You have got to be kidding me! Battle of Corrin, Heretics, Chapterhouse spoilers

Mahdi

I'm on about page 560 of the Battle of Corrin and a few pages ago I said out loud "You have got to be kidding me!"

They said they had to write the Legends of Dune trilogy in order to prepare for Dune 7 and 8.

I thought they were just speaking in a general sense.

Omnius sends out the everminds to unknown space.

Oh well, those can't be the ones with many faces, they don't seem like them at all, plus they don't have any connection to the Tlielaxu.

Then, what do I read?

Should be hidden.

Now I want to burn the book upon hearing that pile of shit. ARGH!@@#@!$#

The stupidest Dune fanboy dream battle ever.  The kind of thing that gets thought of by 9 year old kids and made fun of by everyone else in the world.  "What if all our greatest hero's got together to fight all the bad guys?!  Wouldn't that just be so KEWL?!"

Justice league in the 35th millennia. Ugggghhh.

Although that made me laugh.

I don't typically read any of the forums other than Dune 2000 and Other Dune Games (occasionally Politics etc.) but I had to read this thread specifically for the title.  When the news was first out that Brian Herbert would be writing in conjunction with KJA, I was as excited and hopeful as everyone else, envisioning a nice array of hardcover, first-edition Dune books on my bookshelf.  After reading House Atreides I promptly decided not to pick up another of the series.  While I had been teetering in my conviction upon hearing that the latter books -had- improved, this thread has convinced me that they're just more silly adventure stories.

Not that that is a -necessarily- bad thing but it's just not the sort of story I want to read in this particular venue.  I have always maintained that KJA would have been a fine writer if only he'd stuck to his own universes.  Having in prior years been a member of a Star Wars fan community, I can tell you that his foreys into Lucas' world has earned him ire there as well.

If it were up to me to decide who would write a continuation of the Dune series, my pick would be CJ Cherryh whose writing, above all others, has always reminded me most of Frank Herbert's own.

An aside, I am in agreement with Mahdi in that hiding his post in unnecessary.  His consideration in tagging the thread subject with Spoiler should be enough insofar as internet etiquette is concerned.

--Bashar

If this is all true, I will be very sad.

And if it is true, and I meet with brian and kevin I will have some harsh things to say.

fuck that... that sounds so dumb. Why are kevin and brian doing this?

Simple. They had the rights to a big name and just HAD to use it! I mean why not? They ARE writers arn't they?!

http://www.dune2k.com/forum/index.php?topic=17243.msg278828#msg278828

It's not like they could completely screw up, and end up alienating a large section of their predecessor's fanbase!

Don't be so presumptious :P

Ugh, I don't know what'd I'd do if Dune 7 and 8 is "The Atreides Justice League vs the big bad evil Omnius."

• 2 weeks later...

Dune seems to be turning into another Star Wars book-series. I mean, how many books have been written before and after the events of the Star Wars trilogy? Just like Dune - it's a big name, and they have to use it.

This reminds me of another thing, that is soon going to be viewed in theaters. Namely, Doom. So, will it be about hell? Will they be on Mars? Nopes - forget all that! They figured that the name just did it, the movie will be about some base on a far-away planet where some kind of virus breaks out and mutates - most probably taking on the shapes of the demons of the game.

Just a little example of that: names© are© important©.

I still think that BH and KJA have to realize somewhere that the greatest consensus on the Internet is that if they screw up Dune 7 (which I feel they nominally already have with making it Dune 7 and 8... there was something significant about the two trilogies with God Emperor spanning them) they won't last 6 months. Seriously speaking, though, there should be some sort of boycott of KJA products...

Is it my loneliness or it is really true that there is no one I know in Bratislava who read Battle of Corrin? I borrowed Djihad to one guy, so it could be, but these are really things you should not waste your time for. So many good books and you read KJA...  ;D

I never read beyond Butlerian Jihad- good thing too, apparently.

It's been years since I read chapterhouse & heretics, but I remember that I got the impression that the faceless ones (?) were some bizarre lifeforms, possibly offshoots from Tleilaxu.

In House Corrino KJA and BH seemed to go along with this line to me, since the crazy Tleilaxu scientist (forgot name) was said to be thinking of numerous Tleilaxu colonies being made in secret beyond the borders of known space (or something of that effect)

I'm getting more and more the impression that BH and KJA aren't just writing these shitty books because they are shallow, but because they consider the world of Dune to be their plaything rather then FH' legacy.

I think the problem we all have is that Dune, the word itself, means something more then just a series of novels. So, seeing Dune printed on a book not intented as brilliant exploration of concepts of power and religion, which Frank got us used to, seems unusual - if not intolerable. Brian Herbert's contributions to the series will never be literarilly groundbreaking or awe-inspiring, as Frank Herbert's were, which isn't because of content or anything - just because we'll probably never know another author of Frank Herbert's abilities again. Brian Herbert is just adding some latice work and trimming around the elegant and awesome monolith that his father built. Like cloth seats in a Mercedes so to speak.

Hmmm, Do they have heart plugs?

I never read past God Emperor, just couldn't get use to not having Atreides in the books, but my step father was a fan of them and told me how he thought they were face dancers or the fubar thingies(chairs with feelings, awww)

I read all the prequels, the house series being better IMO Then the Star wars action of the BJ series. I do belive that they plan on bringing the machines back, or something. I want to look at franks notes, see what he wanted to do before I ever buy a 7th dune book.

Hmmm, Do they have heart plugs?

I wish.  Angry discussion about the obvious foreshadowning found in the prequels aside, can anyone explain to me why the Bene Gesserit (sorceresses) have magical powers in the Battle of Corrin, but they've magically lost them by the time of the original books?  Is this a plot hole or something I missed because I was skim-reading BoC by the end?

• 2 months later...

Whatever we get in Dune 7 & 8, I feel certain that KJA/BH created the "Legends of Dune" trilogy to create a bookend for the whole saga from beginning to end... a menace seen/foreshadowed in their Legends of Dune trilogy coming full circle in Dune 7 & 8 so KJA/BH can sit at home and go, "Yeah! We wrote the beginning and the end of the whole thing... Frank Herbert just kinda filled in the middle! Yeah, we rock!"

Keep in mind a chronological timeline of events...

1) Kevin & Brian grudgingly decide to write the Prelude to Dune Trilogy (House Atreides, Harkonnen, Corrino).

2) Safety deposit box is discovered from Frank Herbert, containing outline to Dune 7.

3) * All of a sudden, KJA/BH announced they're going to do Dune 7 from the newly received outline from FH...... but first, they're going to do the Legends of Dune (Butlerian Jihad) trilogy first, and publically tell us that "we'll see" why it was necessary to do this trilogy that Frank Herbert never publically admitted to ever intending to chronicle. * Note that there was never any talk of a Legends of Dune trilogy until the safety deposit box was discovered which suddenly made their collective writing of Dune 7 a possibility.

It's kind of like, "OK, we have a legitimate outline for Dune 7. We busted our asses and did the Prelude to Dune trilogy, so OK, the fanboys owe us a little for our hard work. We now know what was supposed to happen in Dune 7, so in order for us to feel like good writers on the same plane of existance as Frank Herbert, we're gonna pull Legends of Dune trilogy out of our ass to connect this new trilogy of ours to the last novel which we'll also write, Dune 7 -- which by the way we lack the prose to do properly in one novel so we're making 2, actually, Dune 7 and 8 -- booyah! We're in the sci-fi writers hall'o fame, my homies!"

Changed the last word in your post NeoDevilbane to something less offensive :)

I feel your pain. I payed $35 for Battle of Corrin last September, and I havn't even read the first page yet, what a waste. Would rather get other Frank Herbert (not neccessarily Dune) books to read.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think anyone really knew.

Although since Frank wrote notes for Dune 7, then he would have most likely at some point in his life if he had lived longer, would have written it.

I think he would have definitely written Dune 7, but as for the prequels, I hope he wasn't thinking about it :P

• 2 weeks later...

Well, let's be clear about what we're talking about with Dune 7 and do some rumor control.

It's NOT JUST SOME RANDOM NOTES. It's a DETAILED, almost chapter-by-chapter OUTLINE written by Frank Herbert before he died for a single novel, Dune 7, left in a safety deposit box for over a decade. Unless you are accusing Brian Herbert of lying about this, about his dead father, then we have to accept it as gospel.

There should be a minimal amount of filling in the blanks when BH/KJA take pen to paper, which I'm not saying they won't do at all.

The only thing KJA/BH are really guilty of is doing the Legends trilogy as a kind of way to bookend everything, something FH arguably didn't definitively intend to ever do, and also of lacking the prose to do Dune 7 as a single novel (as FH intended) but stretching it to two novels.

BH/KJA have adamantly said through the development of the House and Legends books that, of the Legends trilogy, "After you read Dune 7, you'll understand why we did the Legends books first! Trust us!" So it's kind of like they looked at the outline for Dune 7 and went, "OK, cool, we're gonna make Dune 7, but to really get our names onto Dune, we're gonna do a pseudo prequel to what's gonna happen in Dune 7 and do the Butlerian Jihad!"