Worth it?

Tidelwave

As are most of you, I am quite obsessed with the duniverse. Now I have read the 6 masterpeices by Franky, and I have heard real bad things about the books by his son and Anderson. Are any of these books worth a read or a purchase? Its been awhile since Ive gotten my dune fix.

Get them from a library. The house series can be alright at times, but the jihad books are crap. I bought Battle of Corrin in October and have not read it yet.

I got suckered into buying some. You feel much better after reading them from a library knowing that there is no way you wasted money on the book. And if for some reason you like them, you can buy them.

I'd much rather read the old books over and over again then continue reading the prequels from KJA and Brian. The House trilogy has some good parts but Butlerian Jihad was terrible and I stopped there. For the other 2 Legend prequels, read the above posts.

My thought was that Heretics was after that still good, but Chapterhouse a bit dissappointing (still Dune though)

The preludes (House Atreides, House Harkonnen, House Corrino) aren't that bad. If you read them one time, you will find them quite good. From the Legends of Dune I've only read the Butlerian Jihad, but I think it safe to say that their (Brian Herbert and Anderson) quality of writing reduces with each new book they write.

It is up to you if you like them. Personally I think people who are saying that their idea of Dune has been corrupted by these prequels, are a little bit of whiners. I think it is "safe" to read them, start with House Atreides, and see how far you want to go.

About buying, if you have the money you can indeed buy one, instead of borrowing one (but that my opinion, I hate borrowing books of libraries, they are always dirty and they smell)

listen man, they are not as bad as people say they are. They indeed screw with the Dune universe, which is horrible. Not only that but the stuff that brian and kevin mess around with can be really bad and too "star-warsy" (lol) at times. I like to think I know a lot about the Dune universe. THe major problem with these prequels is they dont feel like Dune, and so they are hard to reconcile to the original chronicals.

Are they good books though? actually they can be pretty damn fun and entertaining. Vanguard said something that makes complete sense. Read the prequels as if they were not apart of the dune universe. If you do that, then you will find that at least the first trilogy isnt really that bad. They do get progressively worse though in my opinion.

The butlerian jihad trilogy? well I have only read the first book, and it was lame. It is up to you though if you want to venture into reading them.

Legends of Dune is probably the most star-wars-y of them all. Nothing against Star Wars (Can't wait for EP 3!) but since it bears the Dune name, it's not something much like Dune that you would expect. House trilogy was ok. I read it before FHD + series.

well I would recommend reading them because it gives you some(-times to much) insight into the rest, and it issupposed to give a hint at the 7&8th book

but do not buy them becaus ethey are not worth that at all

• 3 weeks later...

[Ok, I hope that Tidelwave is still reading this thread but too bad if not]

Tidelwave, if after Frank's material you want a deeper view of the Duniverse, you would approach this better by reading some other things like Niccolo Machiavelli's The Prince, the Illiad, and many other things which have more to do with Dune than Anderson. Herbert was known for reading classics and "deep" material, and we can make parallels with Dune (an example from Machiavelli for example, all the "Atreides" stuff from the Illiad, etc.). Many things can be read which are closer to the Duniverse.