or piece by piece. But in a skirmish maybe it works ok, I dunno.  Just can't compare what can happen with ai or different map vs a good or equal to yourself type of player.

and    paladine would still be talking about one rare case when u own higher ground to cover ure base and the spice mine but even then haw do u expect to protect ure alley or even attack leaving that high ground behind you. so lets say its sitting duck tactic not turtil coz even turtill need to move.

so actuly it can work somtimes and for a short time so its not a general strategy

Did I say spaze played that game to maximum effeciency?  No...  But I had to and it shows ordos turtling can work to a certain degree.  Spaze knew the game was over so he didn't put much effort into it.  Yea I know turtling would never work on any elite playing at their best.  But it can work to a certain degree is the point.

Also i think spaze might have been attacking in what we call "piece-meal"  this means sending in small to medium forces against a large force and getting killed repeatedly. 

Define the number of a small, medium, and large mino force plz.  At first it was anywhere from 5-10 but then he put in a base right by my and sent groups of 15-20.

"Yea I did that erjin 11 times.  :D"

Lets talk about emperor, jeffyboy, emperor  ;)

As for turtling, I can only see it being done with any efficiency by the Harks, using mass gunshits. Otherwise you can say good bye to spice area, and then the game.

Eventually all your harvs will harv further and futher away. Bad idea unless you want to mass Gunshits againt some strange, weak, Jeff type player.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the game, and I'm starting out playing as Ordos. I'm finding that the only way to win with them is rushing, which I guess would be the opposite of turtling, which most of you agree is useless when playing as Ordos. So are there any other ways to win with Ordos besides rushing? Could someone please give me a good defensive strategy, as rushing will not always work, especially when I get good at the game and want to play online.