Is it coming?

sniper

Guest Igor Anshki

I know one thing for sure: Dune 3 will become a big Hit!!

Greetings,

Igor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harkonnen will RULE!

I heard there was no House Corrino, and they put in Ordos. I will NEVER understand the logic behind their choices.

Not only Edric O was loosely based on the novels, Noree Moneo and Hayt DeVries were also. It shows that they did research into the novels but chose not to implement it for some strange reason.

Even though the graphics look awesome, at this point in time I predict another Westwood Cookie-Cutter RTS that will totally flop when people realize its the same thing theyve been playing for 5 years.

Even if this game is mildly revolutionary (which i seriously doubt) all the other games that follow the new Dune will be replicas of it. Anyone else notice the Spider Tanks from the chinese screenshots? Gee i wonder where they got that from. Whats next? Navies on Arrakis? The only thing i liked from the screenshots was the art of the Carryall.

It is a well known fact that WW does one thing revolutionary then follows with a billion replicas with different sides (still the same or less number) and different units (which do the same thing as all the other games).

They have no right to even use the Dune name if they are going to continue churning out carbon copy games that permanently put its reputation at risk.

Needless to say, i will still buy the game for a few cheap hours of nostalgia and maybe a day of gameplay.

"This time WW will not fail." implying that they failed many many times before.......they will NEVER escape their reputation.

No matter how great the books are, it's not a bad thing if they don't stick to the novels and just use them as a "background theme".

To make this game successfull, they have to include unique and original units, and they can't really do that if they remain true to the novels...

I don't think you understood me Shaddam... I SAID SHUT UP! >insert flames here< You're lucky Gobalopper wants to keep a tidy forum, otherwise I'd flame you to death. :D

Westwood failed 2 times: Dune 2k and Lands of Lore 3. Tiberian Sun wasn't a failure, but not a success either.

WW does NOT make cookie-cutter games. You're just saying that because you hate how C&C gets all their attention and Dune gets none. I hate that too, but then again, I'm also a C&C fan. ;)

There are 2 sides in the Duniverse:

1. Those who like Westwood's RTS dune games and don't care much about the novels.

2. Those who love the novels and hate the WW dune games for not following them. Also some of them like the Cryo games.

You're from group 2, I'm from group 1. After Dune2k, group 2 has become predominant... until the official announcement of Dune Emperor, that is! :)

I don't care what units they invent as long as they make it more dune realistic, meaning vehicles attracts worms more.

Harvesters the most.

Also they need to have Lasguns and shields,

and let them collide in nuclear explosions.

Some units on suspensors will also fit nicely.

I'm one of them. The dune game is a whole diferent storie. Thats why I like them both they are different. I like house ordos becouse they are new. i wish theu would have complety diferent houses then from the book. If you want to make a dune game fine but if you are going to rip out the old storie put in a new house (Ordos Rocks). I would rather have new houses too. I mean how many houses are there in all? don't use only 4 or 5 get more houses in there.

Edric, im going to try and remain calm and sensible while you rant, perhaps you can take a few prozac and look at the facts:

Why is it the past few westwood games have had the same number of sides (2)? Why is it they essentially have the same units (devastator = mammoth tank WHICH WAS REPEATED MANY TIMES)

Sure they have new and enhanced graphics, but why is it unit formations are NEVER included in a WW game? Why is there no such thing as flanking? Why do the sandworms not eat troops? Why does WW insist on bastardizing the Dune name to meet its corrupt and greedy desires?

Dune2000 is a game that did good at what is was supposed to be good at, following the movie(dont even get my started on THAT). Other than that, it is completely uncreative, lacking any new and original ideas, and it made a MOCKERY of the Dune community! I could care less if WW gives Dune attention.....why would i want them to make another flop of a game that will damage Dune's reputation??

Let me demonstrate the transitive property of Dune for you:

Dune Movie = Based on book (theoretically)

Dune2 = based on movie

Dune2000 = based on Dune2 THEREFORE

Dune2000 = BASED ON BOOK!

Simple mathematics.

I will shut up when Gobal requests it, you do not order me around.

Sounds like someone is still bitter from not having Ordos in Arrakis2000.

There are a lot of people who liked both the game and novels. But there are also a lot of people who don't like the way WW has gone about making their RTS games.

Dune doesn't exactly lend itself all that well to RTS and because of that you have to add things like tanks and other units to make it appeal to a wider audience. Sure it may piss off some of the more hardcore Dune fans but thats the way it is.

Shaddam from what I have heard Dune Emperor will not be a letdown, instead of just remaking Dune II/2000 they are actually doing some new and inovative things. Unfortunately I can't tell you what exactly those things are but I am pretty sure you will be impressed.

And I won't ask you to shutup as long as you keep it civilized :)

Thanks Gobal, it burns me seeing all these failures within the Dune community and people continually supporting them (movie, dune2000, etc.) and not offering constructive feedback. Which is why im working fervently behind the scenes on Arrakis2000 (with A LOT of help from Thufir Hawat ;)) to make the game a great success and something I can be proud to say I helped achieve.

About that shutting up thing, what I really meant was that I won't go over the line (even if I can barely contain myself), but only because Gob won't like it.

AND YOU'RE RIGHT!!! I AM BITTER FOR YOU NOT INCLUDING THE ORDOS!!!!

FINE! Do whatever you want! Who needs your stupid game anyway! (sorry Gob, that was meant to offend Shaddam, not you) I'm sure WW will make Dune Emperor into a great game. WITH THE ORDOS AND NO CORRINO! Muhahahahahaha!

I know when I'm not wanted (Gob, you know what I'm talking about). If this site is gonna turn into a novel/A2k fan site, maybe I should just leave... Damn I'm so sorry Stefan left the project! Now there was a guy who made some sense...

Now that I've calmed down, here's how I see it:

Dune2k was a big dissapointment, of course, but I still liked it only because of the memory of Dune 2. The next Dune game should NOT under any circumstances be like that.

You talk of "Dune's reputation" and WW damaging it. But that is so wrong! The only reputation they could possibly damage is their own. You like the novels so much and want to stick to them. I say the novels don't matter! I wouldn't care if they based it on Star Wars. It just needs to be a good game. Don't get me wrong, I actually like the novels, but I think they've got no buisness in the RTS world. Only as a background theme. And it's people like you that made me start to hate them.

EdricO I don't think you understand why we made Arrakis2k. We didn't make it to copy Westwood's ideas, that's their own job. :)

We wanted to try to create our own game based on Dune but one that didn't follow so closely with what Westwood had done in the past. If you really want a game with the Ordos then go buy Dune Emperor when it's released but please stop telling everyone we should include them in Arrakis2k becauase we aren't going to.

This site is also not turning into a A2k/novel site, I have no idea where you get that from. Take a look at the main page, how many news post are talking about the new Dune game and how many are talking about the novels or A2k?

You want it to be different from WW... I can respect that. The fact that Shaddam's beloved Corrino won't be in Dune Emperor makes me happy enough :D I guess I'm a WW fan and I'll always stay like that. And the Ordos are WW's babies. ;)

I probably won't get A2k, but that doesn't matter...

But hey, it's my right to annoy everyone with my Ordos, isn't it? :D You don't have to actually listen to me (because you never do anyway). Just annoy me back ;)

You think i care about the Corrino not being in the new Dune game?? Geez i would never even consider it if they didnt follow the storyline worth squat! And guess what......they arent following the storyline worth squat! They are off in their own little universe replicating RTS games!

House Corrino is ESSENTIAL to a good storyline that follows the Dune novels, Harkonnen and Atreides are also essential. You really cant have one without either of the two.

"I don't think you understand why we made Arrakis2k. We didn't make it to copy Westwood's ideas, that's their own job." Gob would you mind if i put this in my signature next to the Transitive Property of Dune theorem? :)

Ok, let's draw some lines here, Shaddam:

- Arrakis is your universe, do whatever you want with it, I'll pretend it doesn't exist.

- Dune Emperor is MY universe, and the universe of all those who enjoy a good RTS game. So don't insult it or I'll take it back on A2k.

Who says the DE storyline follows the Dune novels? Of course it doesn't, WW isn't stupid! It's probably a sequel of Dune2k (yipeeee :) ).

And also the Ordos are ESSENTIAL to a good WW Dune game.

Here's a little theorem of my own:

you hate WW + I love WW -> I hate you + you hate me

My ideas for A2k are never taken into consideration, so what's the point in having any? I've given up on including the Ordos a long time ago. There's only one thing I stand for: replacing the Atreides with the Fremen. Just to follow those damn novels more. If you're gonna do something wrong, at least do it the right way! :)

I don't mean to be a jerk, but... don't you need a license to make A2k? :D And come to think of it, I don't see the point of A2k anyway. Now that we know DE is comming up...

1.) I dont hate you: i disagree strongly with your opinions.

2.) Dune Emperor does not follow the Dune2k storyline, you can read that in the news section of this website.

3.) Your ideas and the ideas of other Ordos fans for the inclusion of the false house were taken into consideration and then rejected. I wouldnt be surprised if WW had a license on Ordos, not like anyone would want it. Instead we now have a house fundamentally the same with a different name that comes from the Dune canon.

4.) There isnt a license on "Arrakis" to my knowledge. There is one on "Dune" and that rightfully belongs to Brian Herbert and Co.

5.) House Atreides is the ruling House of the Imperium after the end of the first book, the fremen were the armed forces of the emperor Paul and his family.

Fremen is to Atreides as Sardaukar is to Corrino.

Edric you really can't judge either game before it has been released. And you definitely can't say everyone has the same viewpoint as you, as in Dune Emperor is the universe for people who enjoy RTS.

I also don't think Shaddam "hates" you, he just has different opinions then you. We spent a lot of time considering which Houses to put into the game, your only submission that I can remember being to include the Ordos, which was decided against because we wanted to keep the game closer to the novels. We are not making a sequel to a WW game, that is their job as I have stated before, why can't you understand that?

We are making the game becuase we are fans of the Dune universe and for the experience it will provide us. That seems like pretty good reasons to me...